odemeter display help please

alaninit

can someone please help, had my ibiza serviced today, i got in it tonight and noticed the odometer display was on before i inserted key, now i;ve had the car from new and am 99% sure that normally when no key inserted then no display, can someone tell me if this is so before i go back to garage?

greg

Aug 31, 2005
Hi mate, this happens to my girlfriends car and also lots of other peoples on this forum. Its a faulty diode in the headunit which causes the unit to switch itself on randomly, even with no key in the ignition! Seat used to send the units away for repair for about £150 i believe but then some members on here went to the repairer direct and got the cost down to £75. Unfortunately the place has now stopped repairing the units (the guy who used to do it left the company), now the only thing seat can do is offer you a replacement unit for £400!!!!

My girlfriend just removes the fuse at the moment to stop her battery going flat, however i have thought of a simple way to add a switch inline with the circuit, ill just look for the thread for you......

alaninit

thanks so much for replying to me creg, you are the only one! sounds far worse than i thought then, i know that it wasn't doing it when they collected it for the service yesterday so do you think it is something they could of caused to happen? i din't have a cassette player in mine to try only cd. if it their fault i will fight for them to put right but if it just coincidence i think the line has now been reached ti et car go.

greg

Aug 31, 2005
Your car has cd instead of a tapedeck as standard? Is the odometer you mention in the centre console? I thought all Mk3 ibizas that were fitted with a trip computer in the centre console had a tape deck as standard. Can you confirm exactly what model and year your car is?

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
Isnt the odometer in the middle of the clocks in the dash?! Odometer counts the miles driven. The one on the center console is the computer display for the car with switchable info for the mpg, average speed etc. If it the one on the dash then mine always came on when you unlocked the doors and got in. Key didnt have to be in the ignition. Pretty much all of the new vag cars say from 2000 do this.

alaninit

sorry if i'm causing confusion everyone, mine is a 2002 1.2 ibiza, i've looked in 5 seats today and thier mileage is on even without the ignition so i think i have just imagined mine to always be off untill i put the key in! i am referring to the odometer or mileometer which is on right hand side of dash in fromt of steering wheel undermneath this is the trip calaculator.

greg

Aug 31, 2005
Ah right...... i was thinking of the trip computer in the centre console!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.