Nostalgia or a real desire?

Dyscontinued

Apr 15, 2007
Leeds
Hello,

I used to have a Mk1 LCR a few years ago, before that I had a Mk1 Cupra TDI which got written off outside my house.

Anyway, I was never sure about selling my LCR at the time and I still strain my neck and risk an injury whenever I see one go on by.

I've even being on the MOT checker website and my old car is still around, somewhere.

I have a real big pull to find it and buy it back. How are the cars holding up these days? I realise they are getting old, but then, I'd like to have it as a classic anyway!

Reg plate started K**5 if anyone has it!

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
I've owned mine twice .....
Leaks like a sieve, sounds like its go a supercharger fitted , body work rough (age related) , is mildly modified BUT is maintained to the best of my ability , starts 1st time every time , is still very capable and generally reliable - puts a smile on my face.

bigT's lcr

Delete. Beat. Repeat...
Feb 27, 2016
Leeds
Great cars. If u dont find one then just get another. They go for peanuts these days, alot of car for your money. I give 2300 for mine. Go on! Get urself another lcr . You know it makes sense :yes:

Reactions: BadBoy03

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
They are holding up as well as their owners bank accounts are running dry.
Really, once you’ve spent a small fortune they run perfectly and give loads of love back.
With r the money I invested I’ll be driving this to my grave.
Just to gee you up a bit here’s mine.
06edcc7035ada794fe8a9a2cd10cc36d.plist

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

DOLBY

Jun 24, 2006
North of London
www.facebook.com
I got much respect for you that you're looking to get it back. These cars have that appeal. If you're really into the Leon you'll never let it pass by, and if you do let it go (lots of people have) and regret it later you find another and get back into the scene.

Thing is, would you want the same one back? I know I would be hesitant as you have no idea how it had been driven or looked after in that time.

Im still mega surprised there's still a few really good hidden gems left on the road.

Mine originally was a daily that had every dime I earned spent on it. Then it became a motorway tool due to secondment so miles went up. Then cos the miles were piling on I bought a 520d and mine got left. (I deeply regret it). So now I'm in the process of trying to get it back to the standard it was. It's costing a small fortune (and most of my savings to do it) but I still love the car.

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
I've this month got myself back in an LCR after a 7 year stint without one.
I had a silver LCR 225 2004 reg in 2008 with 60k on the clocks that I took to 85k with a few mild bolt on mods and only sold it for my first home.

Fast forward to this month and I traded a cupra tdi 150 for another LCR 225 2005 reg in grey with only 62k for just over £3k. It needs a few minor jobs doing but I quite like being able to improve it rather than a brand new car which is hard to make better than the day you roll it out the showroom. Steering, handling and power are on another leon to the cupra so I'm absolutely loving it.

With age there definitely are parts that will just fail due to time rather than mileage ie plastic fittings, rusted bolts and split vacuum pipes. Rust wise though they seem very good. They're at that price point that many are being scraped but that also means a great second hand parts supply both original and aftermarket making repairs and upgrades cheap.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Reactions: bigT's lcr

Fozzy84

Apr 23, 2012
I sold mine to a mate after 18 months of ownership back in 2013 as i was moving abroad for a few years.
When i moved back, he was selling up a few months later so i bought it back late 2015 and still have it now.
It was always the car i missed the most after selling.
Its now my track car and i don't ever intend on selling it again!

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
I sold mine to a mate after 18 months of ownership back in 2013 as i was moving abroad for a few years.
When i moved back, he was selling up a few months later so i bought it back late 2015 and still have it now.
It was always the car i missed the most after selling.
Its now my track car and i don't ever intend on selling it again!
Hey Fozzy if you dont mind me asking what have you done to get yours track ready, what mods are worth it and those that arent?

Fozzy84

Apr 23, 2012
Hey Fozzy if you dont mind me asking what have you done to get yours track ready, what mods are worth it and those that arent?

Hey man.
No not at all I don’t mind.

SORRY IN ADVANCE FOR HOW LONG THIS POST IS GOING TO BE!!

As I don’t have an open cheque book I do bits as I go along.

The car is a 54 Reg LCR. It’s now done 81k. It has a meticulous service record as I need it stay reliable.. which considering most miles are driven hard, This part is very important.

Engine wise:
Ko4 standard turbo.
Standard block.
Airtec FMIC.
Ram air filter.
Forge recirc valve.
Turbo intake pipe.
Silicon boost hoses.
3” downpipe/ decat with milltek non res cat back.
Stage 2 by JBS to 99 Ron with overrun enabled
286bhp / 321ft lbs. (previously APR stage 2 but I didn’t like how it drove/power delivery.)

Chassis:
H&R rear ARB.
BAF motorsport rear upper brace.
Polybushed front arms.
Silver projekt camber adjustable top mounts running 2.6 degrees neg camber.
AP coilovers.
8mm front & 15mm rear spacers.

Wheels:
Team Dynamics 1.2s in metallic bronze with Yoko AD08r tyres.

Brakes:
Brembo solid discs all round.
Ferodo ds1.11 front pads.
Ebc yellowstuff rear pads.
5.1 fluid.
Home made brake ducting.

