Newbie - timing belt = dead headlights??

simonaking15

Hi All,

I'm new and a little inexperienced on the forum, please forgive me.

I just had the timing belt done (early - 57k miles) on a mk1 Leon cupra 20vt (2001), 2 hours later i started it and the passenger side dipped headlight flickered and failed.

drove all the way from somerset to london, including a stop. got home, 15mins later, moved the car and the driver's side died as well. i still have side lights and main beam.

any clues at all, surely this can't be coincidence?

thanks in advance!

volvic

It's just water
Jun 28, 2008
House of Batiatus
in december 08 my passenger side blew, within one week from that the drivers side went.

Been fine since new bulbs went in.

I think it just shows both bulbs were replaced together before :)

EDIT: oh and welcome to SCN

simonaking15

Thanks Volvic!

Perhaps that is all it is, i just always feel suspicious of new problems after a garage visit. what bulbs does anyone recommend for this model?

Big Ejit

Wassamarranow?
Aug 8, 2007
Brum
I would put the OE type back in from the dealers. I put cheapos in and they blew within a few weeks. Dealer ones are reasoably priced but good quality. Steer clear of Halfrauds cheapies. Get mine from local VW dealer.

If bulbs are old and one pops, it isnt too uncommon for another of similar age on a similar circuit to blow soon after from the slight current increase from the first one blowing.

Seat Adam

Dirty Densel Driver
You can buy some from halfords like I got. Didn't buy cheap ones, got some extreme brilliance ones. Cost me a small fortune for some bulbs but i've had no probs. They are brighter than normal bulbs. Recommend changing the main beam bulbs too though as they don't seem too bright with the better ones in the dipped. H1 and H7 extreme brilliane bulbs cost me about £45, buy one get one free. Same last time I looked too.

demons uk

For £45 can't you almost buy the HID conversion....?

Make sure you don't touch the actual glass when replacing the bulbs as that can decrease there life quite abit.

Not a lot of things are impossible but i do think its extremely unlikely [read impossible] for the cam belt to effect headlights, unless it snaps and hits the bulb in some freak accident.

simonaking15

Guys this is all reassuring - thank you!

is it as difficult a job as it looks to swap out the passenger side one (i had one glance and thought i'm not doing this in 2 mins and closed the bonnet!). with all the battery casing right up against it, it looked a bit of a fiddly job

simonaking15

thanks adam - sounds good too!

i feel far less stressed thanks all of you. i'll have a gander and let you know what sort of mess i make of it all.

I'm glad i finally posted, been a member pretty much since i got the cupra after swapping my beloved 350z for a family wagon. glad you guys are out there to make it less stressful!

Hobbiniho

Jan 17, 2009
shetland/ Aberdeen
if i can get my hid's in on the passenger side without removing the battery then you should have no problem just remove the battery cover/plastic covering the top of the light and unclip the cover on the back of the headlight and remove dead bulb and replace and refit plastic and jobs done shouldnt really take more than 10 minutes

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.