Not a good start to 2014!

madduffyx

Dec 21, 2009
Hey all,

So I was washing my car today only to find what i can best describe as a chunk out of the paint work towards the end raised line of the car. It looks like someone has hammered there door into mine or a massive boulder has flown up off the road. It's not just taken the paint off but more a bit out of the metal (if that makes sense) I've popped a couple of photos on to see if anyone call help suggest what to do? Is there places that would be able to sort this out? I'm in the Darlington area if anyone has any name checks :) It's just unfortunate where it is, as it's right on the raised line of the car so could make repairing it a bit more difficult.

Thanks for any suggestions and happy new year to you all.

madduffyx

Dec 21, 2009
Cheers Cupra :)

Matt, Yeah I'm hoping someone on here will suggest somebody with a good track record as I'm fairly new to the North East. I'd rather pay a bit more to get it sorted properly because like you said, it'll stick out like a sore thumb if it's not done correctly. Bit like it's doing at the moment :(

dieselface

Jul 1, 2010
Have you asked Paul who did your detailing he may be able to sort it out for you?

Defiantly worth the spends to get it right..

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
That is 100% a supermarket carpark door ding. Someone with an old rust bucket has bashed their door onto your car.

This is why I always park in 2 bays over in a quiet corner. Also I get a little exersize walking across the carpark.

madduffyx

Dec 21, 2009
Diesel face, asked Paul and unfortunately not, he didn't mention anyone either so I might drop him an email and see if he knows anyone.

Derelyth, I live in the North East but originally from Scotland so back there quiet a lot, where abouts is he based?

As I expected Nath, some complete nob head with no respect to other peoples stuff. Haha, I'm exactly the same. You can always see my car in a car park as it's all on its own, miles away from the shop. How ever someone always managed to park next to you!!

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
I've seen kids kick open the car door so that it flies open and into the next door car. No restraint from parents.

Fred99

Sep 21, 2013
Granada, Southern Spain
That's going to be a common problem with these sharp styling lines on the car. If someone opens their door against a flat panel there is rarely much damage but on the Leon it looks like it could be a problem as the whole of the relatively small impact affects a very small area with nasty consequences.

As has been suggested, try and park in a quiet area but that isn't always too easy.

I suppose you could tape up all the style lines with Duct Tape but that wouldn't look too clever!

Last edited:

madduffyx

Dec 21, 2009
Agreed with you there Fred, a lot of raised areas along the side of the car which are more likely to take a battering. Yeh, I have an idea when it was done and sadly it was post Christmas supermarket nonsense where there wasn't a luxury of parking on my own and far away :(

derelyth

Jun 11, 2011
Portsmouth
Derelyth, I live in the North East but originally from Scotland so back there quiet a lot, where abouts is he based?

He's mobile, Scotland-wide mate. His Facebook page has more details and examples of his work:

CarWizard Ltd

Owns a remapped CLS AMG too which is a plus :D . If you contact him, let him know Karl (Leon owner) gave you the nod, he'll see you right.

madduffyx

Dec 21, 2009
Cheers Karl, I'll have a nosey on his Facebook page and maybe get something sorted for the next time I'm back in Scotland.

In the mean time, is there a risk of it rusting with the salt on the roads etc? If so, is there anything I should do? My dad suggested Vaseline, but not sure lol

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE
id use a touch in pen and put the lacquer over it then you know is sealed until you can get it sorted properly

madduffyx

Dec 21, 2009
Quick update....Got a quote of £100 to do the repair from a body shop that had done a good job on my girl friends mini. He said that it was more expensive due to the where the dent was, so would require a re-spray of the panel :(

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Really feel for you mate.

On the plus side as the paint is new a good repaint of the section should blend in well as the existing paint will not have faded - get a few quotes but i would try to go with the best of course not the cheapest. Alternatively if you dont fancy a respray a very careful 'touch up' may actually be the way to go. Try calling a respected SMART dent removal company as they often have contacts who can do this after they have removed the dent.

Best of luck, let us know how yo get on.

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
On the crease with a dent. Very very tricky for a SMART repair. But you never know. I'd go with a proper bodyshop. When someone scraped my car that I was sitting in (a chase ensued!) I got a quote from CHIPS away and the BMW bodyshop. They were £5 apart. Guess which I went with. Now can't tell where it was and they did the front quarter bumper for £150. And there was a bit of a haggle too.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members