Inside:
Corbeau clubsport bucket seats.
Omp frames.
Sparco harnesses.
Dishes steering wheel.
Partially stripped interior.

Things that made the most improvements..?

Rear ARB - Before this the rear was really tail happy.

Bucket seats & harnesses - To hold you in place on the fast bends.

Semi slick tyres - questionable in the wet but in the dry they are great, the hotter they get the stickier they get too. Not used another brand as I’m very happy with these.

Brakes: don’t skimp on average pads! My car takes a beating and initially I boiled the fluid & warped the discs but I now run 5.1 and change it yearly to ensure the brakes perform.

A lot of people tend to spunk a lot of money on parts etc, do just a few track days, and then either run out of money or lose interest.

What I did was run the car standard initially, next track day I added springs and stage 1, then better tires and brakes, then seats & steering wheel, then coilovers and an ARB, then stage 2 etc etc

My advise would be to do it this way as you can learn
Your car’s capabilities, and your own.. but also see
How the car improves after each modification.

Ps don’t forget essential maintenance. I change my oil every other track day & coolant once a year.

Just get one booked, get out there, and have fun!

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
With Foxzzy on this one
Add bits stage by stage.
Handling wise best mods will be Arb’s and coilovers.
Oh and a seat and harness.
I was flying about inside the cabin on fast corners to start with.
Seat makes a huge difference.

DOLBY

Jun 24, 2006
North of London
www.facebook.com
They are holding up as well as their owners bank accounts are running dry.
Really, once you’ve spent a small fortune they run perfectly and give loads of love back.
With r the money I invested I’ll be driving this to my grave.
Just to gee you up a bit here’s mine.
06edcc7035ada794fe8a9a2cd10cc36d.plist

I laughed out loud at this comment as I can't totally relate. £££ when mine dies (and it will eventually) no one is having it. It will remain in the garden as an ornament or something.

Reactions: Sparkie

Manic172

https://m.facebook.com/ManicMotorsport1
Dec 4, 2018
Hemel hempstead
www.seatcupra.net
Hey man.
No not at all I don’t mind.

SORRY IN ADVANCE FOR HOW LONG THIS POST IS GOING TO BE!!

As I don’t have an open cheque book I do bits as I go along.

The car is a 54 Reg LCR. It’s now done 81k. It has a meticulous service record as I need it stay reliable.. which considering most miles are driven hard, This part is very important.

Engine wise:
Ko4 standard turbo.
Standard block.
Airtec FMIC.
Ram air filter.
Forge recirc valve.
Turbo intake pipe.
Silicon boost hoses.
3” downpipe/ decat with milltek non res cat back.
Stage 2 by JBS to 99 Ron with overrun enabled
286bhp / 321ft lbs. (previously APR stage 2 but I didn’t like how it drove/power delivery.)

Chassis:
H&R rear ARB.
BAF motorsport rear upper brace.
Polybushed front arms.
Silver projekt camber adjustable top mounts running 2.6 degrees neg camber.
AP coilovers.
8mm front & 15mm rear spacers.

Wheels:
Team Dynamics 1.2s in metallic bronze with Yoko AD08r tyres.

Brakes:
Brembo solid discs all round.
Ferodo ds1.11 front pads.
Ebc yellowstuff rear pads.
5.1 fluid.
Home made brake ducting.

Inside:
Corbeau clubsport bucket seats.
Omp frames.
Sparco harnesses.
Dishes steering wheel.
Partially stripped interior.

Things that made the most improvements..?

Rear ARB - Before this the rear was really tail happy.

Bucket seats & harnesses - To hold you in place on the fast bends.

Semi slick tyres - questionable in the wet but in the dry they are great, the hotter they get the stickier they get too. Not used another brand as I’m very happy with these.

Brakes: don’t skimp on average pads! My car takes a beating and initially I boiled the fluid & warped the discs but I now run 5.1 and change it yearly to ensure the brakes perform.

A lot of people tend to spunk a lot of money on parts etc, do just a few track days, and then either run out of money or lose interest.

What I did was run the car standard initially, next track day I added springs and stage 1, then better tires and brakes, then seats & steering wheel, then coilovers and an ARB, then stage 2 etc etc

My advise would be to do it this way as you can learn
Your car’s capabilities, and your own.. but also see
How the car improves after each modification.

Ps don’t forget essential maintenance. I change my oil every other track day & coolant once a year.

Just get one booked, get out there, and have fun!
Just seen you run TD 1.2 wheels. What size and width do you run. What do you recon to the yoko tyres

Fozzy84

Apr 23, 2012
Just seen you run TD 1.2 wheels. What size and width do you run. What do you recon to the yoko tyres

18x8 with 225/40/18 tyres.

I chose the 1.2s as they were reasonably priced. Yoko ad08’s are fantastic in my opinion.. plus I can’t afford R888’s lol

Attachments

• 1C586F75-E413-4C53-9312-B81EAD3D6649.jpeg
    1C586F75-E413-4C53-9312-B81EAD3D6649.jpeg
    445.4 KB · Views: 66
Reactions: Manic172
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.