New Pearl Effect Black advice needed

mr. Hedgehog

Has gone to the Darkside
Nov 1, 2004
Malvern
I have studied the posts on here and elsewhere about paintwork care and have a good idea of how to deal with my current swirly problems on my Leon, However, I take delivery of my new VRS next week in Black Magic finish. Instead of having to cure problems such as circular swirls i would very much like to prevent them.

Can anyone advise me on any specific steps and products for this particular paint finish? I am aware a lot of people who have had black in the Leons have cursed it for its easily tarnished tendencies.

On the Leon i am now using wash, occasional clay bar, polish and wax, i have done away with the sponge and am now fully microfibred up - am i right in thinking a wash and wax should do it for the new motor, and then just maintain the wax well?

Does anyone on here use a DA or rotational polisher? worth a go?

newmski

autoglym conditioner

i have a black c4 and i use autoglym shampoo and conditioner. i find it gives a real good finsh without polishing or waxing, also get yourself a real good aquadry chamois from autoglym. does the trick for me everytime

mr. Hedgehog

Has gone to the Darkside
Nov 1, 2004
Malvern
Been looking at the PC thread - are there still deals going on those things?

My cleaning checklist for the Leon is now wash, clay, polish and wax but i still have swirls on the leon in direct light. At the moment using Autoglym stuff. Why do people seal and wax? what are the benefits?

What is the best thing to do with the New VRS? I was going to give it a quick wash as soon as i get it home, and then get a good layer of wax going and then maintain it. Do people think i'll need to give it a polish pre waxing, or not? Whatever, i'm going to invest in some better wax, the Authglym wax goes streaky in the hot weather.

cupra fan

Nov 30, 2001
norfolk
Visit site
Try and keep it easy! just polish the car up to your required standard, seal the polish in with a top coat sealer thats your base layer for months. Then apply 3 coats or so of carnuba style wax! perfect shine and protection for your car, then every so often just apply new layers of carnba wax to keep the sheen and protection up for as long as you want!
( i would give the motor a polish before waxing for sure) new or not
enjoy your new motor!

mark@carsparkle

Abnormally Large Member
Aug 9, 2005
Cold North
www.carsparkle.com
If applying/removing wax/polish manually always do it in straight lines preferably in the direction that wind flows over the car.

*NEVER* do it in a circular motion as this is one of the biggest causes for visible circular swirl marks as the sun then hits the swirl mark from every direction hence the spiderweb effect. You have no idea how much damage Mr Moyagi from the Karate Kid has done to people's car by that famous 'Wax On' / 'Wax Off' cut scene. :D

If your paintjob is brand new then I would hold off any aggresive polish, maybe give it a month or two unless it is really mild (the polish). However, ask your dealer if they have already polished/waxed the car - if yes then I would probably polish it again to get their crap off and apply something half decent.

HTH

Mark

mr. Hedgehog

Has gone to the Darkside
Nov 1, 2004
Malvern
If the dealer has polished and waxed am i going to be OK with just a wash, polish and wax?

I have read threads of people using washing up liquid to get a car back to the orig finish when dealers/previous owners have stuffed up, but really dont think i want to be using such a harsh detergent on a new car!

My plan was, providing the weather is ok, get the car home, give it a quick wash over, then a light polish by hand (currently using Autoglym car shampoo and high gloss polish), and then a good techwaxing. Can anyone revccomed a good sealant for post polish?

The new loon

mark@carsparkle said:
If applying/removing wax/polish manually always do it in straight lines preferably in the direction that wind flows over the car.

*NEVER* do it in a circular motion as this is one of the biggest causes for visible circular swirl marks as the sun then hits the swirl mark from every direction hence the spiderweb effect. You have no idea how much damage Mr Moyagi from the Karate Kid has done to people's car by that famous 'Wax On' / 'Wax Off' cut scene. :D

If your paintjob is brand new then I would hold off any aggresive polish, maybe give it a month or two unless it is really mild (the polish). However, ask your dealer if they have already polished/waxed the car - if yes then I would probably polish it again to get their crap off and apply something half decent.

HTH

Mark

I'd go by what this guy say's judging by his user name sounds like he knows what he's doing.

Starbank

Sep 22, 2005
Edinburgh
I think the dealers grease monkeys had a go at my magic black before I collected the Leon on Tuesday - there are already visible 'swirl' marks in places!

I've just ordered £90 of quality cleaning gear from Motorgeek - did my homework first and then took the plunge on this little lot...

Poorboy's Slick & Suds
Klasse AIO polish
Poorboy's Nattys blue wax
Poorboy's EX-P Sealant
Optimum car wax (spray for when I'm lazy)
Lambswool wash Mitt
Poorboy's Mircrofibre cloth
Motorgeek foam applicators

Enough to start my own valeting company but worth every penny if it keeps the paintwork looking like new!

Starbank

Sep 22, 2005
Edinburgh
Got my stuff from Motorgeek(Ron) today.

Must admit never realised just how soft the super plush microfibre is!

Had a good chat with Ron too, really helpful and top bloke - knows what he's talking about! Give him a ring if you are a wee bit unsure about what to order.

The PB's Natty's Blue Wax really does smell like a Hubba Bubba!

Can't wait to spend a bit of time on the new car over Christmas.

mr. Hedgehog

Has gone to the Darkside
Nov 1, 2004
Malvern
Let us know how it goes. Have heeded advice and will be going with the Poorboys Polish and blue wax on the new motor. Which is the sealant for darker cars - EX-P?

No-one will be going near this car with anything but a clean lambswool mit or a microfibre cloth. No more sponges and washing/waxing on sunny August afternoons - I've Learnt my lesson with the Leon.

mr. Hedgehog

Has gone to the Darkside
Nov 1, 2004
Malvern
As an afterthought - Spoke to the dealer. He told me cars come into the country coated in a protective film, which the dealer then removes before polishing and waxing before thecustomer takes delivery. Tempted to aks the dealer to leave the film on (apparanly its a bit like petrolium jelly but less sticky) and polish and wax it myself with the Poorboys stuff. I'm getting paranoid now, but i desperately want this car to look, and stay looking smart!

mark@carsparkle

Abnormally Large Member
Aug 9, 2005
Cold North
www.carsparkle.com
mr. Hedgehog said:
As an afterthought - Spoke to the dealer. He told me cars come into the country coated in a protective film, which the dealer then removes before polishing and waxing before thecustomer takes delivery. Tempted to aks the dealer to leave the film on (apparanly its a bit like petrolium jelly but less sticky) and polish and wax it myself with the Poorboys stuff. I'm getting paranoid now, but i desperately want this car to look, and stay looking smart!

Ask them what products they use mate to see and post them on here. Also, a lot of 'dealer car detailing' usually involves actually bodyshop work as a fair percentage of cars get dinged/scratched/dented during the transportation process from FACTORY>HOLDING AREA>DEALER.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members