new MOT user guidleline mean closer policing of aftermarket HIDs.

andycupra

status subject to change
EDITED:
In short, since 2011 aftermarket HID converted headlights were a fail as unless fitted with outo leveling and washing systems as per VOSA instructions.
But as i understand it come may 2018 aftermarket HID conversions will be policed more closely..

There has been alot of discussions over the years around aftermarket HID kits and they are a popular mod. Initially the consensus was these were illegal, then later that they were largely accepted.

However, the upcoming update to MOT user guides, (due for May 2018) are quite clear that aftermarket HID will be classified as a major fail.
see the following link, specifically page 7 which refers directly to HIDs:

'Some vehicles may be fitted with High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps. It is not permitted to
convert existing halogen headlamp units for use with HID bulbs. If it is clear that such a conversion has
been carried out, rather than replacing the entire unit with one designed and approved for use with HID
bulbs, the headlamp should be rejected. '

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...lasses-3-4-5-and-7-from-20-may-2018-draft.pdf

discuss :)

Further EDIT:
there is a comment that auot levlling systems are difficult to test, so in the case of doubt the benefit of doubt should be given....
Headlight washers, these must work, but it seems testing of these only applies to cars registered 01sep2009 onwards...

Last edited:

andycupra

status subject to change
What about LED's as they just look like normal H7's.
For sidelights fine.

For dipped beams, technically LEDs are also not allowed, but at the same time are not specifically referred to, so if the beam pattern is ok then they will likely pass if they are fitted within the headlight unit and back cover. (or if the tester can see these are fitted from inside engine bay they could fail based on not original equipment/inappropriate type for headlight)

- if the beam is NOT ok, - and there is a good chance this is the case with LEDs as this is their weak area and with reflector headlights then there is a good chance they will fail. Just to add to this the beam pattern/alignment requirements has also been clarified and tightened.

EDIT: further reading, i now see that LED headlights should also have auto leveling and washing systems as per HID...

The above is my opinion only.

Last edited:

Haze

Oct 21, 2014
HID's have always been illegal, do you know what makes these regulations 'tighter'? It's always been tester dependant. How do you think this will change ?

andycupra

status subject to change
HID's have always been illegal, do you know what makes these regulations 'tighter'? It's always been tester dependant. How do you think this will change ?

they may have been technically illegal, CE mark, type approval etc, but they were not specifically checked for in the MOT, if the beam was ok then there was nothing to say fail specifically.

The new MOT guidelines specifically refer to HID being fitted to headlights that were not originally designed for this and state this is a major fail.
(there will be major fails, and minor, doesn't appear that you get advisories)
Therefore there is specific reference to HIDs, it lists how to identify them and specifically states this is a mandatory major fail.

as states in the OP:
'Some vehicles may be fitted with High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps. It is not permitted to
convert existing halogen headlamp units for use with HID bulbs. If it is clear that such a conversion has
been carried out, rather than replacing the entire unit with one designed and approved for use with HID
bulbs, the headlamp should be rejected. '

The only 'out' that i can see is that it states "if its is clear that such a conversion has been carried out rather than replacing the entire unit" - if you had projector headlights then there might be room for some doubt, but if you have reflector headlights then its pretty clear they are not designed for HID.

EDIT: after some further reading, the VOSA testing directive that applied in 2011 is clear that if HIDs are retro fitted then the same requirements that apply to original type approval need to be met. IE self levelling and headlight washers fitted.
This is something i was not aware of previously, so perhaps the change is not as significant as i originally interpreted, but i still believe these parts of the rule may be policed more thoroughly.

Last edited:

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
I don’t think led lights need washing systems, my car has led from new (without washers) and because they run so cool that the mucky water does does not dry out and stick to the lens?

RADIOTWO

Mar 6, 2018
North Derbyshire
Well so much for the new MOT I have aftermarket HID's (Not Seat) and has passed MOT last week without any problems, and have had the lamps in for the last 10 years or so

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.