obd bluetooth

derelyth

Jun 11, 2011
Portsmouth
Might go for another run this afternoon or tomorrow and floor it to see what is logged as the highest boost. Not 100% sure how it's calculated and whether the data in the vehicle profile affects the calculation - I don't know if my weight is correct (currently at 1540KG).

I've never seen a vacuum on mine when the program was working correctly, being that it's a TDI so can't really help you there! Though I do have it set to always show as PSI and not in/Hg and see a max of -0.1PSI.

derelyth

Jun 11, 2011
Portsmouth
Sorry, ive only used this on my PD130 A4, i have seen vac readings but they have been out, now it refuses to show vac.

You shouldn't see (or at most, -0.2PSI or the inHg equivalent) "vacuum" on a TDI because of the way they work.

The only time I've seen any large vac values on mine was in the .26 update when the boost calculation must have been messed up - I was seeing anything down to -7.5PSI. With the correct calculation I see at most -0.2PSI, normally -0.1 upto 0.1PSI on idle.

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Ahhh, then it works well. lol. I was thinking it would be the same as my Ibiza. I was seeing the same as you.

Is yours set at 0.0 or -14.7 on the vehicle setup for boost?

derelyth

Jun 11, 2011
Portsmouth
Ahhh, then it works well. lol. I was thinking it would be the same as my Ibiza. I was seeing the same as you.

Is yours set at 0.0 or -14.7 on the vehicle setup for boost?

Aye, diesels a "free breathers" - the throttle pedal just changes the amount of fuel flow, so there is never a vacuum.

In a petrol engine the throttle moves a butterfly valve which adjusts the airflow - when its closed, there's no airflow which is where a vacuum is measured in a turbo petrol engine.

Um...I think it's 0.0 - I'm not sure exactly when you'd adjust this, though I'm guessing it depends on the altitude of where you live or something like that. I did change it to -14.7 at one point, which then (as kind of expected) put the boost measurement on idle at ~-14.7!

thefunkygibbon

Mk3 Leon Cupra 280
Jan 9, 2012
hi all, ok ive got a el-cheapo usb cable to play with vag-com but was looking at getting a bluetooth one so i can connect it to my android phone/tablet to get live stats from etc.

i have a 2001 mk1 leon cupra 1.8T 180 , can someone advise on which adapter would be best? I see a few obd2 interfaces on ebay but they are from hong kong etc which isnt the best to be honest. anyone know any uk seller or even if one of these interfaces will actually work on my car as i read a few pages back that it'll work only on 2001 models upwards (i know from past experience that since mine is on the borderline there could be a chance that mine isnt included in that)
thanks

thefunkygibbon

Mk3 Leon Cupra 280
Jan 9, 2012
doh i was searching for VAG. ok, so my model leon should be fine with this adapter? Is there way of checking or is it a matter of "i have a post on my car therefore itll work"?

thanks Lee. great help as always.

thefunkygibbon

Mk3 Leon Cupra 280
Jan 9, 2012
been running the adapter now for a while. just wondering if its a good idea/bad idea to have it connected all the time. what do other people do?
i dont fancy keep plugging it in and unplugging it since i'm sure its not going to do the port or the adapter much good.

but
conversely its probably not a good idea to keep it connected since it draws power from the battery all of the time (i know its only a small amount, but my battery went flat after one of my back seat lights were left on in the car for a few days)
also there is potentially a risk in that a random passer by with a bluetooth laptop or something could quite easily guess the BT pin code (1234) and connect and maybe bugger the ECU up (not sure how much you could do without the SKC code)

may well be me just being paranoid though :)

GJF47

May 15, 2011
Hirwaun, South Wales
been running the adapter now for a while. just wondering if its a good idea/bad idea to have it connected all the time. what do other people do?
i dont fancy keep plugging it in and unplugging it since i'm sure its not going to do the port or the adapter much good.

but
conversely its probably not a good idea to keep it connected since it draws power from the battery all of the time (i know its only a small amount, but my battery went flat after one of my back seat lights were left on in the car for a few days)
also there is potentially a risk in that a random passer by with a bluetooth laptop or something could quite easily guess the BT pin code (1234) and connect and maybe bugger the ECU up (not sure how much you could do without the SKC code)

may well be me just being paranoid though :)

Doesn't the ignition have to be on anyway for someone to connect?

derelyth

Jun 11, 2011
Portsmouth
I don't think it drains much of a current - if your car is a daily driver/commuter you'll probably be alright leaving it plugged in, charge wise. I think with mine (Blue/Orange Soliport adapter) you can connect to the adapter as it gets power but you can't connect to the ECU (or at least Torque couldn't) unless the ignition is on.

I think there's one adapter (can't remember which, but it's one which Ian the developer recommends) can be put to sleep when not in use.

For me it's more of a worry about the clips holding the dash-cover in that will snap!

Torque sorely needs the VAG protocol development boosting - Oil temps needed then it'll be perfect!

AshFR

Seat Leon TDi PD150 2005
Mar 10, 2011
Shropshire
photobucket.com
I have a ELM 327 Bluetooth Adaptor and use it with my android phone fine on my 306 hdi. Also plugged it into my brother leon and works fine. Reading codes, showing live data etc.... It is a good bit of kit for the money. Also got an android tablet which would be good to mount in the car to show it all as its a bit of a PITA using the phone with the app running. Also yes, the ignition on/engine running is needed for it to run. You can connect to the adaptor without ignition on as its always got power, but you cant display live data or read codes without igniton on.

Last edited:

luke2702

Cupra K1
Aug 22, 2010
Bolton
Do you only need the bluetooth adaptor and phone app to make this work (i.e. no cables). as really fancy this...

Cheers

TazB

Xbox Gamer Tag = TazCupra
Mar 23, 2007
Glasgow
Do you only need the bluetooth adaptor and phone app to make this work (i.e. no cables). as really fancy this...

Cheers

correct! no cables required although it helps to have a car charger for your phone as GPS drains batteries.

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Does the torque app measure fuel pressure on the Mk1 leon or does need to be measured manually?

Only if the car does and even then only if it's presented as a standard OBD-II PID. I've not been able to see that on my LCR though, think it's only the VAG diesels that have fuel pressure monitoring, it's a bit more critical to diesels than petrols.

RDS1972

Dec 19, 2011
Essex
Errr, not sure where I am going wrong but I can't get the free version of the app to work with the dongle, and not sure how to trouble shoot.
I bought the English dongle as referred to by Lee69 above, and when plugged in it shows a single red light (A little difficult to be 100% as the lights face downwards.)
My HTC One see's the OBD and says it's a paired device, but when I start the car up none of the readings are shown on the phone, and the icon at the top of the screen says "No bluetooth device pairedW and the satellite picture flashes opaque.

Off to scour the wiki.......