New Toy: Leon FR 1.8 TSI

dieselface

Jul 1, 2010
Leon FR 1.8 TSI - Tech pack, Convenience pack, Titanium pack

New Toy

2im19nk.jpg

Previous Toy

Mk2 Leon FR 2.0 170CR – Loved it. Didn’t have the star appeal or an attractive badge but that’s what I liked about it. The build/refinement wasn’t brilliant (solenoid ticking in the high pressure fuel pump with the window down/passenger seatbelt hitting the B-post inner card/water ingress in engine bay) but it was better than a lot of others that seem to get too much credit for their work. It never missed a beat and although I ended up doing very short journeys I never had any signs of DPF issues. Economy was about 40mpg though!

Decision

Basically mileage was the issue. The mk2 was never getting warm during my 2.7 mile commute to work which is not good for the engine, my pocket or the DPF so it was simple – go for the 1.4 or 1.8 petrol. I test drove the 1.4 in basic FR trim, it was okay, didn’t set the world alight though so took a punt on the 1.8TSI being a bit more fun to drive.

Ordering

Ordered 29th May (week 22) I went through Drive the Deal - No problems with this element what so ever. Gave my details to drive the deal (incl. deposit) dealer phoned two days later to confirm all of my details and advised that they would email me an update in 4 weeks. The variant was not yet in production (beginning week 26 for the manual). This obviously changed as I read on here people were getting build weeks of 23/24.

4 weeks later dealer emailed. Build week was week 27 (w/c July 1st) with delivery to dealer scheduled for week 31 (w/c 29th July). I opted to wait until Sept 1st as I was keeping my mk2 until the middle of August anyway. So around 9/10 weeks in total if I was to pick it up when it arrived at the dealership.

Initial thoughts Quality/Design/Ride

No real competition here with the mk2 - Its streets ahead in terms of materials/layout etc. all of which are well documented. Controls are good quality and the technology brings the car right up to date. The tech pack is clearly needed for those who love a bit more (can see this going standard on FR trim after all the offers end - if they ever do).

LED headlights are excellent; they look the part and offer very good light – I think this might actually be my favourite thing about it. Oddly enough my ‘cornering lights’ (fog on when turning left/right or indication) have come disabled which is good as I did this on my mk2 with VCDS pretty soon after I got it).

Really like the colour MFD – good resolution and lots of options that can be added or removed and it improves the overall look of the dash.

Door cards are much better and the lighting in them is a nice touch. The red is easier to see than the white though.

I also didn’t get the headlight washers that were removed from the tech pack earlier this year which I’m okay with as I’m not a fan of these.

I went for the titanium alloys as personally I didn’t like the other 18” available from launch. My mk2 had 17” on so I can’t really compare like for like between mk2 and mk3. The 18’s on the mk3 don’t feel any firmer than the 17’s on my 2 anyway. Road noise seems less but I suspect this is down to improved sound deadening in the cabin.

DAB is good with a good quality signal and the sound is improved even without the sound pack added. Good options with adding the radio station logos etc. - nice touch.

There are a couple of areas they have penny pinched but I don’t feel this is a game changer when deciding to order - hood/bonnet pop is still on left hand side. Also, as I don’t have the winter pack - if you look close enough at the centre console where the on/off controls would be you can see the button is in place with no light installed behind it but a blackout style card instead. These are none issues to me but I thought I’d point it out for balance. :)

Engine

I was nervous about the 1.8 simply because I was used to the 2.0 having the torque readily available. My nerves were allayed after about 5 minutes. :D You do need to work the engine more which is understandable but it never feels gutless at any stage. It’s quick enough for most people off the line and gets up to speed without feeling like you have to rev the tits off it. Even if you are caught out badly and need to drop a cog the box is so smooth it feels effortless anyway.

The sound actuator does its job. I see this as more of a tech toy than anything but it’s good for the psyche in sport mode. I’m not really bothered about engine note as long as it preforms as it should but the passengers love to hear it so why not indulge them.

The engine heats up very fast as promised by VW/Audi engine press packs and start stop is what it is. It doesn't really bother me like others and I tend to keep my clutch dipped at lights anyway so it’s a conscious decision if I want to turn to engine off in traffic.

Mods

Think the back end needs that rear spoiler if am honest – so I’ll be looking at that if it’s ever released. Rear mud flaps will be added when they finally arrive on these shores and I’m considering that key mod. Aside from that it’ll not be much. If I get bored quickly I could look at the stage 1 map that’s in development but we’ll see. I tend to change my cars every 3-4 years so I don’t intend to put much put cash into it that I won’t get back.

