New remap for my Stage 2 Turbo Dynamics TDI 150

turkish

Mar 14, 2003
Kent
Visit site
I have been running a Stage 2 turbo for a quiet a while now and Chipped Ireland and RS Tuning (Leeds) had asked me to spend the day at Paul's (RS Tuning) workshop as they wanted to try some new tuning techniques to get more power out of a Stage 2 Turbo dynamics setup.

I was already running 217 BHP and 340 Lbft, but Paul and Joe wanted to try something new, so who was I to argue.

The aim was to try and approach 230-240 BHP but retain a very smooth map with equal power across the rev range, holding peak power for as long as possible and finally and most importantly keeping the smoke map as low as possible.

They spent hours with the car on the Dyno, trying various bits and bobs which are far to technical for me to understand, so I sat back and watched TV and surfed the net.

The Result on the dyno print out speak for themselves, I was speechless when I first saw the figures, I was more impressed then I ever thought I would be. Performance on the road was awesome for a TDI before hand, now it is just Special. Power is held as requested to 4500 + RPM to suit my driving style and the map is smoother then it was when it was a standard TDI 150. It is effortless accessible performance at any RPM. As for Smoke, again I was more then suprised, I thought that It would be a bit smokey for my liking but no, very little if any on Spool up, nothing on ordinary keeping up with traffic driving, the only smoke appears on full throttle at 4000 RPM + but nothing out of the ordinary for an old generation remapped PD lump. "read more then a standard PD 150, but acceptable for the levels of performance now on offer :)"

This is not an advert, but awesome work should be rewarded so a free plug goes a long way, so if you are looking to go Stage 2 on your TDI I would whole heartedly recommend Paul @ RS Tuning http://www.rstuning.co.uk/ if you are in the UK or if in Ireland give Joe @ Chipped Ireland www.chippedire.com

PD150-BT-Graph.jpg

brad1

is that on standard turbo cause i thought the 150 cupra tdi only remap most of 205 bhp???

brad1

its all ever so confusing, for example i thought stage 1 is basic remap and stage 2 is a custom map including specific mods to get the best out of them
so has he changed the turbo then??

T. Spark

its all ever so confusing, for example i thought stage 1 is basic remap and stage 2 is a custom map including specific mods to get the best out of them
so has he changed the turbo then??

To be fair, its not confusing :confused:

Very good result, any chance of some video's so we can see how litte/much is smokes please? Im tempted :)

turkish

Mar 14, 2003
Kent
Visit site
Yes it's a Stage 2 Turbo Dynamics Turbo unit. I dont have any video's of it at present, will try and attempt some in the near future.

Engine Spec wise, It has a standard front mount TDI 150 IC, Milltek turbo back non resonated system, Stage 2 Turbo, Re-inforced IC Pipes and Performance Panel filter. Running Standard Injectors, no NOS and has been run on BP Ultimate Diesel since I have owned it - oh and the odd drop of Forte Diesel Treatment every now and again.

Today's journey to work was so pleasurable, oddly I bettered my normal daily MPG from 41.2 to 43.3, no idea why.

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
Nice figures glad your happy with the car as that is the most important thing. Just a few questions though.
1 ) Why was 4th gear used not 5th?
2 ) Why start the run at 2250 rpm not 1200-1300 rpm as usual?
3 ) What correction factor was used to get 247 bhp @ flywheel as no wheel bhp figure is shown unless i am missing it.

turkish

Mar 14, 2003
Kent
Visit site
The flywheel figure is 208.8BHP, I have the dyno print out for that too, but have not hosted it, but can do if you need to see it.

I have never had my diesel run in 5th gear, I have been to 3 different dyno's when It was standard / Stage 1 / Early stage 2 and all the different operators ran it in 4th, I am no Dyno expert and dont pretend to understand how they operate, I just leave it to the Dyno experts.

Sorry I have no idea why it was started at 2250 rpm, you can drop Paul at RS tuning an e-mail if you are interested.

T. Spark

I can see point 2)

But as far as I was aware 4th gear runs were normal :confused:

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
4th gear runs are normal. :) All my runs are done in 4th and I'm sure thats what is usually used.

That bit above? Do you mean 208.8 was the figure at the wheels? :)

RSTuning

so why has he only got208bhp??

At the wheels :)

Regarding the question about why i started the run higher up, i find it stops the "peak" on the dyno dynamics graph as the car comes on power.

5th gear pull would be totally wrong and silly fast for a stationary car really.

As you can see on the graph the standard Dyno Dynamics shoorout mode was used for the wheel to fly conversion. All temps are there to see and i'd be surprised to see this car make less on any other dyno, even a maha (i tested a nice long run and results were the same :) )

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
210HP at the wheels is still impressive even if the grossing up to flywheel HP is contentious as always. I still have no idea what my at the wheels figure is to be honest. It's something I should have asked when I had my car last RR'd on a dyno dynamics road.

Even if you use the +15% correction factor that I generally feel is reasonable for a TDI, 210hp at the wheels is still 242hp at the flywheel which is close to what was actually done above. :)

RSTuning

Close enough for an estimated figure seen as its one of the more conservative dyno's used ;)

RSTuning

P.S. this was literally the most these cams would allow, ran out of duration and made only smoke if i went more!

MattFrench

No poke without smoke
Jan 16, 2007
www.rsfrench.com
Very interesting. I wonder what they did or now know to increase the power that much. Did rstunning map it before. Just goes to show maps are constantly developing. turkish who fitted your td2 in the first place.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.