OEM look Head Unit Hunt

Aug 1, 2009
Hemel Hempstead
Well, as the title says. I currently have the Aura tape/6cd combo and am looking to get my ipod into the car. I prefer things understated, and hence dont really want anything that looks too out of place.

After have a look round, the only unit I can really find that fits in is the Becker Grand Prix 7992 or and old Becker Mexico Pro. These look like they were OEM and importantly match the dash in the same way as the other instruments (ie. Red screen black lettering) but man, £300 for the unit and then £90 for an ipod cable is a bit much really :(

So just wondering if anyone really knows of an alternative brand/model that fits these requirements? The newish Pioneers (this and last season) look great and plain, but have their colouring in blue... I mean, how hard can it be at add different lighting???

The only model that I can find that is maybe acceptable is the Kenwood KDC-W7544U (One of the pictures in the link shows it with red illlumination) but cant seem to find one near me to look at... Anyone had any experience with this unit? It goes for about £150 online, so affordable.

But could do with some thoughts on the above.

Cheers all

JP

Aug 1, 2009
Hemel Hempstead
Yes please - I've PM'd you in case you'd like to keep it off thread - and will see how it goes. Been looking into other alternatives too (see other thread in the ICE section) and one of the other forum members has the Kenwood mentioned so will prob contact him to get opinions.

I'm guessing that you have a Becker then, can you confirm if the 6CD changer works with the becker? I would love to keep it as well, just incase.

Mar 3, 2009
Hinckley
i dont have a becker but have a lot of experience with their use and functionality.
the changer wont work as they dont do leads to cater