Number plate light issues

Alanharris91

Apr 2, 2018
Recently changed my bulbs to leds, all worked fine for a couple of days and then bam!! Error light and no working leds. I then put the old( working bulbs) back into the car and now they wont work, plugged into the vagcom no errors showing either, connected the bulb and holder to a 12v battery and worked! Car is a leon mk2 fl

Anyone had issues like this before?

Cheers

Alanharris91

Apr 2, 2018
Its okay now dude sorted it. After paying to have it plugged in etc all i done was disconnected the battery left it 10 minutes then reconnected and *boom* theyre working again

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
OK. No probs.

Are you using CAN-Bus LED bulbs? Whether you are or not I would highly recommend that you get the BCM configured to have the cold and warm diagnosis circuits switched off for the number plate bulbs. This will allow any type of LED bulb to be fitted (CAN Bus or non CAN Bus ones), it will prevent any stobing of the bulbs that can sometimes occur during switch on which is caused by the diagnosis circuit trying to check the bulbs, and it will help to avoid any potential damage to either the LED bulbs or the BCM.

You can switch off the number plate bulb diagnosis circuits using VCDS or OBDEleven. I posted details on how to do that using VCDS HERE.