Do I recommend one?

Absolutely.

It needs a hell of a clean/seal/wax so if I can get that done this week I’ll add some more pictures.

CyberGene

Apr 26, 2008
Sofia, Bulgaria
Congratulations on your new car! I was having quite a difficult choice between 2.0TDI and the 1.8TSI but finally settled on the latter. I am glad you recommend it and I am in no doubt that it is a great engine in its third generation. My previous car was Leon mk2 with second generation 1.8TSI (160HP) and it is a lovely engine, so the new generation is without doubt even better. The only downside is I have to wait few months for my new Leon :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

mcmillanja

LeonTwellls84
Aug 7, 2013
Very nice, picked up my 184 today also with titanium pack. Only driven it home so far but cant wait until tomorrow when driving it 30 miles into work.

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
Nice writeup, car looks good!

Seem to be a lot of people switching from diesels to petrols this time round :)

terryt

Aug 16, 2013
Great post. I've always thought it needed a rear spoiler as well, maybe even side skirts, but maybe because my current and previous car has full bodykits. I'm expecting delivery at the end of Oct and one thing I am dreading is the ride on 18" wheels, hope it isn't too harsh.

Can the cornering fogs be enabled in the MFD? or is it a VCDS job?

Last edited:

tyke666

Great post, completely agree with you, I went for the SC TDI 184 due to mileage etc.
What is the key mod you mentioned, I have seen the VW's have a metal piece where the fob loops on?

Cougar

Jul 10, 2011
Looks great! Titanium pack is growing on me...

And it looks brilliant in white! Especially with the LED headlights!

Starting to wonder whether I should consider returning to petrol in the future...

Can the cornering fogs be enabled in the MFD? or is it a VCDS job?

I don't think I've seen this option on the MFD - but I too noticed that the cornering fogs come disabled now. Doesn't bother me, mind! Used to irritate me a little on the Mk2.

Nganasan

Feb 28, 2013
Estonia
Great post, completely agree with you, I went for the SC TDI 184 due to mileage etc.
What is the key mod you mentioned, I have seen the VW's have a metal piece where the fob loops on?

I believe in this video you can see the key mod. Golf has it by default. I have bought one myself, but hadn't had time to install it yet.

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
I don't think I've seen this option on the MFD - but I too noticed that the cornering fogs come disabled now. Doesn't bother me, mind! Used to irritate me a little on the Mk2.

Its not in the mfd, would need to be done with the vcds or similar, although I'm not even sure its possible as I seem to remember it was no longer available on the mk3 due to the permanent DRL's

Nganasan

Feb 28, 2013
Estonia
In the owner's manual cornering lights functions is described as following:

Cornering lights*1)
When turning slowly or on very tight bends, the cornering lights are activated
automatically. The cornering lights may be integrated in the fog lights
and are switched on only at speeds of less than 40 km/h (25 mph).
When reverse gear is engaged, the cornering lights on both sides of the vehicle
switch on, in order to better illuminate the area for parking.

*This function is not available on vehicles equipped with full-LED headlights.

Cougar

Jul 10, 2011
In the owner's manual cornering lights functions is described as following:

*This function is not available on vehicles equipped with full-LED headlights.

Cheers!

That'll teach me for skim reading the manual!

Still - not really concerned I don't have them. The amount of people who claimed I had a fog light out irritated me on the old Leon :p

dieselface

Jul 1, 2010
Thanks for your kind words. I'm just thinking of the things I wanted to know when waiting for mine as it can be a long wait!

Did a mini-mod today and gave the car a quick wash. Not the full wash/wax I was hoping for as I just didn't have the time.

Just to answer a few questions first.

@CyberGene - I'm really impressed with the lump. So smooth and quiet when it needs to be. I did read a few issues on german seat forum about rattling between certain revs but I've not heard this.

@ma9mwah - The one in Ashford. Was a long drive home.

@terryt - I'm not so keen on skirts tbh. They look good new but I think they tend to be the first outer part on the car to look tired. I suppose they get a lot of wear (or just loose their jacking points ;)).

@Nganasan - Thanks for this. I must have missed that bit about the LED's. Makes me like them even more.

@ZBOYD - I was set on DSG to begin with but there's something about manual I can't shake off. I have another car which is full automatic and while it's not near this in PS or build it keeps my options open.

