New Toledo Owner

rk696

Aug 16, 2007
West Yorkshire
Here we go. Another new Toledo owner for you all..

Just got ma new baby (2001 X reg SE 20V, 70,000 miles, FSH) and I have to say, am well impressed with it. I can't believe how different it drives to my old car (1.2 8V Corsa). ;) Got a good deal on it too. £2395 plus £400 for the old corsa. Bargain, I think.. :thumbup:

I've just found SC.net, and what a site!! Can't wait to become a regular when I start 'adjusting' my car. :p

Where do you guys think is the best place to start? Toledo's look good anyway, I just think they look a bit plain. Maybe a rear spoiler?
I'm hoping eventually to whack some leon cupra bumpers on it. Will they fit straight on?

Don't want anything too flash. I want it to look cool, but not tacky [B)]...

p.s. I'll put some pics up soon. I've takejn them already but I can't find the lead for my camera :doh:

Last edited:

rk696

Aug 16, 2007
West Yorkshire
Photos

Found the lead. It was in front of me all the time...

Front end (obviously)

DSCF2195.jpg

DSCF2197.jpg

DSCF2200.jpg

My Cat (Just for good measure) :p

DSCF2199.jpg

What d'ya think?

Think it'll look good with a Seat Sport spoiler on it?

It actually looks better now cos it's been washed and polised. In the photos it's just come back from a 70 mile drive from the garage..

Sam20v

Nov 8, 2003
Dubai UAE
Visit site
SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER!
the 455 end of the tolly is BUTT ugly without!

Great choice of car mate!!!!
hope you have deep pockets because once you start modding you just cant stop!

IMO OEM styling is the way to go on the tolly!:whistle:

Andy_1.8Se

Jul 15, 2007
sheffield
yea, if i had a Toledo id get a rear spoiler. Sam20v ur old Toledo looks great it was on ebay not long ago (about a week after id got my Leon!).
Then engine in yours is the same as whats in my SE. i smoothed the air box and put in a 3.5 inch air intake pipe (instead of the standard 1 inch pipe lol) and put in a GREEN performance panel filter for it. doesnt give the same growl of an induction kit but does make a 'slight' differnce to acceleration. ive also butchered a Cupra R front splitter to fit to my standard bumper. took a bit of time to fit but it looks great when i get home ill try and post up a pic.

rk696

Aug 16, 2007
West Yorkshire
SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER!
the 455 end of the tolly is BUTT ugly without!

Great choice of car mate!!!!
hope you have deep pockets because once you start modding you just cant stop!

IMO OEM styling is the way to go on the tolly!:whistle:

Tell me about it...

You're right about the using OEM parts. I want people to look at it and notice that it's different, but not quite see why.

I think the front bumper from a Leon Cupra would look immense on it. Will they bolt straight on? How much would a new one be from SEAT? Bank Loan? :cry:

rk696

Aug 16, 2007
West Yorkshire
Sam20v, what front bumper did your old tolly (one in ur signature) have on? Looks cool. Is it a Cupra?

Think I'll have to get some alloys like it too. Mine are nasty. :D

Andy_1.8SE, your car sounds good.

CHR15B

May 5, 2005
Scotland
The Toledo looks good mate, I'll also add however that the rear spoiler makes a real big difference - I don't have mines anymore but below is a photo of mines with the rear spoiler fitted :)

DSCN1692.jpg

There is a lot you can do to the car, but not a lot you need to do that makes it look good ;)

rk696

Aug 16, 2007
West Yorkshire
The Toledo looks good mate, I'll also add however that the rear spoiler makes a real big difference - I don't have mines anymore but below is a photo of mines with the rear spoiler fitted :)

DSCN1692.jpg

There is a lot you can do to the car, but not a lot you need to do that makes it look good ;)

Is that a standard Seat Sport spoiler? Looks mint!!

I'll have to get one of those ASAP me thinks :whistle:

CHR15B

May 5, 2005
Scotland
Is that a standard Seat Sport spoiler? Looks mint!!

I'll have to get one of those ASAP me thinks :whistle:

Yip, it's the one available from Seat.

At the time, Seat sold the spoiler primed for £60... I then paid an extra £130 to have it sprayed and fitted.

Was very happy with that.

rk696

Aug 16, 2007
West Yorkshire
It's defo first on the list.

I know a paint shop nearby too, so I'll ask him how much to paint it..

Is it screwed on or just stuck? If it's screwed and drilled etc., i might just let SEAT do it. :D

Last edited:

CHR15B

May 5, 2005
Scotland
It's drilled then screwed in.

Two screws at each end with screwcaps so when the boot is open they're barely visible.

Sam20v

Nov 8, 2003
Dubai UAE
Visit site
Sorry mate, wasnt ignoring you, its been mad at work....last day tomorrow, i fly to Dubai next friday.....been manic...
Yep indeedy my baby was on ebay, i think the guy is happy with her...she is somewhere around prescot i believe.

