NO DPF no MOT from april

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
The issue as I understand is the mot testers have no documentation to point out the dpf location. So if its hidden then they have no way to determine if present or not. I wonder if this loophole will be closed? Not clear in the article if this information will be provided to mot testers.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
I read somewhere smoke levels were being decreased so it will be virtually impossible to pass without a DPF in place.

Luckily my old MK2 Golf doesn't need a dpf or cat as its an engine conversion so it smokes away.

stu_m

Aug 14, 2014
Hull
www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk
I read somewhere smoke levels were being decreased so it will be virtually impossible to pass without a DPF in place.

they are changing it so that if your car gave out x amount of smoke from the factory then it has to pass that test!

Personally I think we will all be screwed with that one as I bet no car will pass the smoke emissions the factory says!

Parkins14

Oct 1, 2017
Worcester
Had less smoke on my 1.9tdi 04 Passat strait pipe with a remap than some 06-09 diesels I've seen plumeing black smoke with a dpf

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Parkins14

Oct 1, 2017
Worcester
they are changing it so that if your car gave out x amount of smoke from the factory then it has to pass that test!

Personally I think we will all be screwed with that one as I bet no car will pass the smoke emissions the factory says!
There will always be dodgy MOT testers that will hold the sensor "close" to the exhaust to get a reading

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK

Just had my first MOT on my 184TDi - it hardly registered on the meter for soot/smoke.

Well within the current and new limits for soot emissions.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Had less smoke on my 1.9tdi 04 Passat strait pipe with a remap than some 06-09 diesels I've seen plumeing black smoke with a dpf

With a DPF in place you won't see black smoke.

If the cars are churning out black smoke they have probably had a DPF delete.

Parkins14

Oct 1, 2017
Worcester
With a DPF in place you won't see black smoke.

If the cars are churning out black smoke they have probably had a DPF delete.
Nahh I reckon they were clogged and over fueling or broken up mantle internally plus is more people don't know how to look after them that's the biggest cause of a failure

andycupra

status subject to change
in terms of people not knowing how to look after them, - I've never owned a diesel before my current alfa 159, but after a period of ownership I am surprised that there is no indication of when the regeneration process is taking place.
Therefore most people are not aware of the process so don't get the opportunity to decide if they want to help or hinder the process.
The handbook will say keep revs over 2k and preferably over 60kph and it may take 10 mins... fine. but if the driver isn't even aware its happening in the first place why would they help the process.

Yes, you can feel the car is driving differently, but lets be honest, for many many drivers they may not even notice this.
Personally I tend to know one is 'due' but I still feel need to pop onto the fuel consumption screen to confirm this is a regen., particularly if I'm in slow traffic and couldn't rule out not detecting one in process ever.

I expect many of here will say people must know when a regen is taking place and what needs to be done, but we are on a forum and are more interested and aware that joe public.

Last edited:

zeffania

Nov 4, 2016
Some have no idea. My wife works for VW and a guy was complaining his fan was going even when he was stopped. They just buy the car, expect it to work and be told how and what to do. I read my manual before buying the Leon

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
There are warnings for almost everything else happening on the car.

It would not be rocket science to put a warning light on the dash to advise that a regen is in progress.

rryans11

MK3 Leon Cupra 290
Feb 4, 2012
UK
it's very easy to get round, you gut the internals of the dpf and map it out. So come MOT it looks like the DPF is still there

They could be clamping down on this by the looks of it:

V1HxmRd.png

Personally don't see why people get them gutted now for the sake of a few extra bhp when the newer tdi's get good gains without having to touch the DPF.

DANFR180

Feb 8, 2016
There will always be dodgy MOT testers that will hold the sensor "close" to the exhaust to get a reading

Would you have to pay them a bribe to do that ? Or do you think they will just pass them as a favour ?

Parkins14

Oct 1, 2017
Worcester
Would you have to pay them a bribe to do that ? Or do you think they will just pass them as a favour ?
I went on modified car Facebook page in my area and just asked if anyone knew someone that would pass a strait pipe and got given a place went down and he said would be fine! Cost 60 quid for the MOT though

Parkins14

Oct 1, 2017
Worcester
There are warnings for almost everything else happening on the car.

It would not be rocket science to put a warning light on the dash to advise that a regen is in progress.
I agree would be easier wouldn't it, I suppose people would panic seeing the light come on and be taking there cars into the stealers all the time (if they hadn't read the manual

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise