New VW MFD3 Satnav/DVD player/headunit Fitted

Martincupra

Mar 19, 2008
Thanks for your reply,but sadly i have enabled aux[A] and audio video inputs in the settings .
I was looking in the Briskoda lads section earlier and they mentioned about the aux wires going to a different location in the connection blocks .
Looking at the wiring diagram on my old head unit and comparing it to the drawing posted on Briskoda for the mfd2 they are not only in different places but in a different plug.
I assume the connection is made through the right hand plug in the quadlink connector for the original head because there are so few pins in the back .Whilst the amended mfd2 drawing shows the AUX connection in the left hand plug.

I`ll take a look tomorrow

Martincupra

Mar 19, 2008
http://www.octavia-vrs.com/technical/mfd2.html
Above is the link to the skoda page which I found quite interesting and helpful.[I know it`s not Briskoda.]
Anyway notice on their close up of the quadlink that the safe wire is already installed in the Skoda and the lack of a green plug in the quadlink ,this is probably due to no phone bt being factory fitted.
So I think I move my AUX wires from the blue plug to the green one as described .

And fingers crossed !
Here`s another thing ,just like one of the earlier posts I too thought the sound quality was better at first
and seemed to worsen later .I wonder if this due to not carrying out any VAGCOM adjustments .
Comments please

Martincupra

Mar 19, 2008
Eureka,

Yep that works now,only difference is the colour of the cables in my car from the AUX socket are black,puple and white so please check yours out before altering .
Cheers

Dec 15, 2007
South East London
Ahh, that makes sense I haven't paid much attention to the posts on VWNavi about AUX in as I dont use it but I seem to recall something about swapping wires...
Yes I agree the sound quality is better, not sure mine has got worse though... I found a loudness setting quite early on and that made a HUGE difference, have you got stock speakers?

Dec 15, 2007
South East London
Im not sure the MFD2 is the same as the MFD3 but i'm sure I found it in the 'secret' settings... with mine you start the unit up without putting the keys in the ignition and hold down setup and you get a special menu, it was on there im sure... You should think about changing the speakers, its fairly cheap and makes a big big difference especially to the bass!

blocky

Just install the premium bt module, it works great through the MFD3 rns510 but now the buttons on the steering wheel don't work.

has anyone else experienced this ?

jonnysmith199

mfd3

i have a seat mfd3 with surround if anyone is intrested in it give me a shout

Smiler-MK2

Fear The Inferi
Dec 2, 2007
Cheshire
Here are some pics of the correct parts for the aerial connectors on the RNS510 ;)

E91-10241.png

Connector 7 and 8, connection of aerial
7 - Aerial connector for AM and FM2 radio reception, double Fakra, without coding, 50 ohm impedance, cream colour
8 - Aerial connector for FM1 radio reception, double Fakra, coding B, 50 ohm impedance, cream colour

E91-10242.png

Radio aerial adapter
1 - Radio aerial input
2 - Radio aerial output
For the correct operation of the aerial, the adapter must be fitted in order to duplicate the radio signal.

The part number is 5P0035225 and the price is £52.84

Dec 15, 2007
South East London
Just bought the missus a new car and had to use my old TomTom to go pick it up and get back home..... REALLY makes you appreciate the 510 all over again.... The TomToms (and most other makes) are so sloooooooooow and the directions are really poor (IMO) although the 510 does make me laugh when she says "stay on this road for a long time" or when im going round a roundabout and she shouts at me "leave NOW!"

Dec 15, 2007
South East London
Here are some pics of the correct parts for the aerial connectors on the RNS510 ;)

E91-10241.png

Connector 7 and 8, connection of aerial
7 - Aerial connector for AM and FM2 radio reception, double Fakra, without coding, 50 ohm impedance, cream colour
8 - Aerial connector for FM1 radio reception, double Fakra, coding B, 50 ohm impedance, cream colour

E91-10242.png

Radio aerial adapter
1 - Radio aerial input
2 - Radio aerial output
For the correct operation of the aerial, the adapter must be fitted in order to duplicate the radio signal.

The part number is 5P0035225 and the price is £52.84

Big question is.... for £50 + price of a 2nd aerial, does it make a difference?

Smiler-MK2

Fear The Inferi
Dec 2, 2007
Cheshire
Hi Dave
If im reading your reply right,you say + the price of a second aerial?
The adapter is a 1 into 2 no second aerial needed i.e duplicate the radio signal ;)

I posted this as it is the correct parts as fitted from the seat factory so may help.
Shame its £52 my dealer said he would give me 10% off though

Dec 15, 2007
South East London
Hi Dave
The adapter is a 1 into 2 no second aerial needed i.e duplicate the radio signal ;)

I posted this as it is the correct parts as fitted from the seat factory so may help.

Ahh i see now :whistle:

But will it actually improve anything?

My rececption is fine and I get travel updates etc ok?

Only thing I would like is digital radio but apparently although the RNS510 has digital reception it is only for travel updates... :(

Smiler-MK2

Fear The Inferi
Dec 2, 2007
Cheshire
Ahh i see now :whistle:

But will it actually improve anything?

My rececption is fine and I get travel updates etc ok?

Only thing I would like is digital radio but apparently although the RNS510 has digital reception it is only for travel updates... :(

My FM and AM are fine as are the travel updates but if it was cheaper i would try it :D

ianrob16

Hi Dave

I tried to order this from my dealer today but he said the part number had been cancelled as of the 13th Nov ! Do you know if there is a new part number or this unit ?
Ian R.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.