Mini Mod

My keys always get very scratched. Still intend on getting the chrome end put on it!

zvakb6.jpg

2ccuo04.jpg

Washing Thoughts

Flies... they get stuck in a very tight gap below the bottom of the headlight and the bumper. We're not talking the Mrs' cotton buds here, it's gonna be some sort of plastic tweezer job when I can find one. Dirty water also seems to settle here so need to think long term about a tool I can use to get the muck out often.

Door seals are much improved. Panel edges have rubber fixings (leading edge of rear doors for you 5dr people) which helps prevent ingress. Only downside is slight rubber transfer onto the edge of the door (heat related I guess) but it's easy to clean off.

Boot lid - I always found this the worst part of car washing on the mk2. Water collecting at the bottom of the window is still the main problem. I would say its worse on the 3 due to the shape of the lid so you need to soak it up with something or it'll drip down your clean boot/bumper. No issues with it collecting around the rear lights.

Engine bay/Mouldy sound deadening - Some mk2 people will know of issues with water getting in from the scuttle at the back of the engine bay. This used to happen during car washing for me too. You'll be pleased to hear there's no signs of this reoccurring. Water flows where it should so thumbs up.

Alloys - They seem very easy to clean so far. Gaps are not too tight and there's enough about them to give the face of the alloy a good scrub. Dirty water runs down the larger spoke face edge as these all needed the most work.

Still loving it so far and thanks again for your comments. If you're still on the fence - get a test drive and take the Mrs with you. :argue:

Ashworth

Feb 2, 2010
Nottinghamshire
I did exactly the same change of car for almost the same reasons. I also previously for the last 3 years had a Mk2 Leon FR 2.0 170CR and loved it. I had never had any problems with my TDi from the day I had it. My commute to and from work during the week is also very short at no more than 2 miles and even over many weekends I regularly only drive a total of less than 50 miles. However, I never had one single dpf problem!

After hearing, at the time, now not the case, that the 184 TDi was not going to available until at last November this year I decided at the beginning of March to order a 1.8 TSi which I got at the end of June. I walked into the dealer, having made up my mind to have the DSG model, but for some reason whilst in there changed my mind and ordered a manual model. I don't regret my choice as I love my new car. I too wondered about the torque but have found it no problem. I actually find the new 1.8 TSi seems much faster, feels much lighter to drive and is far more responsive than my previous diesel. There seems to be plenty of torque at all speeds except perhaps on the motorway when in 6 gear it appears to feel less powerful and slower accelerating than the diesel but a quick change down to 5th solves that problem. In all other gears and situations it certainly feels much quicker.

Although my usual weekly mileage is very low and includes many short journeys I do take a number of weekends away and longer holidays and I was a little worried about fuel consumption on longer journeys with the 1.8 TSi. It's nowhere as bad as I thought it might be. In the last 2 weeks I've done nearly 2,000 miles on a holiday from my home in Nottinghamshire to the Outer Hebrides off the west coast of Scotland.

The 1.8 TSi was fantastic to drive on all types of road from motorways to winding hilly single track roads. Most of the time, with normal mixed driving I was averaging between 40 and 45 mpg. However, the 1.8 can be very thirsty when accelerating hard and this sharp increase in fuel consumption is particularly noticeable when going up hills. It was very economical driving at a steady 70 mpg up the A1 from Notts to Scotch Corner but was quite heavy on fuel when doing 60 mpg up the A66 up over the pennines which is a constant uphill gradient for many miles. On shorter and more urban stop start driving journeys when closer to home I seem to be average around 37 mpg. Once out in the Outer Hebrides I did some of the time tend to drive fairly gently to conserve fuel after I went to fill up and found standard unleaded to be 156.9p a litre on the Isle of South Uist!

Last edited:

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
@ZBOYD - I was set on DSG to begin with but there's something about manual I can't shake off. I have another car which is full automatic and while it's not near this in PS or build it keeps my options open.

I've decided to chose DSG this time around due to having problem joints in my feet and ankles (an inherited family complaint) my daily work commute is usually 40mins bonnet to bumper stop start traffic. On and off the clutch creases me nowadays, so after something a little easier on the bones but still fun on the weekends :)

Swahealy

Aug 26, 2013
London
I chose the 1.8 TSI FR for performance as I only do about 5000 miles a year. Willing to sacrifice any worry about fuel consumption, not really an issue with petrol still an average 10 p per litre cheaper than diesel. I like the lighter steering and love a manual box. I like to drive a car. Hoping to get mine in October. Currently have a 61 Golf 1.4 TSI and that is a lovely engine.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.