New remap for my Stage 2 Turbo Dynamics TDI 150

C00PRA

hey i was wrong its a stage one that i am getting. T spark JBS said basically what you did but they said they could still map it with power just not to its full potential. But as long as i have the turbo and its quick i will slowly mod the rest and then map it in the future to a higher spec.
turkish just waiting on RStunning for a quote
Stage 1 – MD374

Hi flow GT17 compressor wheel, cnc machined compressor housing, 360 degree thrust bearing, cut back turbine blades, lightening of turbine wheel for faster ‘spool up’, modified V.N.T. turbine housing, uprated turbine seals. Other ‘blueprinting’ modifications. APPROX 220 - 240 BHP

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
I am going for a Stage 2 - MD376 which is going in next week. AmD have quoted me 245 with hardly no smoke so looking forward to it. They had got 255 however they found the map a little too smokey.

brad1

I am going for a Stage 2 - MD376 which is going in next week. AmD have quoted me 245 with hardly no smoke so looking forward to it. They had got 255 however they found the map a little too smokey.

bit of smoke is always good :p haha

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
Stage 1 – MD374

Hi flow GT17 compressor wheel, cnc machined compressor housing, 360 degree thrust bearing, cut back turbine blades, lightening of turbine wheel for faster ‘spool up’, modified V.N.T. turbine housing, uprated turbine seals. Other ‘blueprinting’ modifications. APPROX 220 - 240 BHP

I think your getting model numbers and bhp figures mixed up mate.

Turbo Dynamics do a range of hybrid turbos.
Set 1 - PD130

Stage 1 = MD345 = GT17 compressor wheel.
Stage 2 = MD446 = GT20 compressor wheel.

Set 2 - PD150
Stage 1 = MD374 = GT17 compressor wheel
Stage 2 = MD376 = GT20 compressor wheel

Stage 1 – MD374

Hi flow GT17 compressor wheel, cnc machined compressor housing, 360 degree thrust bearing, cut back turbine blades, lightening of turbine wheel for faster ‘spool up’, modified V.N.T. turbine housing, uprated turbine seals. Other ‘blueprinting’ modifications. APPROX 200 - 220 BHP

Stage 2 – MD376

Hi flow 2275 spec compressor wheel, cnc machined compressor housing, 360 degree thrust bearing, cut back turbine blades, lightening of turbine wheel for faster ‘spool up’, modified V.N.T. turbine housing, uprated turbine seals. Other ‘blueprinting’ modifications. APPROX 240-260 BHP

Personally don`t see the point in buying a MD374, might as well just get a MD376.

C00PRA

but i have no other mods on my car at all, so turbo dynamics said to get the MD374 as my car wont take the other.
do you think it will be ok with the stage 2

C00PRA

Surely that would rip your clutch into tiny little pieces.

my clutch has been fine with a jabba map for 2 years with 204bhp and roughly 330 lb of torque. And the Power gains fronm the new turbo have been quoted at 190, but would you suggest that i get a racing plate for the clutch to strenghen it?

i just need to know what to do because a std turbo is 1800 pound. and i don't ***ant to be spending that.

if any one can help me on where to go to fix my car or what is best to do i would be greatfull

thanks

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
my clutch has been fine with a jabba map for 2 years with 204bhp and roughly 330 lb of torque. And the Power gains fronm the new turbo have been quoted at 190, but would you suggest that i get a racing plate for the clutch to strenghen it?

i just need to know what to do because a std turbo is 1800 pound. and i don't ***ant to be spending that.

if any one can help me on where to go to fix my car or what is best to do i would be greatfull

thanks

What power do you want and how much have you got to spend is the two main things you need to work out first of all. No point in fitting an uprated clutch until the stock item starts to slip really unless you can get a good discount for getting both the turbo and clutch done at the same time.

