Non-Starting Cupra - Whats Wrong Now? (Inc Video)

Al

Aug 29, 2005
im thinking RS4, M3, 335i here, would keep it longer than a SEAT and shouldnt be too much more expensive as those cars are so perfect imo, that any mod you attempt could possibly ruin it. Or just go the Evo route, only issue being is that the cupra is the fastest car I can insure at the privelege of 2.5 grand so will probably get one and keep it for a year or two until I can afford to insure a grp 20 car.

Like I say, all the cars you have listed are in a different price category.

Also don't be under the illusion that you will not succomb to the desire to tune something more exotic like a 335i. Yes they start as 307bhp, but they tune quite easily to 370bhp or thereabouts. Then you could start to change components to further that again.....

Anyway, going by your sig, a Cupra at 240bhp is gonna be a pretty decent step up anyway which you could also keep standard for fear of spoiling it. However, for tunability with stealer back up, an Astra VXR with a stage 3 conversion may be a better bet for you. Just under 300bhp would be available for a few grand over the basic price of the car.

Also bear in mind there is the Vauxhall equivalent of the VAG TFSi engine just round the corner for the next Astra VXR, with a similar turbo and tunability to the likes of the Cupra. If the current Astra VXR is something to go by, no doubt tuning kits which are warranty approved will be available for this car at your local Vauxhall stealership ;)

340bhp or so for just a couple of grand, complete with full warranty? Nice option to have. Just a shame its on a Poxhall.

Poverty

Like I say, all the cars you have listed are in a different price category.

Also don't be under the illusion that you will not succomb to the desire to tune something more exotic like a 335i. Yes they start as 307bhp, but they tune quite easily to 370bhp or thereabouts. Then you could start to change components to further that again.....

Anyway, going by your sig, a Cupra at 240bhp is gonna be a pretty decent step up anyway which you could also keep standard for fear of spoiling it. However, for tunability with stealer back up, an Astra VXR with a stage 3 conversion may be a better bet for you. Just under 300bhp would be available for a few grand over the basic price of the car.

Also bear in mind there is the Vauxhall equivalent of the VAG TFSi engine just round the corner for the next Astra VXR, with a similar turbo and tunability to the likes of the Cupra. If the current Astra VXR is something to go by, no doubt tuning kits which are warranty approved will be available for this car at your local Vauxhall stealership ;)

340bhp or so for just a couple of grand, complete with full warranty? Nice option to have. Just a shame its on a Poxhall.

that is true a standard cupra would do me for a year or two but I would be soo tempted to mod it. In other news if GM goes down there are rumours flying about that one of the big 3 germans might get hold of opel/vauxhall! If it hapens that would be great!

RCS2K4

Aug 28, 2007
Milton Keynes
www.xrct.co.uk
that is true a standard cupra would do me for a year or two but I would be soo tempted to mod it. In other news if GM goes down there are rumours flying about that one of the big 3 germans might get hold of opel/vauxhall! If it hapens that would be great!
Now that could be pretty cool. Look at how VAG turned SEAT and Skoda around...

We could all rush out and buy the "BMW VXR8", "Mercedes Insignia" or the "Volkswagen Zafira". IMO, they will all be better built! ;)

Craigieloon

Just spend the best part of 45 mins reading this. Im the Sales manager for Honda and i work closely with my after sales manager! HFE Honda Finance Europe has the very same clause built into its PCP, CONTRACT HIRE, PERSONAL CONTRACT HIRE and HP deals! Its in most contracts!! We work with our TYPE R owners! We only fix the cause of the problems even if the parts are modified but its a fine line and not everyone gets their claim authorised for work. its all to do with the way a claim is put down to HUK! This is down to the discretion of the dealership to be honest but being a young sales manager i have a bit more understanding of the younger car market! SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A HONDA!!! :lol:

but with a situation like your in mate can i ask.. what did you think was going to happen? I would have swapped out the ECU with a standard one before going to my stealership! Common sense i would have thought!! im heavily modified the ECU and my car aint starting! Give them no cause for rejection!!

