Non-Starting Cupra - Whats Wrong Now? (Inc Video)

Ben CTR

Still Part Of VAG
May 6, 2003
Open Road...
Visit site
Was seriously thinking about upgrading the pump on mine to a Autotech one, but think I may leave it now after reading all your views. Main reason is I do a lot of milage (3k a month) and have no interest in having to have things checked every week in the hope it's not going to let go. Not my idea of fun motoring.. :(

seremotors

Dave the Parts Manager
Mar 11, 2008
Belfast UK
www.seatcupra.net
http://www.thorneymotorsport.co.uk/vauxhall/about.php

Check this out - this is what SEAT need to start doing with some of the better independants! A service only service, no car sales.

Block exemption meant that any dealer can go 'parts and service' only. We have one full sales/aftersales branch and my branch is aftersales only ie parts, service, warranty. Still have to meet an absolute s**tload of VAG standards tho which is an expensive pain :(

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Was seriously thinking about upgrading the pump on mine to a Autotech one, but think I may leave it now after reading all your views. Main reason is I do a lot of milage (3k a month) and have no interest in having to have things checked every week in the hope it's not going to let go. Not my idea of fun motoring.. :(

i wouldnt let it put you off mate.
the way i see it is the autotech or apr pump is pretty much essential to get good midrange fuel delivery.
The threads about the cam followers apply to both cars with uprated fuel pumps and the vag standard ones , if you have a 2.0 tfsi engine you can not escape the follower wearing and or cam damage , the only way to make sure it doesnt get too bad is to do periodical checks or ask your dealer to check when your car is serviced.
If your car is modded Ben then you will have already put a strain on this system.

i have also read that APR do 100 % fuel pump checks before selling and i think awesome also test on their own test rig before fitting and selling? and as far as i know there have been no issues with APR fuel pumps , i think its just RCS who has been the unlucky 1?

Ben CTR

Still Part Of VAG
May 6, 2003
Open Road...
Visit site
i wouldnt let it put you off mate.
the way i see it is the autotech or apr pump is pretty much essential to get good midrange fuel delivery.
The threads about the cam followers apply to both cars with uprated fuel pumps and the vag standard ones , if you have a 2.0 tfsi engine you can not escape the follower wearing and or cam damage , the only way to make sure it doesnt get too bad is to do periodical checks or ask your dealer to check when your car is serviced.
If your car is modded Ben then you will have already put a strain on this system.

i have also read that APR do 100 % fuel pump checks before selling and i think awesome also test on their own test rig before fitting and selling? and as far as i know there have been no issues with APR fuel pumps , i think its just RCS who has been the unlucky 1?

Thing is mate, if something lets go with the standard pump, I know that my dealership will be fine to change it, as already fine with my mods (Revo Stage 2). But not so sure if I go down the pump route that they will still be ok, will have to check.
Wasn't going to go any further with mods as was more than happy with the 331bhp 364lb/ft I already have and coupled with the DSG it's plenty quick enough really. BUT after realising that the Autotech is only £300 fitted and Stage 2+ upgrade £50, I thought why the hell not, especially after seeing the results from Stage 2+. The APR one is a quality product, no doubt, but is also nearly 3 x more expensive and I just can't justify that really.

Mmmmm decisions decisions... :confused:

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
well from the questions i have asked the APR fuel pump is basically a vag oem pump with different internals , uses original cam follower , so the stealers would be none the wiser , but i do see your point on the price , but i have also read ( yes i am bored lol) that there have been a few quality problems with the autotech pumps

as you say decisions decsions.

just out of interest have you checked your cam follower?

Poverty

this whole cam wear issue is putting me off the cupra and other VAG models with that engine fitted. :(

The TT-s and newer versions of the S3 have a updated design so wont have these issues, think I might have to get one of those a year old, as cant wait for SEAT to update their design.

warren_cox

Back from the dead
Coilpacks, DV's, fuel pumps internals......

To be honest every day our cars start we should be pretty grateful!! But at least we know that the VAG group manufacturers will always be competant, considerate and generous in assisting us when it all goes Pete Tong.:headhurt:

RCS2K4

Aug 28, 2007
Milton Keynes
www.xrct.co.uk
what was the problem why it wouldnt start in the end?
Blown relay - It's mentioned some many pages back... She was pushed into the garage this evening as it could not drive in under it's own power. What a waste of a £20K car - I doubt I could give it away...

