New VW MFD3 Satnav/DVD player/headunit Fitted

LWCARAB

Aug 21, 2007
Essex
Do you think the steering controls are something which may get fixed or not?
Any idea whether this unit could give speed camera warnings, I am now tempted by it a lot (still the annoying vw splash screen though)

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
not sure about the steering wheel controls mate. The unit cannot be coded into VAG-COM so not sure if its talking properly to the car.

I very highly doubt about speed camera warnings. 95% doubt it. it has POI's but thats it.

Have you seen the install guide I wrote below?

LWCARAB

Aug 21, 2007
Essex
Yeah the install guide is awesome. I dunno what to do, so many options:

- MFD2 DVD (Downsides: No Speed cameras, vw loading screen)
- RNS 510 (Downsides: No speed cameras, steering controls, vw loadiing screen and price)
- Pioneer D3 (Downsides: Complexe fitting, ifs and buts, price)
- Tomtom 910 which I already have (Downsides: Annoying whining noise, no where to put it really in the leon, lead annoying and gets in the way)

And I don't really know what I'm doing fitting any of them,

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
Well do you need a new headunit LWCARAB. You already have satnav, but do you use it much? what do you want from a new headunit? storing of music? visuals?

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
Actually with the MFD2 you get the directions displayed on the larger MFD if you have the bluetooth option.

LWCARAB

Aug 21, 2007
Essex
I do use Sat Nav quite a lot but need european mapping, preferably speed cameras, ipod interface or HD would be good. I also want it to fit in with the car and work with all the controls and stuff.
Here is the pionneer interface for teh radio controls:

http://www.pioneer.fr/files/fr/CA-R-PI221_R40652.pdf

Any idea what you are supposed to do with the blan k inlumination, speed pulse and reverse, surely the first 2 already come through the main wiring?

That infill 4 looks cool too

leviathan18

Jan 30, 2007
Venezuela, Caracas
I do use Sat Nav quite a lot but need european mapping, preferably speed cameras, ipod interface or HD would be good. I also want it to fit in with the car and work with all the controls and stuff.
Here is the pionneer interface for teh radio controls:

http://www.pioneer.fr/files/fr/CA-R-PI221_R40652.pdf

Any idea what you are supposed to do with the blan k inlumination, speed pulse and reverse, surely the first 2 already come through the main wiring?

That infill 4 looks cool too

yes the pioneer works fine with the steering but it doesnt with the BT

rv2583

Sep 14, 2007
edgware london
it looks better than the seat one i have a pionner flip out dvd +sat nav but still use my tomtom coz it tels me where the gatsos are

matthewbentham

Cupra averaged 41mpg once
it looks better than the seat one i have a pionner flip out dvd +sat nav but still use my tomtom coz it tels me where the gatsos are

If you have a recent Pioneer, Blaupunkt, Clarion or VDO Dayton Sat-nav unit you can get speed camera locations installed on it by clicking this link

http://www.navshop.com/en/category/maps-software-for-in-car-built-in-systems-en/5/0/0

Pioneer software costs £39 per year. I dont know how good this is as I havnt got it installed. I was given a Snooper Sapphire (with lifetime updates) by my boss as he had no use for it anymore.

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
Just a couple of updates from my unit.

If you have the MFD display on the dash, the clock will be shifted to the right, cutting off the minutes.
Apparently this is typical if you use a non-seat Satnav unit in a Seat. This happens on mine.

Postcode search is very poor, plus you cant enter the full postcode.

When playing CD's it seems to leave a small gap between tracks, so if you listen to dance CD mines like me, there is an annoying short pause between tracks.

Only the volume controls work on the steering will, this may just be a MY2006 thing not sure.
When in Navigation mode or audio mode on the MFD, I indicator stlaks wont let me get out of those modes, i have to turn the unit off and go back to the MFD main menu. Again, this might be just a MY2006 thing, but cant confirm.

My unit freezes for a few seconds occasionally on a long journey, or might stop playing a CD, this maybe becuase my unit has a very early firmware version.

Hope this helps :)

hi dan,
have you managed to overcome any of the above problems you had when the unit was first installed, or is it still as it was?
i'm sorely tempted but i'm a stickler for detail, everything would need to be right.

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
hi dan,
have you managed to overcome any of the above problems you had when the unit was first installed, or is it still as it was?
i'm sorely tempted but i'm a stickler for detail, everything would need to be right.

nope, except the last one would be cured with the newer version. I don't actually have it anymore :)

leviathan18

Jan 30, 2007
Venezuela, Caracas
the rns510 with cars before my08 will move the hour to the right no matter if its vw seat or skoda the unit

if the leon has the can bus 1.6 you will have issues with some of the steering buttons

and thats all the issues i can remember right now lol

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
the rns510 with cars before my08 will move the hour to the right no matter if its vw seat or skoda the unit

if the leon has the can bus 1.6 you will have issues with some of the steering buttons

and thats all the issues i can remember right now lol

this sounds encouraging!

i have one of the first my08 cars, but how do i find out my can bus version?

chris

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members