Newbie question

Indieboy1

May 3, 2018
Following the guide on this forum i have just completed my first ever oil change.

All went well but while under the car i noticed two pipes that appear to be leaking and were covered in an oil like substance.

One in photo and another on the oposite side ( i had wiped down before taking pic)

Could any of you guys or gals tell me what it is and suggest a solution
59333280c1f349e29a8ddcdc0947fe82.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Sturtz1987

Nov 18, 2015
Ayrshire
It's the original boost pipe to intercooler connection, there a terrible design and notorious for leaking. I'm guessing it's a diesel by the oil around the joint, its pretty common for there to be some oily residue on the boost pipe and will sit at bottom of intercooler and around that joint. As long as there's not massive amounts I wouldn't worry. Do you hear a whistle noise when it's on boost?

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Indieboy1

May 3, 2018
Thanks for the reply
Yer 2.0 tdi
I have noticed a whistle noise over the past 3 months or so.

Sturtz1987

Nov 18, 2015
Ayrshire
Thanks for the reply
Yer 2.0 tdi
I have noticed a whistle noise over the past 3 months or so.

Chances are it's leaking then, get yourself over to darkside developments lol perfect excuse for an upgraded hard pipe kit

Indieboy1

May 3, 2018
Just about to start paying my morgatge so darkside developments is out. Lol

Ill have a look see if i can secure it.

Got plenty of self tappers so theirs one option

DavieTDI

Brain dead
Aug 3, 2013
kilmarnock Scotland
Ignore the video as that does not work well when it’s the join to the IC.
I have done the self taper twice. Once three years ago on a Ibiza pd 130 at 165 and that’s still holding to this day and now on my Leon pd 140 at 187bhp and that is also still holding.

Sturtz1987

Nov 18, 2015
Ayrshire
I doubt it would hold any sort of pressure if you had a leak. If davie has any pictures of the self tapper method I would do with that.

Sturtz1987

Nov 18, 2015
Ayrshire
I can assure you it does hold.
Both my cars leaked from that area and as said one was done 3 years ago and is still holding and not long done the leon with no leaks.
3 self taper screws and job done. Just google it.
https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/popping-boost-pipe-joints-a-cheap-fix.248667/
I ment the heat shrink method work lol getting your Sundays knickers knotted here Davie .
If the self tapers worked, go for it. I've got a full spare intercooler and pipes off my 2008 leon if you need any parts or clips.

DavieTDI

Brain dead
Aug 3, 2013
kilmarnock Scotland
I bought a new pipe and the fecker would still not hold. that's why a just used the self taper method
and am going commando this Sunday. I can send them pictures :lol: