Newbie: Help choose between 1.9TDI or 1.4 petrol?

ruairi

Hi All,

I have a dumb question or two. I am getting a Ibiza but don't know if I get a petrol or TDI model. From a driving point of view which one is better in your opinion: 1.4 petrol or 1.9 TDI?

I've heard that the TDI is a little heavy in the front and doesn't corner at speed too well compare to the 1.4 petrol.

Also I would love to know if it is possible to get the Cupra leather seats in a lower model. I can't afford the Cupra but the leather and red trim looks the business. I'm in Spain and the model I've chosen is a Sportrider, I don't know how this compares to the UK range. Sportrider 1.9 TDI comes in at 14,500 euros which is great value but without the leather.

Suggestion are welcome!

Cheers
-Ruairi

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
forget the leather, for 14500 yoyos its a bargain and a half. the tdi is a far more powerful car over the 1.4 and better consumption, more tuning options etc etc the petrol range isnt that bad for seat at the moment but the tdi wins this one.

deezal

Sep 28, 2003
Northern Ireland
Visit site
No contest, the Tdi is far better .I used to have a 1.4 petrol but now wouldnt change back since Im getting nearly 60mpg overall .A much more powerful car, good value for money.

RichieRich

Mk4 Golf GT TDi
Sep 17, 2005
Oxfordshire :)
www.bebo.com
hi guys so would u say to me then as i have a 1.4 16v ibiza that i should try and get a 1.9Tdi ? im in debateing mode ive heard that the 1.9Tdi doesnt handle as brilliant per the engine power, could u improve just by a strut brace? like i have on my 1.4? and do u know any1 that is looking to sell there 1.9Tdi in around august time?

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
if ya doing miles in it and want a bit of grunt tdi all day long

im a real petrolhead and even i have seen the light for mileage on tdi's

any long trips i drags the van out :) 500 miles a tank to 200 in the beeza mmmm

RichieRich

Mk4 Golf GT TDi
Sep 17, 2005
www.bebo.com
ive done over 10,000 in about 8 months i think about july last year but then i know deisels will last forever... im gettin just about 300 miles to my 1.4 16v's tank i norm put in bp omtimax just for a bit more punch lol

Sero

I regret buying a 1.4 petrol, what a bag of shxt it really is. Its slow, not very fun to drive and eats petrol (im lucky to get 280+ miles out of a tank no matter how i drive it).

RichieRich

Mk4 Golf GT TDi
Sep 17, 2005
www.bebo.com
dont be do hard on the 1.4 now.. its not that shxt there is alot of cars that are worse! but then there are alot of cars that are better, i get about the same to you but as its my 2nd car i think its more fun to drive than my first