Now even hybrids are possibly under threat

• Thread starter Deleted member 103408
  • Start date

Deleted member 103408

BBC Link http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44008098

Headline
Car industry on alert over reports some hybrids face a ban

The UK's car industry has hit out at the government over unconfirmed reports ministers will target hybrid vehicles as part of a new emissions crackdown.

New cars unable to do at least 50 miles on electric power may be banned by 2040, a ruling that would hit the UK's best-selling hybrid, Toyota's Prius.

The SMMT car trade body said "misleading" government messages were damaging the industry and hitting jobs.

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
Personally I am not a fan of hybrids

At first glance they appear to be the silver 'green' bullet for our addiction to fossil fuels. However, the carbon footprint in order to generate the battery pack is unreal. The amount of heavy metals required and intensive mining in third world countries etc. is immense.

I did read somewhere (whether it is true or not) that the carbon footprint required to generate the battery pack alone on a Prius equated to a fully produced Hummer plus the running of it on average US mileage for four years.

From memory, I think that only 25% of batteries are recycled from Hybrid/EV's. Not good enough imo.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.