OEM projector retrofiting question

ebeem

Which type of OEM projector do you think is easiest to retrofit into an MK1 OEM headlight ?

ebeem

i'm still not sure if it's worth retrofitting ...angel eyes kits sell for ~180 euros + hid kit which is at least another ~30 euros ...on the other hand , OEM projectors are ~85 euros (pair) + hid kit ~30 euros ...so it's 210 vs. 115 euros but there is the working hours doing the actual retrofitting over just install the angel eyes unit which is alot of work from what i've seen...any thoughts guys ?

this is the angel eyes kit that i'm looking at http://cgi.ebay.de/Angel-Eyes-Schei...9d7609d6#ht_4591wt_1165&anno=2#ht_4591wt_1165

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
They look real nice here are mine i made

a3f0261f.jpg

ebeem

they look good !! these only have H7 with projectors right ? how long did it take you do them ? did you follow any kind of guide ?

ebeem

i don't mind missing with things like this either but i like to know if it's worth my time or not ..if it takes to much time then i'm better off buying a kit ... i'm gonna get 2 new tire sets next week so depending on how much money i'm left with i'll decide what to do with the lights :)

jake

I AV MOSTLY BEEN BEATING
Feb 2, 2003
rochdale
Visit site
do the std headlights split open then? i know the golf lense is glued on with a solid one time glue where subarus can be warmed then pulled apart,

to do it propperly, get some headlights off a car with factory xenons, and open them and fit those ince buld d2s and ballast much better

ebeem

I think you can warm them up in an oven or using a heat gun and open them with something sharp , and that's what i was talking about when i said retrofitting , i'll get 2 OEM projectors , fit them into my headlights and stick in HIDs , the question remains if it's worth all the work or just get a ready-made angel eyes kit and stick in HIDs ...

jake

I AV MOSTLY BEEN BEATING
Feb 2, 2003
rochdale
Visit site
it will be alot better using propper hid bulbs ie ds2 say from a merc etc, rather than a plug and play, if your going plug and play its better to juat get angel eyes and use them, i was just worried as to wether you could open them

ebeem

ofcourse i'm better off with 2 OEM merc projectors over "cheap" plug and play angel eyes, some people already converted OEM leon lights to angel eyes so i don't think opening them is a problem.

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
ofcourse i'm better off with 2 OEM merc projectors over "cheap" plug and play angel eyes, some people already converted OEM leon lights to angel eyes so i don't think opening them is a problem.

Mine are plug and play angel eyes but i bought them in chrome and then striped them down and sprayed them.
I drove my mates 1999 GS300 sport recently and his factors standard HIDs were no better.

BoomhaueR

Wanna go fasterrrR
Oct 9, 2008
Exeter, Devon
I'd be interested to know which is the better conversion.

Also Lee, where is that above pic?...I recognise it, and Jason's Furby...

jake

I AV MOSTLY BEEN BEATING
Feb 2, 2003
rochdale
Visit site
the key part to hid/xenon is the projector itself, the halogen projector will give a good cut off, but not as good spread of light copared to a genuine oem projector. the focal points of both bulb and lens is different although alot of the us guys did swap out certain lenses to give sharper cut off, iirc one of the best for cut off and colour is the s2000 projector but the headlights cost like £600 a pair.

ebeem

i think installing HIDs on old stock reflectors is useless and even dangerous , the intense light from the HIDs scatters around reflected off the reflector and basically just blinds everyone else on the road ..the reason is that old stock reflectors were not designed to properly handle (reflect) such powerful light and that's why I'm getting a projector , projectors were designed to focus all the HID light to the right place and in a beautiful manner , the cutoff of a projector can't be compared with a "cutoff" of a reflector.

the s2000 projectors are actually 400$ a pair but i believe other projectors are good enough (such as TSX , FX ...) which sell for half the price ...

jake

I AV MOSTLY BEEN BEATING
Feb 2, 2003
rochdale
Visit site
yeah you cannot beat a propper retro fit, aslong as the lamp splits haha, like i said with the old golf it would not split but the scooby would, i actually retro fitted some sl projectors into the scooby,

will try to find pics

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise