Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

Non-spray bumper repair?

Discussion in 'Leon Mk1 (2000-2006)' started by iammooks, Apr 28, 2019.

1. iammooks

iammooks Active Member

I think you're right. When I bought the car, there was a split in the paint on the top of the bumper, that I'm guessing had been repaired - possible badly - and it either split on its own accord or when someone had driven into the back of the car. I had it repaired in 2011 after I'd rear-ended someone, but a year later the paint was bubbling, so I had them sort it. No issues since, until someone drove into the back of the car while parked up, which led to this damage.

Part of me wonders if this will just happen again if I repair it and someone does the same, so maybe a new bumper is in order. It's just so hard to find a silver bumper for a 54 reg FR at the moment.

2. verbal_kint

verbal_kint Active Member

Don't worry it's non-metallic so can survive and you can always cut it back. Your best bet is to strip all the paint, dig out any previous filler that you don't like to look of, and start from scratch that way you won't have the pain of blending in to surrounding areas. Personally I'd leave it until much warmer and no windy, you said you had a sheltered spot in the garden but safe from wind? You want conditions as perfect as possible not the weather you've got now. I'd say you'd need at least 2 poss 3 base coat cans to get a good layer down.

iammooks likes this.
  3. iammooks

iammooks Active Member

There's a covered alcove behind the house where there's no wind - it's essentially underground - so it would be a good place to work from. I've checked the paint code and it's Lunar Grey (LS7Y) so no issues getting hold of paint either. Actually quite looking forward to doing this - and it'll be great to have it looking like it's supposed to again. Just the wait for warmer weather now...

4. BigJase88

BigJase88 Jase

yeah looks like it has had filler on it once before. Maybe try find a 2nd hand one and get it sprayed would be a better idea

iammooks likes this.
  5. iammooks

iammooks Active Member

For sure - and in the end, I've got a while to wait until the weather gets better and I'd be able to do it properly. I've got a saved search on eBay and hopefully something will come up that means I don't have to drive half way to Scotland to pick it up...

6. iammooks

iammooks Active Member

Garage round the corner says they'll spray the whole bumper for £100. I wouldn't be able to do it myself for that price.

Any thoughts? Even if it's not the cleanest job, I'm thinking it's going to be better than how it looks now...

7. Alexis27

Alexis27 Active Member

They won't be doing it with rattle cans (I hope) so it's got to be better than trying it yourself even if it's not 100%.

iammooks likes this.
  8. iammooks

iammooks Active Member

It's a shame! In the end I was getting quite excited about filling the gouge, sanding it and prepping it, but an Isopon kit, all the sandpaper and what would probably have been three cans of base, a couple of cans of primer and a few of clearcoat would have been much more than £100.