New Toledo TDi 105 hp MPG ???

TDI_luver

Jul 11, 2006
Ireland
Hi all, I have a new Toledo Reference 1.9tdi (105hp)

Its 2 months old now, got 6000 km (4500miles) on the clock and MPG is disappointing.

I'm only averaging about 45 mpg on a daily run that I always got 54-56 mpg out of my old MkII Toledo Tdi (90hp).

Maybe the engine is still too new and stiff, but it doesnt seem to be getting any better as the weeks go by.

Anyone else disappointed with the MPG from the 1.9 litre PD ?

A full 10 mpg less than the old less powerful model isnt very encouraging....:think:

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
same prob...

filled the tank on my 1.9 toledo on monday morn and it quarter full with approx350miles on the the trip, do 70mile trip everyday to work, is this about normal? first turbo car am afraid to say!!although think it stil better than my old car!:)

Any recomendations on a better driving style to get better mpg?

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
Hi TDIluver,bit of the topic, but have you or anyone else had the opinion that the reversing light is not worth one S**T! anybody know of a bulb upgarde (LED maybe) and/or lense replacement to clear or a reflector behind the bulb if one is not already present? keeping an eye on the mpg this week, had couple moments of lets say none regulation speed....oops!but between half and 3/4 and have done 240miles, not the best but ok!

TDI_luver

Jul 11, 2006
Ireland
Googies, I totally agree that the reversing light is about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike.
Dont know if there is much can be done about it...it is a major design flaw...you could try a slightly uprated bulb....but I honestly dont think it would make much difference...I thought of replacing the fog lamp on the other side with the 'continental' reversing lamp..ie RHS reversing lamp, so that I would have 2 reversing lamps and wire them together...but then I would have no rear fog lamp...
Any other suggestions let me know... :(

sssstew

Editing your spelling
filled the tank on my 1.9 toledo on monday morn and it quarter full with approx350miles on the the trip, do 70mile trip everyday to work, is this about normal? first turbo car am afraid to say!!although think it stil better than my old car!:)

Any recomendations on a better driving style to get better mpg?

yep agreed, get some miles stacked on it. and also dont granny it so you loosen it up sooner. It will perform better and give better mpg sooner.

Once the oil is up to temp drive it reasnably hard, but for best economy keep the revs between 1900 and 3000 or so RPM. This is peak torque, thus peak economy. dont let it labour too much.

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
tdi, hav nothin in me head for it at the moment, if anyone has any tech drawings of it will try get a modification goin for it to uprate it to my spec. i.e. so i can see when goin backwards, bit of a close eyes and hope there nothing there!!!lol. MOT wouldnt go so well, but dont hav that for few yrs yet, although my luck the cops would pull me on it wit no fog lamp! I would love to get hold of the designer!think ford is the same so mite try a ford forum and see?

sssstew...have been coasting bout 2k in 5th, steady 60mph, will finish this tank off with way am driving now and when get it back in a week or so try it a bit harder as you say. do drive it on the odd time when she warmed but killed my last car more or less, although pug 206s are bit soft! prob have let it labour a slight bit too much.

thanks lads.

topolino

fyi, I have the 2.0 TDI sport and have covered about 22000 miles so far. I get about 470 miles per tank and the trip computer tells me I consistently average over 47 mph.

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
have covevered about 7k more miles since this thread began, using millers sport4 now too and geting 450 - 520 miles/tank easy, not driving like a granny either!!

PhilOfCas

Nov 2, 2006
The capital of Yorkshire
Altea 2.0tdi, done 23000 miles.
Gentle driving this last week (65mph ish)- 64mile round trip, 5 days, fuel guage a fraction below half and 350 miles so far, trip computer reading over 55mpg so far (zeroed when filled up). Miles to empty says 250 mile. From past experience MPG computer reads high by about 4mpg.
Will try and remember to give update when i refuel.

PhilOfCas

Nov 2, 2006
The capital of Yorkshire
Altea 2.0tdi, done 23000 miles.
Gentle driving this last week (65mph ish)- 64mile round trip, 5 days, fuel guage a fraction below half and 350 miles so far, trip computer reading over 55mpg so far (zeroed when filled up). Miles to empty says 250 mile. From past experience MPG computer reads high by about 4mpg.
Will try and remember to give update when i refuel.

Filled up this morning 557.5 miles travelled (computer was showing 25 miles to empty), brimmed with 51.44ltrs, by my calculations that's 49.2 mpg, computer showed 55 mpg. Probably 3/4's motorway miles, 1/4 mixed a road's.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.