Ive heard alot about dealerships being poor, customer service down, robbing bar stewards, big flashy showrooms etc!! il ask the question... do you think i want a big flashy showroom that costs a fecking fortune to operate!! No, i have no say in ANYTHING to do with the dealership. HONDA decide, its called Franchised standards, from salesmen to what colour of floor tiles i put down and also i have to word my adverts correctly, when advertising a diesel i HAVE to put i-CTDI, any other way and i get a £500 fine i was fines for putting a CAPITAL I... WTF!!!. Im not allowed to put the words SALE ANYWHERE in my adverts.. it distresses the brand apparently.. i want a shed as my showroom... so my costs are low and im making a fortune!! I may actually hit a quarter bonus! But no i have a showroom that cost 5.5 million pounds to build!! my service department pays for the running of the building and sales in the cream!! Thats what makes us the profit!! but due to credit crunch etc im making jack all...

I also read that someone say no car is worth half its value in a year!! Welcome to the credit crunch mate. All cars are worthless just now... noone is buying and if they are they its on the cheap , this is driving prices down, because people are getting **** offers for their PX's they aint changing their cars so sales of cars are down. Its a massive vicious circle!

I wish you all the best in your claim mate. I do see it as heavy handed and it could have been sorted out and handled alot better!! Customers are my cheapest form of advertising so we tend to bend over backwards as much as we can!

keep us updated and i will be showing this to the heads of HUK when we meet for our 2008OPS review!!

RCS2K4

Aug 28, 2007
Milton Keynes
www.xrct.co.uk
Wow, I can't believe this thread is rumbling on! It's been a while since I last visited here, but saw this flash up in an email this evening!

It's all change since I last come on here. The Leon is provisionally sold to an Evans Halshaw dealer for the new Focus RS. Delivery date is TBC, as is the final P/X price for the Cupra but they estimate August/Sep 09 for delivery, and approx £10K for the Cupra.

I'll be glad to be rid of it IMO. Great car, and very fast - when it works. It's garaged ATM with an ongoing fuel pump problem (more on that in another thread). Hopefully the Focus RS will put a smaile back on my face...

As the Mondeo i'm currently driving is not, lol...

iSot

Jan 30, 2008
Finland
im thinking RS4, M3, 335i here, would keep it longer than a SEAT and shouldnt be too much more expensive as those cars are so perfect imo, that any mod you attempt could possibly ruin it.
Your choices for the next car are RS4, M3, 335i and Cupra ? :p

Dont understand me wrong, but these cars are in quite different price class... :) Cupra is a great car for the value and also very very fast if you mod it with right parts...

If the money is not the problem, I would choose M3 with (turbo/supercharger) etc..but that cost approx. 3-4x times more than modded cupra :) -iSot

Poverty

Your choices for the next car are RS4, M3, 335i and Cupra ? :p

Dont understand me wrong, but these cars are in quite different price class... :) Cupra is a great car for the value and also very very fast if you mod it with right parts...

If the money is not the problem, I would choose M3 with (turbo/supercharger) etc..but that cost approx. 3-4x times more than modded cupra :) -iSot

next car options currently sat between a 335i and cupra, and perhaps a S audi, but I think in my head and heart im gonna go for the cupra, as whatever car I do get, it will get sold as soon as I can insure a Evo X or M3.

So will probably be a cupra driver, but will test drive a 335i and see if its worth the extra money and is as good as the media make out.

RCS2K4 what MY is your cupra and when do focus RS start deliveries?

RCS2K4

Aug 28, 2007
Milton Keynes
www.xrct.co.uk
RCS2K4 what MY is your cupra and when do focus RS start deliveries?
My Cupra is MY08. The first Focus RS cars will be on owners driveways for early March 09.
There's over 1000+ on pre-order, and Ford dont have 1000 coming to the UK in 2009, so I think my dealers delivery estimate of Aug/Sep 09 is a tad optimistic.

I'f I am not fussy on colour, I could get one faster (I.E, nabbing a dealers showroom car before it's even arrived!). Just have to see... I want it in Green... :whistle:

rcs m8 thought you sorted your fuel pump pron=blem with the replacement relay?
or have you got more problems?
More problems to boot i'm affraid. Premature fuel pump failure is a major concern, as there was some smoothing of "all the wrong areas" on the new Cam Follower after the old one failed, and after 600 miles, it's done it again... It has now been replaced again, and seams to be holding up better after the map was adjusted for the 10,000th time!

Next on my list of "whats broken now" is the Forge Twintercooler. IMO, it seams like it's not very efficient at recovering the cars temp after a thrashing. Inlet temps were getting a bit peakey when she was at Bedford Autodrome a few weesk back, and the cooling fans were on at full tilt constantly. I think it's inhibiting the airflow over the front grille to the rad and the other (stock) intercooler.

