New V5 Owner

dchbrown

Feb 17, 2006
South Coast
Hi All,

Just wanted to say hello and ask a few questions that have come up since i collected my new (to me at least :)) V5.

I had an '06 Leon as a company car but new job and not wanting finance left me looking at older cars and saw a 2002 metallic green V5 with 29k and 1 owner under my budget.

Collected it tonight but have a few questions.

Under the bonnet is it easy to tell whether its a 150 or 170? I ask cos the numberplace comes up as a 150 but all the documents are down as a 170.

I thought they had folding mirrors but my mirror control switch doesnt have a folding position on it.

Erm cant think of anything else yet other than drove it 30 miles back home and its the smoothest easy cruiseing car ive ever driven, and you can get a right shove up the backside with it too!! AMAZING!!!

dchbrown

Feb 17, 2006
South Coast
yeah i cant believe how little i paid for it and all the toys n' goodies i got too :)

i thought i would be looking at a focus or astra and then spotted this.

Happy chappy is not the phrase!

Jun 28, 2001
BE VERY CAREFULL OVER SPEED BUMPS!
THeY SIT QUITE LOW AND YOU CAN EASILY CRACK THE SUMP AND LOOSE ALL YOUR OIL..

(yes i know ive used caps as ive seen so many of these bugger up cause people have wacked them over a speed bump lost all the oil and ended up with a knackered motor)

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
Hi and welcome. Certainly a real bargain now, and yes you've certainly got a 170. Have you tried turning the mirror knob to the 6 O'clock position, or it just won't go there?

dchbrown

Feb 17, 2006
South Coast
thats what i thought you had to do - as thats how it was on the Leon i had. but there isnt a picture or anything in the 6 oclock position to indicate the closing position.

JamesF

Easy way to check - 150bhp have HT leads (red wires on the engine cover) 170bhp have coil packs (no wires).
Glad you like the new car! Ill be buying one once Ive sold this diesel golf!!!

James

Last edited by a moderator:

dchbrown

Feb 17, 2006
South Coast
yeah ive got satnav and the dimming mirror.

i thought it was a 170 but when i contacted my insurer and gave them the numberplate they said it was a 150.

didnt know whether to correct them or not tbh

dchbrown

Feb 17, 2006
South Coast
oh and another thing ive noticed is that i have electric seats but no memory - where are the buttons for that located so i can check?

Stubill

Swine Bird !
Aug 13, 2002
The New Forest
Visit site
Agreed - would be a 170bhp 20V on a 2002 plate - unless it was sat unregisted for a year when built.

Easiest way to tell for sure IMO is :

1) Open the bonnet
2) Throttle cable running across top of engine cover =150 10V
3) No throttle cable running across top of engine cover = 170 20V

Have fun.

ironside

Dec 8, 2006
Hi matey And welcome!

i think you will find that the electric folding mirrors and the memory seats were discontinued on the V5 around the 2001 model year,my 02 plater certainley dosnt have them and none of the ones ive looked at after that date have either-i dont think they were even offered as an option -bit i may be wrong.....
If you have no plug leads going over the top of the engine cover it deffo a 170 despite what the insurance say.
Hope you enjoy your V5 - certainley enjoy mine for what you pay they are amazing and as most dickheads out there havent a clue what they are theres a good chance it might still be there in the morning!! Belive me i have had too many car go walkies in the past!!:(

Cheers

Ironside

v5r

when they added the sat nav as standard they removed a few toys such as the memory seats and the folding mirrors....

dchbrown

Feb 17, 2006
South Coast
i think its a reasonably fair swap lol

just updated the CD on the satnav and its quite good. ive got a TomTom and its not up to that standards but it will be pretty good to just have it there in the car as and when i need it!!

super_v5

Have to say I love the V5, silky smooth and the noise is amazing!!!!

I've had mine for about 1 1/2 month now and apart from a dodgy coil pack (common failure) I'm happy with the economy, performance and understated looks.

It seems to return good MPG as well, most of my driving is around town and I average 33mpg on super unleaded.

It's great sitting at traffic lights with the windows down in the summer and just giving the loud pedal a little stab, people are looking around for the sports car and you’re sitting there with a big smile....

Cheers.

bigfella_V5

MG ZS 180 - V6
Feb 25, 2007
It's great sitting at traffic lights with the windows down in the summer and just giving the loud pedal a little stab, people are looking around for the sports car and you’re sitting there with a big smile....

I know the exact thing, I see people around and about, I pop the Golden Bullet into 2nd and just give it a short rip. People look around aimlessly after hearing a blast of induction roar. Makes me chuckle!

dchbrown

Feb 17, 2006
South Coast
I think the V5 has some Jeckall and Hyde in it.

Its the quietest car when on the motorway ive ever owned, and then that noise when you use the loud pedal!!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.