no power steering after accident

pyeman

Oct 28, 2016
hi all I have just bought a 14 plate accident damaged car, I have replaced bumper rads etc had the ecu wiped clean of all crash data but the power steering pump is not working. The pump was not hit none of the wiring is damaged the esp light is on and the engine management light. looking over the web a few have said it locks out in a accident to stop it pumping fluid on the road and needs to be reset. Can anyone say yes thats right or more so recommend anyone that could do it for me around sheffield . cheers

pyeman

Oct 28, 2016
hi yes its got fluid and power the alternator is charging at 14.2v its got to be coding. it makes sense to me to lock out after an accident just need to know how I get it back on.

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
I don't know how it is the procedure to reset it after an accident but maybe check the errors first? and the pump is fitted almost against the bumper so there is a possibility that any accident could cause damage to the pump.

I had an accident in the past, and my pump didn't stop working. Maybe only when the airbags are deployed? In my case only the seat belts locked.

is a steering wheel light on the dash?

coding? I don't think the accident would change that... but check the coding and report back here wich coding do you have if you can.

how hard is to turn your steering?

Last edited:

pyeman

Oct 28, 2016
hi all the airbags did blow but they have all been replaced and the crash data wiped clean from the ecu. The light is lite on the dash to say there is a fault . I had a guy do a reading he said they was no faults showing on anything . think I am going to have to bite the bullet with this one and shop around the dealers see what they say and how much :cry: cheers

Aug 21, 2019
hi all I have just bought a 14 plate accident damaged car, I have replaced bumper rads etc had the ecu wiped clean of all crash data but the power steering pump is not working. The pump was not hit none of the wiring is damaged the esp light is on and the engine management light. looking over the web a few have said it locks out in a accident to stop it pumping fluid on the road and needs to be reset. Can anyone say yes thats right or more so recommend anyone that could do it for me around sheffield . cheers
Hi, I’ve got the same problem did you get it sorted? What do I need to do? Cheers

maya77

Oct 18, 2021
Hi,

if you are sure that the pump is OK then there must be an error stored, which must be deleted to have power steering back.

Reactions: Josh267