C00PRA

basically i just want 190 break

i have 1400 to spend

Turbo dynamics have told me that PD150 should go straight in but i don't know wether to trust that.

if you know anywhere that might do it all at a good price i might be able to stretch to more

T. Spark

It will go straight in....

190bhp can be had on a standard PD150 turbo which with abit of searching could be found for as little as £200-300? So why are you going on about hybrid turbo's?

C00PRA

i will look for a PD 150 if i can get it cheaper cheers. just mentioned hybrids because the sales guy used that termanology.
can you give me any advice on where to start looking.
thanks again

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
190 hp on a std pd 150 turbo may not last that long, mine didn't ! The shaft snapped which is common and as lots of us know fills the engine with oil which can be near terminal so be careful.
Glynn

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
Certainly was quoting 200hp and it lasted all of 3 months!
I had a green cotton filter a full stainless had recently taken the manifold and egr off and had it cleaned and fitted a blanking plate which may have given the extra hp over 190.
When I had the hybrid fitted jabba graphed my car before the custom map and it produced 190hp!. I would also say it depends how hard its driven too, my turbo failed pulling out of a junction 1st gear and 20mph and I aint kidding at that.
Glynn

C00PRA

so do you guys reckon that 2oo - 205 will be ok on the one from turbo dynamics. Badger 5 said it should be ok. He did mention that he is not an expert though on disels.

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
I'd love to break the 200BHP figure, but I got 184BHP on my last RR and I just can't justify spending 1k for another 15 horses or so.....

My P-Torque map should give an extra 35HP, so 185BHP.

My last RR was 184BHP, but since then i've had the SFS hoses and EGR removal. Not sure if/what gains i'd see from those two mods. Guess I need to get it back on the RR.

turkish

Mar 14, 2003
Kent
Visit site
It will cost you more than 1k to get over the 200 BHP mark.

A very good so called basic stage1 remap of the TDI 130/150 should yield 175/185 bhp and to save upgrading clutches etc should develop a more modest 280 lbft. Remaps cost anything from £250 to £500. So for a modest outlay you will have a more than fast enough road car which should if you are lucky not cost you anything extra in terms of upgrades.

The issues come with chasing figures, everyone wants the same or more as the next person, so some tuners will just chase figures as this is what at the end of the day makes sales. With higher figures comes more aggressive mapping. An aggressive Stage1 map with lots of torque coming in from very low RPM will cause clutch and dual mass flywheel issues resulting in both being replaced/uprated and it will also put more strain on basics like engine mounts and other components. There is no rule of thumb to tuning, what works on one car will not work on another, what one car produces another may not.

Going up another level to Stage 2 costs thousands, I reckon in total including uprated clutch kit, new flywheel, clutch bearing, new suspension, uprated brakes, uprated ARB's, air intakes, Hybrid turbos, mapping which you WILL need when going over 200 BHP will cost in excess of £3000. Now £3000 is ALOT of money, but if power is your thing then my god you will love it. Again car and tuner dependent, but you should be able to yield at least 220 bhp and 320 lbft on a very low/to no smoke map or anything between 240-250 BHP and 350-380lbft if you dont mind a bit of smoke, anything over this on Standard Injectors and standard cam will result in plenty more smoke, making your car look unhealthy and quiet embarrassing.

Putting aside chasing Dyno figures as we all know on some dyno's they are a bit of a lottery. So as a rough guide, a golf sized/weight car should do 0-100 in 17 seconds when running 185 bhp, 15 seconds when running 220 bhp and 14 seconds when running 240+ bhp.

Stage 2 tuning has really evolved in this last year with many more VAG TDI owners going down this route and the mapping has got so much better, but like I said above the figures seem to be getting bigger and bigger as more tuners jump on the band wagon trying to offer the latest and highest power outputs, so speak to as many owners as you can and find out as much info as you can and if possible go for a spin in a forum members car to get to see and feel for yourself, as what some thinks is awesome might be terrible to someone else.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members