Newbie with a new XP

wobs

Apr 16, 2015
North Devon
Hi y'all,
After years and 150,000 miles on a 2.0 Audi diesel decided to swap for another one of VAG's best 2 litre lumps but this time in a much prettier frock.
Just taken delivery of an X-perience 184 DSG lux, tech and toys.
Initial impressions after 1,000 miles.
Pretty pretty car.
'kin quick for a 4wd especially off the line in the wet and on the crumbly, pooh covered roads down here in rural Devon.
Comfortable but a bit jiggly on broken roads especially on 18 inch rims. Brilliant on smooth tarmac. Will swap rims for 17 inch with M&S tyres come winter. Be interesting to see what that does to the ride. Wish I'd known Seat were bringing adaptive chassis to the XP this year:(.
Can't believe how flat it stays in lively cornering.
MPG not good yet; around 44 mpg but I guess there's a lot of heavy metal in the 4WD that needs to smooth itself in.
Never thought I'd say this, but love the adaptive cruise.
And on the basis that too much is never enough, off for a re-map soon. I had my A3 done at 10,000 miles and car was most reliable, economical car I've ever had (50+mpg long term) and for 140,000 miles.

xperience

Feb 4, 2015
I've gone the same way Wob - I've been in an Audi too and I'm collecting my Xperience tomorrow (18th) (hopefully) after it arrived at the dealers on 2nd April... there's been a bit of a problem with tow bar fitment but hopefully it's all sorted now.

I'd have liked DCC too but can't have everything I guess. I went for ACC with the DSG as I don't understand why they would build a car without this technology these days. Surely any tech that prevents people driving into the back of others has to be compulsory from the word go?!?

wobs

Apr 16, 2015
North Devon
I've gone the same way Wob - I've been in an Audi too and I'm collecting my Xperience tomorrow (18th) (hopefully) after it arrived at the dealers on 2nd April... there's been a bit of a problem with tow bar fitment but hopefully it's all sorted now.

I'd have liked DCC too but can't have everything I guess. I went for ACC with the DSG as I don't understand why they would build a car without this technology these days. Surely any tech that prevents people driving into the back of others has to be compulsory from the word go?!?

Good luck and hope it goes well. I'd be interested to hear how you get on with it. Mines back to the dealer next friday as I've got a little vibration/knock that we can't trace and I also want them to have a look at fuel consumption. Averaging about 44 at the moment (all rural) and now done 1000 miles so a bit lower than I would have expected. Luckily service manager's a mate of mine so I know I won't get any BS. There's no advisories of note on them at the moment but he did mention something about pump timing (I think) that they want to have a look at. I think with the towbar there's a whole new underpanel that needs replacing to fit the towbar so that may be why the delay.
Generally though great car to drive and love the ACC. I've just got to remember when I turn it off:D.

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
if I'd known about the XP when I bought my ST184 a year ago....or would I have gone for the ST Cupra?
actually, I really like the 184!
rides well on the 17s, WOBS - I got the dealer to replace the 18s as I wanted a slightly softer ride.
But 4WD would have been nice...not sure about the orange bits.
what colour is yours?
we know black is the quickest:)

wobs

Apr 16, 2015
North Devon
if I'd known about the XP when I bought my ST184 a year ago....or would I have gone for the ST Cupra?
actually, I really like the 184!
rides well on the 17s, WOBS - I got the dealer to replace the 18s as I wanted a slightly softer ride.
But 4WD would have been nice...not sure about the orange bits.
what colour is yours?
we know black is the quickest:)

Hi Andrew, well on that basis I must have the slowest..............candy white. :) Car was ordered by mistake by dealer and mate who works there told me about it as soon as it happened. At first I thought "nah". Really not sure about white. But the longer I prevaricated the lower the price became. And actually it looks pretty good with the black wheel and sill surround. I saw an ST in Nevada white and that I would have baulked at. Each to their own. It came with all the toys I wanted (except sun roof) and some I didn't want but didn't have to pay for. Lane assist, headlamp assist, ACC, LED pack, etc. The orange stitching with black leather do lift the interior nicely IMO.
Good bits: the very rapid getaway even in wet and muddy conditions. Look at the 0-60 time for these. Rear load bay is perfect height and flat to sit on just like a range Rover:).
Corners as good as anything despite the raised height and you can really feel the haldex working in the wet when pushing on.
Bad bits: 18 inch wheels and current fuel consumption. Wheels do make it jiggly at low speed. I was gonna get 17's with M&S tyres for winter (I live and work around Exmoor) but I've got a feeling I might just go with 17's earlier. The 18's on these do look nice though.
Regrets: Not waiting for DCC and not speccing 17's:(

