Obsessed!

Cupramadhead

U guys are gonna think I need to get out more but... at what rpm does the AGG 2.0 litre, 8 valve, GTI Cupra engine produce its 122 lb ft of peak torque output please? Thats the engine in the Cupra from 1997 to 1999 I think.

I ask because a 1999 Seat brochure I have, states its at 3,200rpm but everywhere else I've searched (including wiki) states its at 2,600rpm?

Also, I'am curous to know what are the differences between the Ibiza Cupra Sport GTI and the Ibiza GTI (both 2.0 litre, 8 valvers)?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

old 'uns

Modern Life is Rubbish...
Mar 20, 2003
walsall
Visit site
snottydyno.jpg

completely standard apart from Remus exhaust

Brummy's old one made a bit more

Cupra Sport was the 'run-out' model, ie they ran out of bits & thought 'stripped out' sounded good.

GTi's may sometimes have slightly better spec , not too sure whether 8v ever got air-con?, sunroofs, all depends on what boxes were ticked when ordered.

take no notice of whats on V5, its only words

Cupramadhead

Wow an thanks!

So the power quoted by Seat (115bhp) is less than what your's produced on the day, abeilt with a perfomance exhaust (full?) on!?

What I could see, on test 2 it did 122.5bhp. Though I'am interested to know what the figure is in the top left hand of the page below the graph? It says 124.2CV. Please could you tell me what this figure is. Is it bhp?

Also what is the 'Lost Power' figure? Surely the engine wouldn't have produced around 15bhp MORE on the road, if thats what the figure is quoting?

Also is Brummy's car a standard 8 valver?

Also, please could you tell me any differences between the GTi and the GTI Cupra Sport. Was there any mechanical differences at all, or was it just limited to equipment levels?

Thanks again, you've been a great help already.

old 'uns

Mar 20, 2003
walsall
Visit site
all 8v's figures i've seen are at least 120+, some up to 130
there are 2 schools of thoughts on these 'official' figures:
lower for Insurance purposes or a greater difference between the 8 & 16v's on paper at least.
CV's i assume are same as BHP, probably some Euro translation for RR prog? ( Chevaux's- French for horses? )
Lost power is transmission loss i think, add this to wheel power givews flywheel figures.

equipment levels only, mechanically same, don't get hung up over it makes no odds.
after 12 yrs i'd be surprised if any car was as left factory

Last edited:

Cupramadhead

all 8v's figures i've seen are at least 120+, some up to 130
there are 2 schools of thoughts on these 'official' figures:
lower for Insurance purposes or a greater difference between the 8 & 16v's on paper at least.
CV's i assume are same as BHP, probably some Euro translation for RR prog? ( Chevaux's- French for horses? )
Lost power is transmission loss i think, add this to wheel power givews flywheel figures.

equipment levels only, mechanically same, don't get hung up over it makes no odds.
after 12 yrs i'd be surprised if any car was as left factory

I must admit, I did say to my wife, that it felt MORE powerful than my 123 bhp, 1999 Ford Puma...

I thought the under estimate of bhp was due to the 'germans' tend to be quite conservative with their figures that I've seen elsewhere..

When you say you've seen all 8 v's at least 120bhp+, do you mean on the rolling road tests. Sorry for my ignorance!

I think the insurance is a good reason, but also the 16v was some 3k more new (alot!) so Seat had to justify that amount of wedge with a greater amount of power over the 8v..I wonder if many would have been sold of the 16v if they had quoted (the more accurate) 120bhp+ and the 130lb ft of torque..

Another thing, do the Cupra's (GTI'S?) have swollen wheel arches front and rear over standard Ibiza's?

When you say as 'left factory' do you mean unmodified and unmolested, or just that cars loose power over time, so the output would be less than factory?

Please could you also recommend a good make and supplier of dampers and springs, because ours are factory, but could do with a change soon and Seat no longer have stock unfortunately?Thanks again for all your help!

old 'uns

Mar 20, 2003
walsall
Visit site
standard arches on all.
next Q i'll bet will be...'can you get wide arches?'...search for F2 is the keyword

top right corner of mk2 Ibiza forum ...black button 'search this forum'...spend a few hours looking through, sometime down the line you'll asking about Pedal Box,Clutch cable, Non starting, wheels yadda yadda enjoy

Last edited:

Cupramadhead

standard arches on all.
next Q i'll bet will be...'can you get wide arches?'...search for F2 is the keyword

top right corner of mk2 Ibiza forum ...black button 'search this forum'...spend a few hours looking through, sometime down the line you'll asking about Pedal Box,Clutch cable, Non starting, wheels yadda yadda enjoy

Lol No! Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not some young un my son, I'm 40 years old! My Cupra is so standard, its like it left the factory yesterday! Hence my questions...

Wide arches? The only thing wide in my car is my middled aged spread of a belly:D

Nope just as I said in the title...I'm obsessed..BUT with details!:)

Thanks again for all your help.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.