Bring on the Focus. As for price coxw, it's listed at £24995 on the dealers docs. Met green/blue/black/orange paint is a cost option, but price TBC. Red and White are "free" colours. Only options released ATM are:
  • Sat-Nav
  • Parking Sensors

Again, no prices - But it comes kitted out to almost ST-3 level spec anyway...

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
The easiest way to explain it would be to say that:
  • The fuel pump is cam driven, so...
  • The stock pump has a small rod that in-directly connects to it, and makes it turn (or pump)
  • The one with the autotech kit is shorter = making the fuel pump complete more revolutions if you will, in the same 1 complete circuit that the stock one run from.
  • It is this part (I believe it is known as the cam follower?) that is wearing out, and causes expensive repair's if it snaps in two, or wears itself down to nothing more than a smooth and shiny peice of metal.
The one before last only went 600 miles or there abouts before causing major damage to the engine. Repair bill was pretty expensive and the car was off the road for weeks. Incidently, something is now wrong with my Cam belt - or something from that area - making strange noises (See my other thread!)

I think the reason for failure is either that the parts used are not of a high enough strength, or some Revo settings were to agressive. Timings were stepped back, esp with fueling on the SPS device, and we will see how we go. At the mo, the car has it checked every 2 weeks, but as it's being barely being driven, it's still looking as good as new.

I dont have much faith in it holding up TBH. The decision will be taken in 2009 to strip the car back to stock settings and just keep hold of her as a stock Cupra until the Focus RS arrives... I can't be doing with this anymore.

I've modify a lot of cars in the past, and none have given me the problems this one has done. Shame really, because when it works for that briefest of moments at 100% it's ******* rapid!

cheers for your reply.

i understand how the hpfp's work, i just wanted to know what actually happened to yours.

did the pump itself fail on yours or did the cam follower wear?

no amount of mapping or other engine mods will increase wear, as it simply rides on a cam lobe dispacing a volume of fuel. either you have been unlucky and had 2 cam followers wear (and in 600 miles :shrug:), or you got a duff hpfp, or you leave your car in questionable hands.

i appreciate youve probably had a belly full of the car by now, and the next straw could be the one that breaks the camels back, i'm just hoping we (i mean the rest of us) can learn something from your misfortune.

if the rs turns out to be more reliable, the money you save might pay for the extra fuel you'll be needing :whistle:.

Last edited:

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Stage 2).
Wasn't going to go any further with mods as was more than happy with the 331bhp 364lb/ft I already have and coupled with the DSG it's plenty quick enough really.

Happy days m8 thats what im after between 320 and 340 bhp , what mods you got to get you there?

micky 32

Oct 30, 2003
Longford, Ireland
Visit site
I still think the pump is worth the risk. I too am doing 3k-4k a month and must have nearly 10k on the autotech pump now and all is fine. I'm running a highly modded vRS ko3 making 288bhp. In a couple of weeks i'll take the follower out and take pictures to see what it's like at 10k.

Ben CTR

Still Part Of VAG
May 6, 2003
Open Road...
Visit site
I still think the pump is worth the risk. I too am doing 3k-4k a month and must have nearly 10k on the autotech pump now and all is fine. I'm running a highly modded vRS ko3 making 288bhp. In a couple of weeks i'll take the follower out and take pictures to see what it's like at 10k.

If you wouldn't mind mate. Would like to see what the result is as it's very interesting to know that you are also doing high milage on a tuned car like myself..
I mainly do motorway mileage, so it's probably no more stressfull to components than a less mileage, town driven car..

micky 32

Oct 30, 2003
Longford, Ireland
Visit site
If you wouldn't mind mate. Would like to see what the result is as it's very interesting to know that you are also doing high milage on a tuned car like myself..
I mainly do motorway mileage, so it's probably no more stressfull to components than a less mileage, town driven car..

No problem mate watch this space :). I'm also using the longlife oil that is also designed for PD TDI engines which has additives for the high stress they have on their cams. Might be beneficial for these cars too. Those PD oils will have 505.01, 506.01 and 507.00 but make sure they have the petrol specs on them too. The oil i'm using is 507.00 but also has 504.00 for the petrol.