Engine also squeeks on tick-over (See my other thread!). Think it's the Cam Belt or Alternator this time, but will be open to suggestions!

Should be thankfull that at least when I turn the key, it starts and drives. :ban:

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
More problems to boot i'm affraid. Premature fuel pump failure is a major concern, as there was some smoothing of "all the wrong areas" on the new Cam Follower after the old one failed, and after 600 miles, it's done it again... It has now been replaced again, and seams to be holding up better after the map was adjusted for the 10,000th time!

thanks for the update , is it the APR fuel pump u have or autotech?
this will probably a mod most of us would do to get big BHP would be good if you could keep us updated.
i want to aim for around between 320 and 340 bhp max

iSot

Jan 30, 2008
Finland
I have a APR HPFP and no problems in last 10 000km. The last time when the condition was check it the cam follower was like a brand new :) ... -iSot

iSot

Jan 30, 2008
Finland
The fuel pump on the car is the Autotech one, if you can call it that. It's just a replacement for a few bits of the stock pump remember...

Yep, but every manufacturers have many different revisions for the HPFP pumps. AutoTech hpfp was in Jc@douglas car and it failed, but that could be the first models and these newest revisions could work as well than others... I dunno for sure... :confused: -iSot

Last edited:

iSot

Jan 30, 2008
Finland
chris@revotechnik - vwvortex.com said:
B version of intake cam is not failing.

The follower is failing and then the tip if the pump is running directly on the cam and destroying the cam.

No matter what brand of pump you have I'd highly recommend checking your follower at about 6K miles and every 1K miles after that till its worn off the coating and starts to chew up the metal. If you catch it early enough you can save your cam. If its too late you are talking close to a grand in parts not including labor.

In cases where its an A cam the lobes are worn down and mangled, often deforming to the sides. In the cases of B cams the follower is just worn or if worn through the cam is then scratched from running directly on the tip of the pump.

I have been sent pictures of followers after 40K on them that look brand new, after 5K with a pump obvious wear. I have yet to see a single car on a stock pump have wear or a break like I have seen. Even the failures with A cams look entirely different.

The wear in the center of the follower is always the same regardless of pump being used. Where it breaks is always the same.

You want to run a pump, buy anyone you want. You want it to last a long time.. check the follower frequently.

One opinion for choosing a HPFP....

Poverty

One opinion for choosing a HPFP....

not something the tuners shout about too much when selling the products. So the only way to avoid frequent big bills is to frequently pay someone alot of money to check your engine?

iSot

Jan 30, 2008
Finland
not something the tuners shout about too much when selling the products. So the only way to avoid frequent big bills is to frequently pay someone alot of money to check your engine?

Yep.. If you want to be sure about the follower condition, so then it would be B intake cam + checking the cam follower example. every 5000-10 000km.... The follower is cheap and the pump is quite easy to uninstall, so the labor cost would not kill your wallet ;) -iSot

RCS2K4

Aug 28, 2007
Milton Keynes
www.xrct.co.uk
in what way did it 'fail'?
The easiest way to explain it would be to say that:
  • The fuel pump is cam driven, so...
  • The stock pump has a small rod that in-directly connects to it, and makes it turn (or pump)
  • The one with the autotech kit is shorter = making the fuel pump complete more revolutions if you will, in the same 1 complete circuit that the stock one run from.
  • It is this part (I believe it is known as the cam follower?) that is wearing out, and causes expensive repair's if it snaps in two, or wears itself down to nothing more than a smooth and shiny peice of metal.
The one before last only went 600 miles or there abouts before causing major damage to the engine. Repair bill was pretty expensive and the car was off the road for weeks. Incidently, something is now wrong with my Cam belt - or something from that area - making strange noises (See my other thread!)

I think the reason for failure is either that the parts used are not of a high enough strength, or some Revo settings were to agressive. Timings were stepped back, esp with fueling on the SPS device, and we will see how we go. At the mo, the car has it checked every 2 weeks, but as it's being barely being driven, it's still looking as good as new.

I dont have much faith in it holding up TBH. The decision will be taken in 2009 to strip the car back to stock settings and just keep hold of her as a stock Cupra until the Focus RS arrives... I can't be doing with this anymore.

I've modify a lot of cars in the past, and none have given me the problems this one has done. Shame really, because when it works for that briefest of moments at 100% it's ******* rapid!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.