Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest - time is running out to book your place at our annual get together. Free car stickers included for attendees: Find out more

New MK3 Leon CUPRA R Confirmed

Discussion in 'Leon Mk3' started by Syphon, Sep 4, 2017.

1. indyr

indyr Full Member

Cheers for the uploads and details Syphon.

My personal opinion, I am a bit disappointed to be honest :shrug:, was really hoping for the same spec as say an Audi S3/Golf R i.e. 4WD or if Seat Sport did something different like the Focus RS in this category with a torque vectoring rear diff = basically hoping for 4WD and/or something more dynamic for the exclusive R (in this era/generation of hot hatch)... Therefore leaving the Cupra as a FWD unit like a VW GTi.

I am a bit reserved with the MK3 and do not see any major 'R' livery like the MK1 and MK2's - I'll stick with my MK2 R for now - the new R badge looks nice though for the brand!

Good luck to anyone who gets one, would love to hear all about it and I am sure it will be a decent product overall...

2. iScoTT29

iScoTT29 Full Member

Another car that they wont be able to produce on time, a waste of time. They should get the build times sorted and then released this next year with more than 799 units!

3. eltawater

eltawater Full and wholesome member

I don't see the point of this. Rivals such as the Focus RS, Merc A45, Audi S3 etc are clearly a step up and pushing the 4 second 0-60 times.

The range topper cupra R needs to be a step up from the rest of the range to keep up with the pack. Instead, all we're getting is effectively a "Cupra R-Line". It's embarrassing that the Cupra was recently tested against a Focus ST and a Peugeot GTI in a recent edition of auto express!

#23 eltawater, Sep 4, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  4. QuietQuackers

QuietQuackers Full Member

Seems like it's basically a Sub 8 with different bumpers and wheels. They didn't really have anywhere to go given the existing iterations and VAG rivals.

5. kazand

kazand Is powered by Medtronics

How many of those 799 will be sent to the UK?

6. Bristle Hound

Bristle Hound Moderator
    Staff Member

After seeing the pic's
    Its a no from me I'm afraid :(

7. Sonofzelda

Sonofzelda What the covfefe!

Jamie Oliver has ordered one to promote his new range of saucepans. :snack:

8. Kane7

Kane7 Full Member

It could of been a lot worse though, let's face it look what Honda did to the Civic

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

9. Bam

Bam New Member

Disappointed to see the least, only plus is that this will be the run out model and a replacement for the Exeo could be hot on its heels!

#29 Bam, Sep 4, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  10. JsyCuPrA

JsyCuPrA Full Member

I am really happy, as I don't like it at all, just a bling'd up 300. Lot of extra cash for Brembos and a body kit and no 4wd.

#30 JsyCuPrA, Sep 4, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  11. chrispcupre

chrispcupre Senior Member

Copper is the new trend in kitchen appliances not sure about on a car it needs 4 wheel drive aswell

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

12. vicalva

vicalva Cup Racing R - Legend

Sadly the "R" has become a marketing gimmick as it offers little gain in performance. The new copper colour is an acquired taste.

I hope they do a better job with the "Cupra" sub-brand in the future.

#32 vicalva, Sep 5, 2017
  13. nbullus

nbullus Full Member

After just receiving my Cupra 300 on the 1st September, my initial thoughts were oh shit - should I have waited !!!!!

However on reflection (and this is not sour grapes), overall it's not that special is it?

Just looks like a fancy coffee machine on the outside, but I will wait for the official launch and see how it looks in the flesh. But with no 4WD, boring colour choices and nothing else to make it stand out from the rest of the crowd in terms of a big performance hike, its a bit disappointing. The SEAT executives really need to get from behind their desks and get down on the street and listen to the kids.

The UK allocation will undoubtedly sell, but the joy will be short lived as this is just the start and not the end. I'm sure there will be better to come with the separation of the Cupra brand.

14. Sonofzelda

I'm tempted to upgrade my Ibiza with a can of gold spray and a Brillo pad.

15. AndrewJB

AndrewJB SEAT Motorsport UK

Probably depends on demand, Would imagine Germany will get the most. I will try to find out today.

16. Sonofzelda

Phew! Just got my order in - number 800! How many did you say they were making? :santa:

#36 Sonofzelda, Sep 5, 2017
  17. Major Tom

Major Tom Full Member

The least thing they couldve done was put real Recaro wing back chairs in it [:@]

18. RikH

RikH Texas Cowboy

Eurgh....i clicked into this thread...and found a Cupra 300 with ugly bits on.

Shame. They'll sell all 799 though, due to there only being 799. If it wasn't limited run it'd be a dead duck.

19. Curtly

Curtly Senior Member

Thought they should've put the digital dials in this, makes me wonder if they're coming at all for the mk3

20. Kane7

Kane7 Full Member

Wouldn't have a digital dial unless it's resolution was 4k, they look tacky as hell.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk