Newbie with a new XP

wobs

Apr 16, 2015
North Devon
Hi xperience,

No. Dealers (I've been back to 2 now) haven't really come back with too much positive on mpg. However I've now done about 4500 miles and it does seem to be slowly improving. Long term average about 45 and motorway journeys at 70/80 getting close to 50. One thing I have noticed is these things take a lot longer to warm up than the old PD motor I had. I have a 10 mile country journey to work. My old Audi A3 used to do 47. XP does between 38 and 45 now and very dependant on outside temp. Today its 12 degrees outside and I got 38. One day last week it was much warmer and got 45.
Being anal I tried exact same run when motor warm. I got 51.
Both dealers have said that there's a lot more metal on these Haldex 4wd that needs to bed in and that makes some sense to me. I've also been recommended to not use supermarket fuel. I only switched last week and that does seem to make the engine run smoother.
I did read somewhere that somebody else with a 184 FR had lousy mpg which suddenly improved after 5000 miles. Hope springs eternal:)
I've found ECO makes no difference to mpg at all. In fact working the engine helps to warm it up quicker and mpg doesn't suffer that much.
My elusive knock bothers me more. Like a ping pong ball in a can and much more pronounced until the cars done 20 or 30 miles. Happens when accelerating especially when pulling out to overtake and when going uphill. Seems to be coming from under right hand side of car but maybe transmitted sound from the engine. No luck with tracing it yet but I'm gonna keep persevering with the dealers.

RedBarchetta

Oct 28, 2014
I've done almost 6000 miles now after coming back from two weeks and 1800 miles in France where I managed to get about 56 on one fill up doing mainly motorways (80+ Mph) and some single lane roads with wife and kids, full load in back and air con on, and low 50s for the rest. Since coming back mileage has been better than before I left so possible that after hitting magical 5000 mile barrier it improved.

adam68

Sep 4, 2015
I drove from Scotland to collect my ex-demo XP 184 DSG from the dealers in Yorkshire yesterday. Great run back up on mixture of Yorkshire b-roads, motorway and urban. Car had 6k on clock when I bought it. Average MPG over 250 mile run was 48.
The ACC was excellent on the motorway; still working my way through the other options. Kids love the sunroof.

So far, so :)

adam68

Sep 4, 2015
Many thanks. The stop start function is taking some time to get used to, particularly at junctions. On the Edinburgh cobbles the car is so much quieter and more at ease than the Fabia VrS which it replaced.

Lambert12

May 14, 2015
Xperience tow bar

Had a detachable tow bar fitted at dealer A hole 8 inches by 6 inches cut in bumper
Dealer supplied a cover for hole but it doesn't fit . Dealer and customer care now say there isn't a cover made for Xperience .Customer care claim nobody in Seat can make the bit of plastic necessary They have offered to provide a new lower part of the bumper which would need unbolted and replaced with bumper with hole when using tow bar Dealer say ideally done with car on ramp so not really practical Customer Care not bothered that dealer has undertaken a job for which they didn't have appropriate parts Also asked if car affected by emission scandal but not able to answer

xperience

Feb 4, 2015
Hi Lambert

The XP has a special rear diffuser when a tow bar is fitted. It replaces the silver coloured part of thee rear bumper. I have the original in the shed. The new part has a cut already in it through which you poke your removable tow bar. The electrics though are generally always on show. I've complained to seat about the way this is implemented as normally you get a hole cut and a plastic cover to go over it when the tow bar is removed.... but they've done it differently on the XP. You can see a picture on the accessories bookelet - http://www.seat.co.uk/content/dam/countries/uk/Download documents/xp-staccessories-brochure.pdf - Look on page 15 and the picture of the guy with the trailer in the snow. It shows the rear diffuser there with the tow bar attached.

This is all part of the standard tow bar kit from SEAT so the main dealer should know about this. It's not a normal leon part.

Hope this helps

David

Lambert12

May 14, 2015
Thanks David , So far the Seat dealer and customer services seem unaware of a part specificaly for the XP and customer services have closed the case .I will show the dealer the picture you linked
Thanks

Lambert12

May 14, 2015
Hi I have today eventually had a new diffuser with hole for tow bar fitted Comes with a rubber cover over hole and looks good Has taken since your post to persuade dealers and customer care to organise job
Thanks for info