new springs but bad tyre wear

mr india

My ibiza fr has been lower 40mm but only on springs, but the inner edge on the tyres are really worn, what shall I do??? 4 wheel alignment or what???

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I think if you check over the suspension design on these car you will quickly work out that the camber will change as soon as the length of the road springs are changed. Now, to a small extent this will not be a problem as the increased camber will result in improved roadholding, but as you have discovered, leads to excessive inner edge front tyre wear. To correct this you will probably need to fit excentric adjustable TCA rear bushes, or find adjustable top strut mounts - or find some way to move the bottom swivels in a bit. There is no gain without pain I'm afraid.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
what would be better to help reduce the tyre wear powerflex or cupra bushes for the lower front arms?

To correct the camber I still reckon that you would need some non-Seat bits. Lots of people are probably just living with the increased inner edge front tyre wear as sorting it out might get a bit more expensive if your annual mileage is quite low.

All the Cupra or Powerflex TCA rear bushes will do is to stiffen up (tighten up the TCA movement) the front suspension assemblies, which is good - but they will not change the camber at all, though they will reduce the tendancy to suffer from power-on increased toe-in which will also wear the front tyres more than is usual.

Last edited:

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
To correct the camber I still reckon that you would need some non-Seat bits. Lots of people are probably just living with the increased inner edge front tyre wear as sorting it out might get a bit more expensive if your annual mileage is quite low.

All the Cupra or Powerflex TCA rear bushes will do is to stiffen up (tighten up the TCA movement) the front suspension assemblies, which is good - but they will not change the camber at all, though they will reduce the tendancy to suffer from power-on increased toe-in which will also wear the front tyres more than is usual.

I was lead to belive that the CUPRA wishbones were slightly shorter than the other Ibiza's because it is lower out of the factory.

Camber can be corrected by having the wishbone holes slotted where the outer ball joint bolts to the wishbone - then bringing the ball joint in towards the car effectively shortening the wishbone.

0.5º negative is the recommended setting for a road car to get good tyre life.

I get about 18,000 from a pair of front uniroyal rainsports without rotating wheels or tyres to try and even wear out.

L14M_T

THE JOYS OF A 1200cc
Jan 14, 2009
RCT, South Wales
I was lead to belive that the CUPRA wishbones were slightly shorter than the other Ibiza's because it is lower out of the factory.

Camber can be corrected by having the wishbone holes slotted where the outer ball joint bolts to the wishbone - then bringing the ball joint in towards the car effectively shortening the wishbone.

0.5º negative is the recommended setting for a road car to get good tyre life.

I get about 18,000 from a pair of front uniroyal rainsports without rotating wheels or tyres to try and even wear out.

ill have a quick look on the weekend then because i do 40miles a day just to and from work so id happily pay for the correct camber setup as it would cost less that way than replacing tyres every 4months or so.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members