Noise after start - FR 150

MrRilo

Jun 4, 2016
Buxton, Derbyshire
I have had a noise for a while which sounds to me like the starter motor over running. It only happens when the car has been stood for a few hours.

Took it to the dealer and surprisingly they couldn't make it do it, even though it does it every time it has been stood for a while. They said it's probably just tappet noise, I'm no expert but doesn't sound like it to me.

Sent them the video I have posted on youtube
they promised to get back to me, even and though I have rung 3 times, I've heard nothing back.

Any one got any ideas? Should I be worried?

2 year old FR 150 petrol with only 9000 on it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

zedlor

Aug 24, 2017
Warrington
...what am I listening for?

If it's that 'whirring' sound every Seat I've ever heard has made that noise after starting. My Cupra and my dad's FR 125 are the exact same.

MrRilo

Jun 4, 2016
Buxton, Derbyshire
...what am I listening for?

If it's that 'whirring' sound every Seat I've ever heard has made that noise after starting. My Cupra and my dad's FR 125 are the exact same.
It's the noise after it's started, goes on for about a second.

Does the Cupra and FR 125 do it when they are warm? Mine is silent when warm started.

MrRilo

Jun 4, 2016
Buxton, Derbyshire
Sounds normal to me. Has it just started doing it, or have you just noticed it?
Been doing it for a while but only noticed it because I hadn't got the radio switched on when i started it. May have always done it.

Reason I'm curious about it is because it sounds metallic to me and only does it cold.

zedlor

Aug 24, 2017
Warrington
It's the noise after it's started, goes on for about a second.

Does the Cupra and FR 125 do it when they are warm? Mine is silent when warm started.

Err...I don't think so no. Or if they do it isn't as pronounced. I thought it was strange when I got my Cupra, but ignored it, then someone else in a Cupra came down my road and when they started theirs up I heard it make the same noise. Now my dad's FR does it too, I thought it would have been something specific to the engine but I have no idea.

Reactions: MrRilo

Titchy

Jun 10, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Wans't sure how to describe the noise but whirling's about right

Does yours only do it cold as well?

Both my cupra and 1.8 tsi make the noise when cold. It’s nothing to worry about but it would be cool to know causes the noise.

Something to note is all the above cars have stop/start. It could be the starter is programmed to stay engaged at the beginning for a longer time. Seems to be a common thing across all vag TSI engines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Titchy

Jun 10, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Both my cupra and 1.8 tsi make the noise when cold. It’s nothing to worry about but it would be cool to know causes the noise.

Something to note is all the above cars have stop/start. It could be the starter is programmed to stay engaged at the beginning for a longer time. Seems to be a common thing across all vag TSI engines.

Scrap that, apprently it’s the oil pump getting up to pressure. When it’s left overnight or for a long time, the oil drains out of the pump. https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/443132-14-tsi-startup-noise/?do=findComment&comment=4982838

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
It's "new noise syndrome", particularly common on long road trips, especially when you're along way from help.
I had it on a bike trip in the South Island. I started to hear a undulating whining noise through the slow bits of twisty road, I was starting to get really worried, so I slowed more and then I heard words. It was my wife singing at full voice into her helmet.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise