Nitrous Law?

Essex_Cupra

May 14, 2004
Is it allowed to be carried legally?

Can it be used on the road legally?

Does a sticker have to be put in your window to confirm its being carried in the car?

Anything anyone wants to add...

Cheers

Jun 1, 2007
find someone who will insure you with it has to have the sitcker to say have got the gas onboard there is no law saying you carnt use it on a public road
if you still not sure talk to wizards of nos in doncaster they are very helpful

Essex_Cupra

May 14, 2004
find someone who will insure you with it has to have the sitcker to say have got the gas onboard there is no law saying you carnt use it on a public road
if you still not sure talk to wizards of nos in doncaster they are very helpful

I have already got the nitrous installed (its empty though) and insured.

But I haven't got a sticker

I'm pretty sure my insurer will only cover me for track use though but i'll have to double check that before I waste money to fill it up and then not being able to use it.

Icecavern

Jun 12, 2001
Berkshire, UK
www.icecavern.com
It's not illegal to use it, but as barnsley says your insurance company may only insure it for track use. You also have to have the sticker displayed for safety reasons. It's the sticker than makes people think NOS is illegal for road cars, because no-body puts the sticker on the car. It's that that makes it illegal, although I don't knowo if anyone has ever been prosecuted for it.

Dunc

ive got NOS in my uno turbo and it is fully insured. it is road legal and u DO NOT have to display a sticker. you must delare what power shots u run to ur insurer tho

Dunc

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
It's not illegal to use it, but as barnsley says your insurance company may only insure it for track use. You also have to have the sticker displayed for safety reasons. It's the sticker than makes people think NOS is illegal for road cars, because no-body puts the sticker on the car. It's that that makes it illegal, although I don't knowo if anyone has ever been prosecuted for it.

5 mins googling and,,,,

There is a degree of confusion over the need to have a hazard warning sticker on the outside of the car. We previously explained that nitrous oxide is neither a flammable nor a hazardous gas but it is an oxidiser. There is a legal requirement for commercial vehicles to display a suitable sticker but this does not apply to private vehicles, which are not even obliged to display a green compressed gas sticker. However, displaying such a warning sticker might well be advantageous to you and the emergency services if you were to be involved in any kind of accident, as this would inform them that you were carrying a container of compressed oxidiser.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.