NEW!! MK 2 Cupra in testing pics / and possible Leon SUV(?)

CUPRAGREY

2FAST
Jun 14, 2004
Bucks/Herts
Just had some more info and the launch date for the FR models is Saturday 15th July.

Looks like the Leon will have standard Bi-xenon lights with A.F.S.
(adaptive front lighting system - enables lights to adapt to the shape of the road and better visibility when taking bends)
There is a possibility that the standard wheels may be 18" although I would have thought this would be an option unless the Leon Cupra comes out on 19???

darrellr

Apr 2, 2006
monmouth
CUPRAGREY said:
SEAT Leon
Specification highlights

So the differences from the Sport are:

Exclusive FR front and rear bumpers
Exclusive FR sport steering wheel in leather
Exclusive FR sport seats
Exclusive FR 17" alloy wheels

MP3 compatible CD player (£40 option for Sport)
Door mirrors painted in silver
Doubled chrome exhaust pipe
Space saver spare wheel (£35 quid option for Sport)

Rear parking sensors are not available for FR
Preinstalled towbar electrics is not available for FR

and (most important) 15 extra BHP

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Unless of course.....

They do what they did with the Ibiza Sport

Which was a PD130

so when they needed the FR, they did some nice FR badges, and put a PD130 engine in it & dropped the 'Sport' lineup

So what we could end up with is a 185bhp FR (5bhp up on the old FR) and a 200bhp Cupra

That would suck the big one, but there you go. The Sport won't have a marketplace once the FR is released.

BeezerDiesel

Minus a Diesel Beezer
Aug 3, 2002
Exeter
Visit site
I've been thinking along the same lines Mark.
VW have just facelifted the exceedingly bland GT TDI (which was badged differently in Europe as per the VAG UK norm) with a dumbed down version of the GTI front end and the existing boring interior of the Sport. And have added some nice BBS wheels to the spec and GT badging. Quite a nice package all in especially with the 1.4 TSI motor, but still hideously expensive.
I can see SEAT doing the same thing. Keeping a version of the 185bhp car as it's probably a lot cheaper to make than the 1.4 TSI.
Then again SEAT do still have the Sport model in the Ibiza, it's just available with more weedy engines, as do VW still have a Sport badged model that isn't sporty at all, and Skoda have a wimpy Sport model too. Confusing as ever. Good old VAG UK.

Skinfakse

Mar 3, 2006
Denmark
My guess is that they will launch the FR with the same engine as in the TFSI! It is a well know secret, that the engine in the TFSI produce more than 185 hp! – The real output is instead about 198 hp! I have seen somewhere between 4 – 5 different rolling road test’s that confirms it! 4 of them ended up on 198 hp and the last one on 196 hp! Some tuners also say, that there is absolutely no difference at all between the engine-managements in the Golf V GTI and the Leon TFSI!
Guess they started up with the engine… but the rest of the car (FR) wasn’t ready! – Then they decided to use the engine anyway (maybe to make a little fuss about the new Leon!), and then withdraw the TFSI when the FR is ready! :eek:)

oi_nutter2000

New interior's in woohoo!
Feb 20, 2005
Ipswich
Skinfakse said:
My guess is that they will launch the FR with the same engine as in the TFSI! It is a well know secret, that the engine in the TFSI produce more than 185 hp! – The real output is instead about 198 hp! I have seen somewhere between 4 – 5 different rolling road test’s that confirms it! 4 of them ended up on 198 hp and the last one on 196 hp! Some tuners also say, that there is absolutely no difference at all between the engine-managements in the Golf V GTI and the Leon TFSI!
Guess they started up with the engine… but the rest of the car (FR) wasn’t ready! – Then they decided to use the engine anyway (maybe to make a little fuss about the new Leon!), and then withdraw the TFSI when the FR is ready! :eek:)

I'm exclamationed out haha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
audi a3

golf gt

both getting the dsg box from the start on the 170

wake up seat , i gotta have that dsg box. with the flippy paddles

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
yeah - whole lotta cash! especially when there is VAT to be added (I think)

Last edited:

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I think it already has one... just really turned down. they remap to the same as the 2.0T golfs that have the k04 varient

Cupramax

Uber pimp meister
Aug 1, 2001
Dont forget its a 2.0 plus the manifold is hugely better than the old 1.8T. That alone could make the difference we see in the new engine plus its direct injection which will produce more power due to minutely accurate fueling. Everything I've seen including a document from Borg Warner states its a K03 (albeit not as we know it)

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
That's what i thought - i swore I'd seen a BW newletter or article that said it was from the K03 family.

Of course, you're right about the FSI - the NA 2.0 makes about 150ps (I think) the 1.8 NA made about 125...

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.