It was a cupra bumper that i fitted.....got it from a chap on Ebay! i had to be creative with the towing eye cos she was an older model, and you need to get guide profiles....the bumper is wider that the standard and it clips to the guide profiles...can get them from Seat.
There is a gap between the standard wheelarch and the bumper because of the different style, but you can either make your own or buy these little arch extensions....over priced if you buy them from Seat tho!
It looks MINT when its on......just upset i had to let her go!
MK II tollies are ACE!

rk696

Aug 16, 2007
West Yorkshire
and you need to get guide profiles....the bumper is wider that the standard and it clips to the guide profiles...can get them from Seat.
There is a gap between the standard wheelarch and the bumper because of the different style, but you can either make your own or buy these little arch extensions....over priced if you buy them from Seat tho!
It looks MINT when its on......just upset i had to let her go!
MK II tollies are ACE!

Do the guide profiles go between the original mountings and the new bumper, kind of like a spacer? Sorry for sounding dumb, its just i've never tried to put a different bumper to a car before :p

Your tolly does look the dogs knackers BTW..

Andy_1.8Se

Jul 15, 2007
sheffield
This is my Leon, with the Cupra R front splitter on and I've also colour coded the lower part of the bumpers and front bump strips. Word of warning though - if u get your paint from Halfords have it made up, because I just used the cans off the shelf and it’s obviously been there a while and the colour is slightly different. Oh and you'll need allot more cans than u reckon you’ll need. Lol

Not sure if your bothered but the fastest I’ve had 1.8 20v to is 120, that was today putting sum knob in a corsa to shame - unfortunately I have an inner chav and he sometimes just shows through lol!
I still think it could go faster.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1221659&op=1&view=all&subj=2232340785&id=608655710&ref=mf

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?p...&view=all&subj=2232340785&prev&oid=2232340785

rk696

Aug 16, 2007
West Yorkshire
This is my Leon, with the Cupra R front splitter on and I've also colour coded the lower part of the bumpers and front bump strips. Word of warning though - if u get your paint from Halfords have it made up, because I just used the cans off the shelf and it’s obviously been there a while and the colour is slightly different. Oh and you'll need allot more cans than u reckon you’ll need. Lol

Not sure if your bothered but the fastest I’ve had 1.8 20v to is 120, that was today putting sum knob in a corsa to shame - unfortunately I have an inner chav and he sometimes just shows through lol!
I still think it could go faster.

Hehe, doesn't everyone have an inner chav - I know I do :lol:, he came out about 10 mins after I got the car, chasing a Pug 106 down the M1 at 110 ish.. :whistle: Its weird, my old corsa felt like driving a chinese takeaway tin when you got over 75, the tolly just glides, nice and quietly.. :p

As for the paint, good tip, as I have found out with my old car, some tit smashed my wing mirror off and I had to paint a new one, and it never quite looked right..[:@] Also, it helps if you can get cans from the same batch. You'd be amazed for many different variations of Indigo Blue there are...:)

dan83

Talk about inner chav I cant help it coming out too, man I even wana pimp my ride now. I bought a 1.9 toledo tdi 150 bhp sport jobbie last month and I love it, I dont really have a clue about cars other than the real basic stuff. I been thinking about getting the revo chip, an air filter (if they do them for the diesel) and a body kit similar to the leon cupra r, oh ye and some new alloys. It's damn quick for a diesel I timed it 0-60 the other day and got 7.8 seconds, I think it can get better than that too. Any advice u guys have would be much appreciated, I would prob wana get the brakes and handling improved if I am gona get it chipped. Any idea's on best value makes etc?

Cheers,
Dan

Sam20v

Nov 8, 2003
Dubai UAE
Visit site
The guide profiles are basically runners for the bumper to fit onto...
because it is wider....kind of swollen compared to the standard bumper...
you can get them easy enough from Seat. I can see them in my head...i am sure they bolted on somehow....they were easy to put on...will find out for you as my other half did most of the fitting hahahaha.. thanks for the nice comments about my project....may get one out here...if i can find a 150 diesel version!

Inner chav hahahah I have one of those...even with my 1.8 toyota corolla hire car...heap of ****! cant wait to get a decent car again!
i maxed my 1.8 20v tolly at 120 on the A50....watch your revs as mine was well into the red at 120mph in 5th. she really wouldnt have gone any faster me thinks....

Dan83.....good motor!
handling is deffo something that Seat went cheap on IMO on the tolly....its like a jacked up boat on a choppy sea! Lower it....i went 35-40 on eibachs, whacked some 225/17s on and instantly she improved...for that extra responsiveness deffo change your bushes....poly bushes such as Powerflex are FAB!....makes driving really fun..(the OEM bushes will tear/wear out at some point anyway, its a common thing with the VW mkiv chassis)..do a search there are a few threads on this in the tolly section....i posted one when i got mine done!
Chipping will make the motor immense....my other half had a 150 Bora so i know why your raving about that lump! its ace.....
brake wise...i didnt fiddle...as i didnt chip (not a lot you can do to a N/A lump) but wanted to put TT brakes on it....i think they were 318mm or sommit....but it involved hub changes etc....proper ball ache! do some research but Brembo are put on the cupras....they are reputable!:)

Last edited:

dan83

Thanx Sam, I really like the look of the one in ur pic. It's not OTT it looks just right ( I might go for diff wheels tho). I think u said u used the leon kit right? Did u have rear skirts on there? Talking about top end speed I dread to take my car there, I've been to 120, felt the turbo start to kick in and decided best not to go any further lol.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.