Next Seat Leon will be first to get 'industry-leading' VW Group cabin tech

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Just came up on my Google feed this morning

Highlights

The new car will be one of the first within the VW Group to feature a new infotainment system with the ability to update maps, apps and functionality over-the-air, much like your smartphone. While the technology will be used across VW, Seat is as the forefront within the group in developing it to appeal to its younger customer base.

“For two years we have been working on what will be the best infotainment system coming to market next year, starting with the Leon,” Seat CEO Luca De Meo said at the Barcelona event.

The user interface was highly praised in customer clinics, even above that of the Tesla Model X, Rabe said.

The three-door is expected to be dropped, while high-powered petrol versions will fall under Seat’s new Cupra brand.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/...irst-get-industry-leading-vw-group-cabin-tech

Thought I'd share.

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
Just came up on my Google feed this morning

Highlights

The new car will be one of the first within the VW Group to feature a new infotainment system with the ability to update maps, apps and functionality over-the-air, much like your smartphone. While the technology will be used across VW, Seat is as the forefront within the group in developing it to appeal to its younger customer base.

“For two years we have been working on what will be the best infotainment system coming to market next year, starting with the Leon,” Seat CEO Luca De Meo said at the Barcelona event.

The user interface was highly praised in customer clinics, even above that of the Tesla Model X, Rabe said.

The three-door is expected to be dropped, while high-powered petrol versions will fall under Seat’s new Cupra brand.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/...irst-get-industry-leading-vw-group-cabin-tech

Thought I'd share.

Scott

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

silles

May 4, 2017
"Seat is so confident about the usability of the technology it will migrate much of the existing dash buttons over to the screen, including the heating controls" -

i really dont like that

russbellrfs

Jan 7, 2018
This may be an issue if u can control heater via infotainment only as if ur using full link, you have to come out of it, sort heater, then back in. Wifes SMax is like this with AA.

Also it says that it will incorporate a crossover version - Where would that leave the Arona or will that just slot in a rename it

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mikeyh22

Oct 18, 2014
Bolton
When it’s cold like now and you are wearing gloves it’s annoying having to remove them to do anything on the info screen. If the heater controls were on the screen it would be worse. First world problems, eh? :(

Scrogg

Living life only a short bus ride from the edge...
Dec 31, 2017
When it’s cold like now and you are wearing gloves it’s annoying having to remove them to do anything on the info screen...
You mean like increasing the temperature so you don't need to wear gloves? :rofl:

Last edited:

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
When it’s cold like now and you are wearing gloves it’s annoying having to remove them to do anything on the info screen. If the heater controls were on the screen it would be worse. First world problems, eh? :(

To be honest you make a good point, but I'm sure it'll already have been accounted for.

My guess would be voice control commands. Especially as things like Alexa will be a staple by then. Alexa already has the ability to do similar in the home.

Personally I would still prefer physical buttons just in case.
This is based on past & current experience with my 280's touchscreen failing to operate correctly in cooler temperatures :)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Luke_bank

Aug 11, 2017
A new Leon!? I’ve only just got my “new” Leon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gshaw

Jun 14, 2014
Essex
3-door to be dropped?! Goodbye SEAT then, can't call yourselves sporty if all you're going to offer is 5-door family hatches.

gshaw

Jun 14, 2014
Essex
"Seat is so confident about the usability of the technology it will migrate much of the existing dash buttons over to the screen, including the heating controls" -

i really dont like that

Indeed, as much as I love Android Auto (again SEAT had it very early on) it turns into a brick when the 4G signal drops. Can't see how any connected system won't suffer the same as all the speech recognition is done in the cloud.

If signal drops and I can't change music track I swear at it and carry on. If I can't change the heating controls or similar that's a lot more serious.

zedlor

Aug 24, 2017
Warrington
3-door to be dropped?! Goodbye SEAT then, can't call yourselves sporty if all you're going to offer is 5-door family hatches.
Seems to me VAG are dropping a lot of 3 door models, A3 3 door seems to be being dropped too, and the Scirocco is going the way of the dodo.

A shame because I like my 3 door, but at the same time it would be useful on occasion to have 5 doors. Only reason I didn't was the cost.

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Hmm..

"The design and packaging of the five-door will “not be a typical hatch,” said Rabe. He added “it will create some desire”. It will again use the VW Group’s MQB platform."

If they bring back the rear door design from the MK2 with the hidden handles I'd welcome that.

gshaw

Jun 14, 2014
Essex
Although hidden handles are better I still wouldn't want the frumpiness of the added length of car, read window pillars, shut lines etc. Doesn't appeal to someone who doesn't need the "family" practicality.

Already having those "what do I get next" thoughts although I'll be keeping my FR for another 2 years via extended warranty. After that the potential repair costs for stop/start, ACT etc. concern me.

Last edited:

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire
Although hidden handles are better I still wouldn't want the frumpiness of the added length of car, read window pillars, shut lines etc. Doesn't appeal to someone who doesn't need the "family" practicality.

Already having those "what do I get next" thoughts although I'll be keeping my FR for another 2 years via extended warranty. After that the potential repair costs for stop/start, ACT etc. concern me.

+1 I've had 3 doors for most cars I've owned and every hot hatch I've had in 3 door. The problem we face is the industry in general are moving away from 3 doors, especially in Leon size cars and even the Ibiza size. Focus, Megane, Civic, i30, A3 all 5 door. I'm sure I read somewhere that the Mk8 Golf will still have a 3 door version, use hope that includes GTI and R for the UK market. What else is there? Do they still make 3 door Astra VXR?

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Just an update from the seat media site

Some highlights..

"One prominent development is a strategic partnership with Shazam"

"Several key meetings were held with leading companies such as*Microsoft, Amazon*and*Waze"

More details can be found below

http://www.seat-mediacenter.com/new...T-surprises-at-the-Mobile-World-Congress.html

This hints more at the direction they are looking to go in

http://www.seat-mediacenter.com/storiespage/newstories/What-does-a-connected-car-do-for-you.html

Last edited:

gshaw

Jun 14, 2014
Essex
Sounds less useful than Android Auto is now, don't like the idea of making the car a separate connected entity as it's just another way they can charge you (for the extra data contract)

Waze more useful than Google Maps? Not for me (Google own them anyway ironically). Reminds me a bit of what Jaguar made the mistake of doing; trying to reinvent the wheel with the Infotainment system and making a mess out of it rather than using the mass-marker technology that's already there. Rather liked the XE until I read the reviews of the Jag smartphone connectivity and it gets 1* from pretty much every user.

Wonder if there's been some falling out with Google in general, heard the other day BMW were going to start charging for it on subscription?

Edit: sorry it's CarPlay they're going to charge for, feel rather smug sitting in my Leon that does both and doesn't cost a penny to run :)

Last edited:

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
Sounds less useful than Android Auto is now, don't like the idea of making the car a separate connected entity as it's just another way they can charge you (for the extra data contract)

Wonder if there's been some falling out with Google in general, heard the other day BMW were going to start charging for it on subscription?

Edit: sorry it's CarPlay they're going to charge for, feel rather smug sitting in my Leon that does both and doesn't cost a penny to run :)

I wouldn't be that surprised if SEAT did go down the route of a subscription model.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members