New Tyres for Leon Cupra R

alexknight99

Having experienced the same as many others on this forum and having a bald centre section on the standard Pirellis on my Cupra R, I'm sick of not being able to pull away in the dry or wet and sliding everywhere on corners...
In brief, what are the best all-round tyre to replace my fronts with?
Is there a Goodyear 18" equivalent of the Eagles?
And does anyone have a guide price and anywhere in the wycombe/south bucks area that might fit them?

Cheers

Charlie Br0wn

alexknight99 said:
Having experienced the same as many others on this forum and having a bald centre section on the standard Pirellis on my Cupra R, I'm sick of not being able to pull away in the dry or wet and sliding everywhere on corners...
In brief, what are the best all-round tyre to replace my fronts with?
Is there a Goodyear 18" equivalent of the Eagles?
And does anyone have a guide price and anywhere in the wycombe/south bucks area that might fit them?

Cheers

How many miles did you manage to get out of them?

alexknight99

Charlie Br0wn said:
How many miles did you manage to get out of them?

About 10,000 I think (they were replaced just before I bought the car).
The tread level still looks quite decent everywhere bar a 5 cm section that is completely bald in the middle.

Charlie Br0wn

Have those been hard driving miles? Is weird for the tread to run out just in the middle like that isn't it?

chiefsilverback

Terrible thing a poo poo!
Mar 21, 2005
RTW, Kent
ITS NOT A BALD SECTION!!!!!!

If written this over and over again, the P Zero Rosso is designed to wear like that, once all the tread pattern has gone from the centre of the tyre you still have several mm of tread left!!

The bottom of the 4 grooves that go right round the tyre are the depth of tread, and the 'block' pattern is cut deliberately more shallow in the centre section!!!

The design isn't perfect for the UKs winter roads but is great on hot Spanish mountain twists or tracks!

I've kept my Pirellis to put back on the car when I go out on the track next....

I got a pair of GSD3s (Eagle F1s) fitted for £235 at Bishop Stortford Performance Tyres (Pirelli Performance Centre).

Charlie Br0wn

Are the Pirelli P Zero Rosso the standard ones fitted from the factory?

alexknight99

reasonably hard I guess. I found out it had been revo'd and turned that on maybe 6 months ago and have been driving pretty hard since then.
Haven't turned it off yet...!
Judging by most posts on this forum, I don't think thats unusual to be worn out in 10k. Do you? The wear is a bit odd though...

Charlie Br0wn

chiefsilverback said:
I cooked my P Zeros (fronts) in 6,500 miles!!! :D

I hope mine last longer than that, but don't fancy my chances! Is that including track days? :whistle:

alexknight99

Haven't done a track day yet, will keep these tyres should I go though.
From Chief's reply above it looks like I did well to get 10,000- so good luck!!
Think I'll invest in some Goodyears GSD3's, just need to find somewhere cheap near me now...

Chewbacca

Jun 28, 2005
Birmingham
i had 4 pairs of p zeros on the front of mine until i tryed the goodyear f1's, what a diffrence better wearing lighter drive & cheaper!

alexknight99

Can anyone tell me the exact size of Goodyear I need.
I thought it was 225/45/18 but can't find them anywhere!!

Charlie Br0wn

Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 XL 225/40 R18 Z for £134.19 each fitted, tracked and disposal all included. Thats national too.

alexknight99

Thanks Charlie.

Just remembered the tyre place in Bracknell that does special rates for forum members. Called them and they'll fit for £102 all in per corner.

Going there this weekend I think...

Cupramax

Uber pimp meister
Aug 1, 2001
I was gonna say dont pay £130+ for them... any good supplier will do them for £100ish.

CupraR-Rog

Just Cruising...
Jul 19, 2003
West Somerset
Visit site
Depends on whether there's anyone in your area that can do them for that price!!

Here in Cardiff, and for 40 miles around, £135 was the cheapest I could get F1's for!! :(

And as for Pirelli's - my first pair on the front lasted 7500 miles, the next pair about 4500 miles!! :-o

Goodyears last a lot better!!

Jonny

slightly insane monkey
Jul 5, 2005
South Wales
CupraR-Rog said:
Depends on whether there's anyone in your area that can do them for that price!!

Here in Cardiff, and for 40 miles around, £135 was the cheapest I could get F1's for!! :(

And as for Pirelli's - my first pair on the front lasted 7500 miles, the next pair about 4500 miles!! :-o

Goodyears last a lot better!!

My F1's worked out at £107 each all in at Peak Performance in Llandow when I bought a set of LCR alloys for the FR. :D

Celtic Tyres in Bridgend weren't far off at £110 all in. ;)

Can't say I particularly like the Pirelli's on the LCR... might get round to swapping my wheels over one day to see if the F1's are any better...

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.