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
you'll have no trouble selling the 18s on here, as lots of guys want to upgrade their 17s.
get 15 posts up, then pop something in the for sale forum...sure you'll love the car - the 184 is a peach.
and it sounds like you got a good deal too.....it's tempting.
maybe next year...cheers:)

RedBarchetta

Oct 28, 2014
Hi Andrew, well on that basis I must have the slowest..............candy white. :) Car was ordered by mistake by dealer and mate who works there told me about it as soon as it happened. At first I thought "nah". Really not sure about white. But the longer I prevaricated the lower the price became. And actually it looks pretty good with the black wheel and sill surround. I saw an ST in Nevada white and that I would have baulked at. Each to their own. It came with all the toys I wanted (except sun roof) and some I didn't want but didn't have to pay for. Lane assist, headlamp assist, ACC, LED pack, etc. The orange stitching with black leather do lift the interior nicely IMO.
Good bits: the very rapid getaway even in wet and muddy conditions. Look at the 0-60 time for these. Rear load bay is perfect height and flat to sit on just like a range Rover:).
Corners as good as anything despite the raised height and you can really feel the haldex working in the wet when pushing on.
Bad bits: 18 inch wheels and current fuel consumption. Wheels do make it jiggly at low speed. I was gonna get 17's with M&S tyres for winter (I live and work around Exmoor) but I've got a feeling I might just go with 17's earlier. The 18's on these do look nice though.
Regrets: Not waiting for DCC and not speccing 17's:(

I've done about 2500 miles on my new XP. I also love how it corners and goes in the rain - feels so planted with the 4wd kicking in. Car also looks even better in real life than it does in photos.

I'd also agree that though I love the look of the 18s, definitely can feel them, though it does make it fun to drive.

My fuel consumption is about the same but I do drive a bit in London so to be expected.

My main regret, and one you don't have, is not getting the DSG. It's such a great value car, I would have been happy to part with the extra money for the DSG. Also, wish I had DCC too but needed the car as soon as possible.

Last edited:

RedBarchetta

Oct 28, 2014
so we all love our STs. Maybe i'll PX for an Xperience next year....

Yes, would definitely recommend.

One problem that just came up about an hour ago is that I realised that hill hold assist doesn't work (and don't think it ever has). Contacted dealer and I've gone over the warranty mileage. Looks like I'll stick with the good old handbrake until at least next service.

Another problem is that the wife has already kerbed one of the alloys :censored:

Last edited:

Lambert12

May 14, 2015
New member with Xperience on order Is it possible to adjust Led headlights as previously described for Cupra ? Thanks

xperience

Feb 4, 2015
RedBarchetta - The car has an unlimited mileage warranty for two years. If the hill-hold assist isn't working SEAT will be fixing that for you for free. Any dealer that's told you that you are out of warranty is totally wrong.

xperience

Feb 4, 2015
Lambert - I have an XP 184 DSG with Lux Pack and obvs the LED lights. I've been disappointed by the LED lights. They have no range on them and flicking between dipped and full beam the dipped lights go off leaving a poor light pattern on the road. If I knew how to adjust them or program both dipped and main beam lights to stay on at the same time I would definetely do so.

What options have you gone for? I ticked all of the boxes bar sunroof and boot dividing net. Some were a waste of money. The earlier Lux PAck models have the lovely black leather seats and the steering wheel / handbrake have the orange stitching but on the latest online pictures the leather seats gain orange stitching and the orange stitching on the steering wheel is now much more prominent. Looks great.

Driver tired recognition system is a waste of money unless you need / want the rear seat belt warning system, as I did. I think Lane assist is a waste of money but ACC is certainly worth it.

xperience

Feb 4, 2015
and the original posters comment on fuel economy - certainly for the 184 - is completely true. I am lucky to get more than 25 around town and 35 out of town.

Lambert12

May 14, 2015
Ordered tech and lux I have seen a diagram showing adjustment screws posted by dephead2004 Wondered if it applied to Xperience. Dealer said he would find out but not heard back

RedBarchetta

Oct 28, 2014
It turned out hill hold was working in the end. I think the specific warranty issue would have been in regards to items that not fitted as specified from the factory - to be honest not sure why that would be the case.

Lambert12

May 14, 2015
Hi, have you tried adjusting led headlights ? Some posts give advice on adjustment screw but I couldn't see any on the car I test drove

xperience

Feb 4, 2015
Wobs, Did your dealer have a solution to the rubbish fuel economy? I'm only getting 40 mpg on long motorway journies at 70mph in ECO Mode.

I alsso have metallic vibration coming from sat nav unit under certain rev ranges / resonates....

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members