New to this detailing game help

intensekid

Hi im a keen car enthusiast and love looking after my care, after coming across that £5000 valet on youtube, i was intrigued as this surely can be done at home.. Quick search on Google showed me sites like finer details..

not looking for there services just a helping hand in which products to go for to get a lovely deep shine sooo...

can someone please provide a quick list of the best products in the following areas:

De-Swirling Polishes- Finishing Waxes- Sealents- Clothes and Polishing heads etc..

Many many thanks Gerald...

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
Hi Gerald, welcome to the forum.

My best advice would be to register on www.detailingworld.co.uk, lots of info for you to read and digest there.

Paul Dalton's £5k detail is the pinnacle of whats on offer, using very expensive prodcuts - is it worth it? I certainly don't think I'd be in a position to find out! But it is possible to get a very good result at home, although for defect correction such as swirl removal you are really going to need a machine polish. Whether you decided to buy one yourself, or get someone to fo it for you will depend on how much time, money and effort you have to spare!

Check out that website and see how you get on. What car do you have?

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
Anybody have a link to this detail?? Thats a crazy amount to pay when you can get the polish bloke down the 'Premier' hand car wash centre to do just as good a job for a tenner :lol:

David.

boss1986

Oct 27, 2006
Leeds
is it the one of the guy on fifthgear or topgear a while ago who only washes cars with a hot water supply to his hose pipe ect and rubbed the wax that came in gold pots or something in by hand not a cloth/mit or anything.

he has the only 2 pots of the wax and keeps them in a safe or something lol
and all his customers have extremely expensive cars. cant remember the car he was working on, was it a maserati?

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
His name is Paul Dalton, his company is called Miracle Detail. The wax in question was Zymol Royale Glaze that comes in at a whopping £7118 a pot (although it is re-filled free forever). A lot of his customers are high net worth individuals with prestige cars, although they are not all exotica. Its was Fifth Gear, and if yo look on the net (think it was good old You Tube) there is the video of him detailing a Maserati MC12. He has since been developing his own brand of products to compete against the premium Zymol items for more sensible money.

And David - Premier hand wash for a tenner? Why I oughta......

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
And David - Premier hand wash for a tenner? Why I oughta......

That was ment as a joke!:funk: id never let anybody but myself touch my car! Unless its being detalied in the spring, ;)

On another note how much notice do you need for me to book her in? i just want the weather to be ok so it doesnt get ruined stright away!

Cheers David.

intensekid

hearing good things about this AutoGlym SRP , ive got a sealey machine polish any more tips on products..

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
I guess you must have a Sealey rotary polisher - in that case, there are lots more products to choose from. SRP is good product when working by hand, but if you are able to use machine there are better things. You haven't said what car you drive, but seeing as you are on the Seat forum I'll assume its a Seat of some sort. VAG group cars generally have hard clearcoat. If you haven't already done so, get yourself some decent pads, I'd suggest a couple of Polishing pads and maybe a couple of Finishing Pads, either Lake Country or Meguiars. When working on the car to remove defects its important to use the least abrasive combination of pad and product possible to do the job. I personally like to use the Menzerna products, for swirl removal on hard ish paints I use the Intensive Polish PO85RD 3.02.

If the polisher is new to you, I'd say the best thing you could do is get some proper tuition on how to get the best from it, safely. A rotary in the wrong hands be quite a menace.

CleanYourCar

If you are going to start with a rotary, definately start with something like Menzerna PO106FF on low speeds.

Only step up to the Intensive Polish PO85RD3.01 if you aren't getting sufficient cut with the 106FF.

There are quite a few details in the gallery section of my site which might give you a idea of some of the combinations.

Also worth having a good look round detailingworld.co.uk, for lots of tips and advice.

intensekid

im being told a good trio for an awesome look is

Autoglym SRP
" " EGP
Collinite 476s

anyone concur ?

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
If you are working it by hand that should give you decent results, although I'd stop short of awesome. It will be very durable though - EGP is a good long lasting sealant over SRP (partly because it bonds well), and Collinite 476s is excellent for protection that will last you through the winter, and looks good, but its trump is durability, not bling.

CleanYourCar

im being told a good trio for an awesome look is

Autoglym SRP
" " EGP
Collinite 476s

anyone concur ?

Obviously I'm biased, but I preffer the Carlack68 Systematic Care and Long Life sealnt combo.

They don't dust, stain trims and offer greater durability. The Systematic Care (Klasse AIO) is very very easy to work with and does a fantastic job of cleaning the paint up. The Acrylic Sealant goes over teh top to add lots of depth to the shine and offers over 6 months worth of protection. Only downside is the Acrylic Sealant needs applying then buffing off a panel at a time, or leaving to fully cure for 12hrs.

Top that with a wax you want to use regularly such as P21s and you have a very hard to beat combo.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.