New to Driving, New to the Forums

MikeyTomo

Jan 12, 2013
Middlesbrough
Just thought I would join the forums as I have been spying on you all for the last few months and only just managed to register. I am currently 17 years old from Middlesbrough and managed to pass my test on the 1st of October. Since then I have managed to acquire myself a SEAT Leon 1.4S 16v, which is almost as fast as most of the Cupra R's on the forums :whistle: Picked her up for 600 great british pounds with the only problem being a bald tyre. I have purchased a fair few small mods for the car and will update you in a reader's ride when I am able to post pictures. Hope to spend a fair few years on here as I am already aspiring to have my very own Cupra R or 'Boca' within the next few years or so. Thank you for reading and I shall see you around.

Mikey

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
Welcome young padawan. Good to see some ambitions in the car section.
Perhaps some advanced driving courses to boot? :)

Good luck with the mods

MikeyTomo

Jan 12, 2013
Middlesbrough
I have been pondering over an advanced driving course for a while now but they seem a bit pricey. They are good for what you get but I believe experience out on the roads is sufficient. I seemed to drive in every driving condition known to man whilst I was learning!

Padawan

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
Welcome, though I disagree about the advanced driving not being needed. Most people on the road have nothing more than basic tuition and experience and it doesn't seem to have worked for them :lol:

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
Welcome, though I disagree about the advanced driving not being needed. Most people on the road have nothing more than basic tuition and experience and it doesn't seem to have worked for them :lol:

This.

Especially once I found out that the UK driving test doesn't include some core principles which SHOULD be covered...but are only covered in advanced driving courses.

There are some free ones I believe. Never investigated, but was told by a DVLA person.

I paid a fortune for mine, but well worth it.

Oh, and remember...insurance companies like it too :)

Last edited:

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
Welcome to the forums. I agree with you that experience is the great teacher but advanced courses will short cut some of this, its not so much the driving of the car more thinking like a good driver which will increase your awareness so you gain experience quicker. :)

Would anyone like a werthers original? :D

Enjoy your car mate and stay safe ;)[B)]

MikeyTomo

Jan 12, 2013
Middlesbrough
Especially once I found out that the UK driving test doesn't include some core principles which SHOULD be covered...but are only covered in advanced driving courses.

There are some free ones I believe. Never investigated, but was told by a DVLA person

What are the 'core' principles you believe are not included? Would like to read into this a little more and see if I can find any info on the free advanced course. Also, would like to say thank you all for the welcoming replies, seems I made the right choice in joining the forums!

Mikey

NickCupraR

NickIbiza
Mar 2, 2009
Chichester Portsmouth Area
Hi and Welcome. I am currently doing the IAM advanced driving course and would really recommend it. Its good fun and teaching me a lot things that gets you upto almost Police level. Biggest thing is awareness and predicting what other people are doing or about to do. Its all about delivering a safe but progressive drive, you can actually fail if you take too long to get upto relevant speed limits or do not overtake a slower car so its not a case of slow is safe as many ppl believe. Also will cut your insurance down. Im 21 and expecting mine to drop by upto 30%

MikeyTomo

Jan 12, 2013
Middlesbrough
Are you able to drive naturally or take on the 'ten and two' hand positions? Is there any manoeuvres? Websites tend to give a vague description of what it actually entails, good to have someone to ask who is currently doing it.

NickCupraR

NickIbiza
Mar 2, 2009
Chichester Portsmouth Area
Yes mate when an observer is in the car, you have to hands in the correct place. With regards to manoeuvres you will get one on your final test, so your observer will ask you to do some but tbh i showed mine what I could do and haven't covered them since. You can do skidpan stuff aswell which is going to be good fun although im not going to do it with the IAM as I have a deal through work. You learn and pretty much cover everything from car control and positioning to observation links and limit points.

Nov 1, 2008
birmingham
Hi and Welcome. I am currently doing the IAM advanced driving course and would really recommend it. Its good fun and teaching me a lot things that gets you upto almost Police level. Biggest thing is awareness and predicting what other people are doing or about to do. Its all about delivering a safe but progressive drive, you can actually fail if you take too long to get upto relevant speed limits or do not overtake a slower car so its not a case of slow is safe as many ppl believe. Also will cut your insurance down. Im 21 and expecting mine to drop by upto 30%

Sorry but driving to police level just made me lol

Hello and welcome :)

Tron-19

Jan 4, 2013
The IAM is very good, but to be honest, no where near to advanced Police level.

Oh and welcome mate :)

Last edited:

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
What are the 'core' principles you believe are not included? Would like to read into this a little more and see if I can find any info on the free advanced course. Also, would like to say thank you all for the welcoming replies, seems I made the right choice in joining the forums!

Mikey

It is indeed based on the police driving course here apparently, but don't quote me on that.
Your driver's test/practicals teach you how to drive in traffic suitably. They don't teach you how to best drive your car and also how to really concentrate on traffic and "predict" what will happen.

In a nutshell it teaches you how to control your car in the best way on various road conditions, and it teaches you how to ensure that you "flow" through traffic as safely and swiftly as allowed/possible.

It does NOT teach you racing techniques...which are almost all inapplicable to the public road.

Tron-19

Jan 4, 2013
I'm not taking anything away from you mate at all, welldone for doing it. But the advanced level of driving on a police course is all done at a very, very rapid pace, and obviously the blues and twos/per suit phase isn't covered (and why would it be anyway? Lol). The police advanced course is 4 weeks of the most incredible stress, if I'd have failed I'd have never retaken it. Hardest course I've done in my life!

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Welcome to the site fella.

Congrats on the pass but it's a dodgy time to be a new driver with the weather being like it is, drive sensibly and be safe.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.