Notification of Post deletes etc

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
I listed to items for sale in the for sale thread, both have not appeared, it appears it may be because i have no active email address on it, but this is due to my work one being down and my wanadoo being blocked for some reason, so just left it at PM.

Could you please try and tell people why a post may be deleted, and also why a for sale link has not been posted, it seems a waste of effort of writing the post for it just to be chucked out, why can't you just copy it and quote it in reply and tell us the problem. How can people learn if they are not shown the error of their ways.

Also same goes for a post i put up in mk4 about bits going, that was deleted without explanation, esepcaially as there was no prices etc put up in there, i referred others to the for sale links ( which ended up going amiss too) and if it was deleted for the reason of mentioning for sale items, you may want to be consistent and delete the othe rload of threads which are listing items for sale,

rant over!

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
If you read the stickies at the top of the for sale sections there is a list of what's required in each ad, so it's not like the information isn't out there. If people choose not to read it and their ad is subsequently deleted because it's missing one or more bits of information then it can hardly be our fault.

As I stated in another thread over the weekend, both myself and Jase have full time jobs and do this on a volunteer basis, so don't have time to send everyone who omits information from a post to let them know the error of their ways.

Ultimately, the for sale and wanted sections are yet another free service from SCN and can be withdrawn at any time, so if you can't abide by the rules, then don't use it.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Look, would you put an ad in a newspaper, or in a shop window, without some means for a buyer to contact you?? Why should we have to chase you when people can't read simple instructions.

I'll add that the PM system is not a reliable means of contacting someone, if for example a potential buyer is interested, but for some reason SCN goes off the air, or there is a technical problem on the site, there goes your means of contact.

As i said the other day, which i'll repeat again for the benefit of people, many people who visit SCN may never post on the forum, they are quite happy to sit back and read and search, but they are still potential buyers. But for security reasons and anti spam, we prevent Newbies from using the PM system, until they reach at least 10 posts to the forum.

There are a lot of Newbies, by not adding your contact details, you've just cut off a big secton of your audience.

I also echo what mrcoyote says, its moderated for us by volunteers, if it wasn't moderated, we wouldn't have a for sale section, simple as that.

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
yes points noted, however. If a kid does domething wrong do you just smack him and kepe silent. Nope you tell him what he has done wrong or he does'nt learn.

Thats why i think best to just let people know if a post has been deleted and for why, not just stealthly.

Also no need to list the above stuff about volunteer etc as i know all this and appreciate it as do the rest of us. Not having a dig personally. But am just asking for a reasonable addition. I did have a mod role in another site and no that when we deleted posts we used to let people know why and when, it then stopped furter problem or reoffences.

Also will my for sale things be put up as i do NOT have an e-mail to acces until next week and am on here everyday so will reply to PM's.

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
Ant FR said:
Also will my for sale things be put up as i do NOT have an e-mail to acces until next week and am on here everyday so will reply to PM's.

Nope. We can't and won't start making exceptions. There are plenty of free email providers around on the web, so you can either sign up for one of them or wait a week.

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Just a suggestion but is there a way of putting an auto response to the person if you delete there email? That way you don’t have to do anything extra and the person just gets an email saying there email has been deleted please read the site rules? Shouldn’t take too long to set up and it could provide help to the admin team and the normal users? I have put a few things up and forgotten to put things on (but I didn’t realise at the time) like a price etc but didn’t want to repost as I know how busy you guys are and thought it may get on your tits reading my email over and over again!

If you need any help subbing out your work load don’t hesitate to ask as im sure there are plenty of people on here who have got so much that are willing to put a little back in

Saul

<b>SCN Admin</b>
May 21, 2001
if you look when a thread has been deleted, the moderator leaves a message underneath saying why

all the ones you posted ant fr where deleted for "no contact details" which are clearly required as stated in the rules of the for sale section sticky at the top of the for sale forum

if you are stuck for email addresses its not really our fault, there are plenty of free emails available on the web (hotmail for one)

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Ant FR said:
don't bother then

When i receive emails from people saying can you just tell whatsit im interested in their item, or car for sale, i sent them a PM, but ive had no reply, and i sent it 10 mins ago. :whistle:

And then you take that message and multiply it 50 or even more times, a day!! then you can see why we've little patience for being somebody else's messenger service.

If you don't want to use the FREE ad area, fine don't use it, not as if your paying us for your ad. Try AutoTrader. ;)

Last edited:

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
Saul said:
if you look when a thread has been deleted, the moderator leaves a message underneath saying why

so what happened to my post made saturday night entitiled

" bits have got to go" there was no reason left for that ones deleltion:confused:

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
The mk4 thread was deleted by me - and I clicked the wrong option by accident

I also went throughout the for sale section deleting all the 'deletion' notices as well on sunday - there were about 40 out of 75 total!

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
so can it be put back on as i have received loads of PMs asking what is happening to the bits on my old FR. Seems easier so people can then get it if they want it, if not it goes on ebay.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
There are two options - mods can only 'soft' delete - which is what they do

admin can hard delete which removes from the server as well - which is what I did by accident

they're all gone.

Sorry - with the number of ads to check they can't be selective (I impose strict rules for the two guys to adhere to) and then I just do the tidying afterwards

If we let you have an ad with 'PM' only - then when I get emails asking 'can I forward this to Ant FR' can I charge you a fiver?

You'd be amazed how often it happens that myself & zboyd are mistake for a message taking service :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members