New VW MFD3 Satnav/DVD player/headunit Fitted

NickP

Apr 23, 2003
Colchester, Essex
Visit site
IMG_5097-vi.jpg

If you get the right MDI interface the ipod integration works really well :)

http://img244.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0003en0.jpg

http://img92.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0005di8.jpg

Dec 15, 2007
South East London
Very nice mate, you have any problems with it, or any "bugs" with it? Whats this MDI inrterface by the way, can I get this traight from SEAT?
Have a look on a forum called VWNavi.... very techy and geeky but lots of info! The MDI allows 'proper' integration of USB or iPod with an extra adapter.

DSC02029_Large_.JPG

it gives you track name, artist etc etc and allows proper control of the iPod.... there is someone on the site that got a powered Hard Drive Enclosure to work with it too, so that would be an even cheaper option! 500GB or more you could have as much music on there as you would ever need!

Not cheap though....

http://www.kufatec.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p1131_Volkswagen-MDI-Multimediainterface-MEDIA---IN-Golf-5-V.html

279 Euros

Damn the crappy exchange rate!!!!

Dec 15, 2007
South East London
Sorry im not very tech-mined :confused:

In a shell though, is t this MDI something I can buy aswell as the unit itself and all should be fine? Or is it a fanny on to put them togeher?

Yeah it's definitely an add-on... to be honest it makes the iPod factory dock a waste of space, wish I had know! Not sure about putting them together but I expect you just plug it into the back and decide where to dock it, probably the HUGE glove box......

If I had the £££ I would get one and a USB Hard Drive enclosure and not worry about my iPod...

Anyone want a 80GB iPod so the cash can go towards it?

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
Does anyone have a picture of the unit in a Leon, the newest one that a dealer would sell at this moment?

Debating getting one, just to tidy up the dash... but someone was saying the link up with the Ipod is quite poor?

do you ever get as far south as tyneside? i can show you mine if you do.

while the rns510 is an excellent item, i wouldnt say its worth the £1600 (ish) seat want for it. that is a bit over the top.

NickP

Apr 23, 2003
Colchester, Essex
Visit site
Where abouts u live exactly? I'm just north of Newcastle.

I'm sure the dealer said that the DVD unit they were offering me was £800, will that be the be the rns-510? And if so is it worth that? Is it fully compatible with the steering wheel controls too?

If it's a DVD based unit I would imagine it'll be the MFD2...

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
Where abouts u live exactly? I'm just north of Newcastle.

I'm sure the dealer said that the DVD unit they were offering me was £800, will that be the be the rns-510? And if so is it worth that? Is it fully compatible with the steering wheel controls too?

just checked the configurator and the rns510 is £1595, so i doubt thats what they offering.
i live 2 minutes from the metrocentre by the way.

Jun 5, 2008
Leeds
if its 800 then that is def the MFD2. I have been trying to source a MFD3 in the seat version for months now and nobody has any (refuse to pay £1600 from seat)

Martincupra

Mar 19, 2008
I know this sounds really dumb! But where do I find the chassis Number ,I`ve checked the reg document and looked under the bonnet, but the only number I see that ends in either an 8 or a 7 is on a black sticker on the nearside wing!

Martincupra

Mar 19, 2008
Thanks ,
Ive just checked that and it seems to be the same No as on reg doc ,I was looking for this magical No that finishes in either a 7 or an 8 to depict model year as mentioned earlier on this thread.

Cheers

Martincupra

Mar 19, 2008
So ,Because my cupra is MY07 i`ve plummed for a MFD2 from an 07 leon.
I will be installing this in the morning, Am I right to expect the following :

1 The unit should plug and play with no vagcom setup.
2 It may possibly require the safe pin constant feed alteration to the plug.
3 My existing AUX in socket should work as normal
4 My BT phone system should work as normal
5 My mfd in the clock binicle should display sat nav instructions

I hate surprises:doh:

Cheers

NickP

Apr 23, 2003
Colchester, Essex
Visit site
So ,Because my cupra is MY07 i`ve plummed for a MFD2 from an 07 leon.
I will be installing this in the morning, Am I right to expect the following :

1 The unit should plug and play with no vagcom setup.
2 It may possibly require the safe pin constant feed alteration to the plug.
3 My existing AUX in socket should work as normal
4 My BT phone system should work as normal
5 My mfd in the clock binicle should display sat nav instructions

I hate surprises:doh:

Cheers

That all sounds correct to me :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.