New SEAT León CUPRA R - Details

Nov 28, 2006
Same ARB as the Cupra, but 30% stiffer springs & 19" wheels - the handling won't be identical... but will be f'ing harsh!

Evo magazine have just driven the new 'R' and say despite being 35% stiffer at the front and 30% at the back it rides better than the normal Cupra. They mention that the suspension has longer rubber suspension bushes. They do say they need to drive the car in the UK to be sure though.

So why does that sound nicer than my Cupra? (I've got a miltek catback) :shrug:

Evo also mention that the engine in the 'R' sounds much better than it does in the Audi S3 with a really nice induction note. They don't really say why it sounds better but go on to mention a new intercooler, exhaust and ECU package.

It gets 4 out 5 whilst the new Megane 250 Cup gets 4.5 out of 5 in the same issue.

EmDee

Omnishambolic
Well I can't say I'm surprised that it gets bashed up by the Meganne, Renaultsport are on top form right now and Evo loves them long time.

4 Evo stars is impressive to be honest, especially considering you can't turn off the ESP and it's not got a real diff.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
So why does that sound nicer than my Cupra? (I've got a miltek catback) :shrug:

Scott

different exhaust design (well all it is, is the centre silencer is no longer there)

Sounds better in the car, but doesn't sound like a chav on the outside

cap r 225

the need for speed!
Feb 24, 2008
nantwich
www.seatcupra.net
i'm liking them more now, especially after seeing Alguasuari's black one!

Maybe they'll launch a hardcore version named after him now he's a "SEAT ambassidor"

wishfull thinking i know...

Leonidas

Ya the black ones class, what imbecile decided that green was a good one to advertise it in???? :confused::shrug:

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Ya the black ones class, what imbecile decided that green was a good one to advertise it in???? :confused::shrug:

Seen it much in magazines & online?

Bright colours get column space. wallpaper colours like black & grey won't get a look in

Trumpetman21

Fully Membered
Jan 17, 2006
Manchester
Look forward to the link then!

Believe price will be about £23K from what I've read/heard, around what you'd expect but slightly overpriced IMHO.

lcrb

Aug 4, 2008
lanarkshire
I've spoke to SEAT and as above prices around the 23k mark and they dont expect to have any cars in the country until feb/march

Trumpetman21

Fully Membered
Jan 17, 2006
Manchester
It's everywhere this overpricing nonsense.

New Meg 250 is around £25K base and with extras you're knocking on £29K. The Cup at around £22K looks a better bet - you should be able to haggle 15-20% discount quite easily with a dealer.

cap r 225

the need for speed!
Feb 24, 2008
nantwich
www.seatcupra.net
I think car price's went mad after the recession in the 80's. The government made them cap it as England was the most expensive place to buy a car in europe and everybody was importing.
Typcal really the government bungs them a load of cash to help them out and they just go and take the :censored: at the first oportunity they get, they should be thankfull there selling cars instead of being greedy. 26k with extras sounds ridiclouse.(especially without a diff)

warren_cox

Back from the dead
With VAT going back up to 17.5% on Dec 1st, unless dealers absorb the price of the VAT increase it will go up from £26,000 loaded up, to £26,650.

Given my local SEAT dealer has sent me a letter saying they have shut down, and another dealership won't be taking it on, I think these prices are starting to look a bit too brave.

LCR's at near £27k fully loaded, Golf R's at £37k+ fully loaded, Scirocco R's at £33k fully loaded; S3's at £39k fully loaded, I'd say the VAG pricing book is starting to look mistranslated rather than rudely optimistic. We shouldn't forget the base platforms for these cars start life at about £13k and really they are just family hatchbacks.

If you order it before 1st December do you not still get the VAT at 15% as that's when you took the contract out?

Can't believe we're still waiting for official figures from Seat about the R

Trumpetman21

Fully Membered
Jan 17, 2006
Manchester
With VAT going back up to 17.5% on Dec 1st, unless dealers absorb the price of the VAT increase it will go up from £26,000 loaded up, to £26,650.

Given my local SEAT dealer has sent me a letter saying they have shut down, and another dealership won't be taking it on, I think these prices are starting to look a bit too brave.

LCR's at near £27k fully loaded, Golf R's at £37k+ fully loaded, Scirocco R's at £33k fully loaded; S3's at £39k fully loaded, I'd say the VAG pricing book is starting to look mistranslated rather than rudely optimistic. We shouldn't forget the base platforms for these cars start life at about £13k and really they are just family hatchbacks.

Agree 110%, it's the same with bikes at the minute too - prices are plain crazy.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members