Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest - time is running out to book your place at our annual get together. Free car stickers included for attendees: Find out more

Oil Advice and Recommendations

Discussion in 'Opie Oils' started by oilman, Mar 4, 2010.

1. thebigyin

thebigyin New Member

Many thanks Tim.

If it does go, not a great deal lost. webuyanycar.com were quoting a heady £150 for it. Just wanted an idea as to whether the wrong oil was likely to cause damage quickly.

If worst comes to the worst then I can go all European and posthumously celebrate hitting the 300k kms mark! :)

2. dartsi

dartsi New Member

Cheers! I'll probably go for Shell as it's readily available locally. What about the gearbox oil - anything 75w meeting VW spec, I suppose?

3. oilman

oilman Forum Sponsor

4. brian1912

brian1912 Full Member

Hi I'm looking for a 1l top I have a 1.6 tdi ecomotive copra diesel 62 plate cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. oilman

oilman Forum Sponsor

6. brian1912

brian1912 Full Member

Thanks Tim

7. SteA

SteA Full Member

Tim,

Would you be able to give me some advice please before I order some bits:

1. I swapped my Cupra R for a Leon Cupra 280. I have some tubs of Fuchs Titan Super Syn 5W-40 left over from my last order, is that too thick for this engine? It doesn't use any oil (so far) and will be used on track. Do I need a 5W-30 instead, same brand I guess? The other oil won't be wasted as I can use it in our S3.
    2. I have an unopened bottle of Gulf Competition RF1000 brake fluid I got from you approx. 12 months ago, will that still be ok to use? I can't see any expiry dates...

On a slightly separate note, the car currently has the VAG main dealer choice oil of Mobil 1 5W-30 longlife in it, I doubt I will have time to change it before a trackday, but it will get the Fuchs in shortly after, could that be an issue? Do you by chance also know what min and max operating temps are of the Mobil and the Fuchs Titan? Final question, if I needed to top up the mobil 1, can I use a Fuchs oil to do that?

Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks

Steve

8. oilman

oilman Forum Sponsor

Hi Steve

The Supersyn is fine to use, but is not VW approved for longlife servicing. It's fine for annual changes though. It's not a proper performance oil (neither is the ESP), so at higher temps (120-130C ish) the oil is going to break down fairly quickly.

The RF1000 should be absolutely fine after a year. We tend to fly through stock of it, so it really shouldn't be that much older than 12 months.

The Fuchs is fine for topping up the Mobil.

Cheers

Tim

9. SteA

SteA Full Member

Thanks, I may have got mixed up and that oil was the one I got for the S3? I also had the Titan GT1 XTL from you, is that the more performance oil? Overall, what is the best grade and oil to order for the 280, considering I do quite a few short-ish journeys (9-12 miles) and some track days? What temps are the max for the track? Thanks again :)

10. oilman

oilman Forum Sponsor

Hi Steve

The GT1 is similar to the Supersyn, but meets more up to date specs. The Fuchs Pro S is their performance oil. I would use a 5w-40 in it.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx

Out of those, the best ones are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS/CFS NT+, Motul Sport/300V, Red Line and Gulf Competition. The Motul 8100 X-Cess, Millers XF Longlife, Castrol Edge/Magnatec, Fuchs GT1 XTL/Supersyn, Shell Helix and Mobil Super 3000 are good, cheaper alternatives.

Cheers

Tim

11. SteA

SteA Full Member

Brilliant thanks, I will go for the Fuchs Pro S, do you know the max temp on track?

12. oilman

oilman Forum Sponsor

Hi

The Pro S is fine up to 130C, and blips of higher temps.

Cheers

Tim

13. icestorm81

icestorm81 Full Member

Hi, I am going to do a oil change on my leon cupra r mk1. What is the best oil to use, as it's a hybrid turbo with over 370hp. Car is driven most days and is driven hard when safe to do so. Thanks

14. oilman

oilman Forum Sponsor

I would look to use an ester based synthetic 5w-40 for all year round use. Ideal for both road and track use.

Have a look at the likes of the Motul Sport, Fuchs Titan Race, Millers CFS and the Gulf Competition here http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx

Cheers

Guy

15. vwtrev

vwtrev Full Member

Hi Oilman, i'm looking for oil for my other car, a Skoda Octavia vRS 2.0 TDI PD (2008) that is about to be remapped. It needs VW507 as per the manual. Has 94,000 on the clock.

A look on your website brings up an array of oils, I'm liking the Gulf in my Seat at the moment, the FUCH's is a good price, as is the Millers Trident (I used to run Milllers in my Subaru) but then Mobil 1 is a big name (but is it any better) and some are Longlife and my car has the variable service interval but i'd still look to change the oil / filter every year / 10,000 miles.

So is Longlife any better / different, is there a point in running Longlife when changing every year, or as my car is about to be remapped should I look at a 5W-40 instead of the 5W-30. It's my daily driver.

Cheers

Trev.

16. icestorm81

icestorm81 Full Member

Many thanks, went for the Fuchs Titan Race Pro S 5W-40 Ester Fully Synthetic Engine Oil in the end.

17. stephanutz_boca

stephanutz_boca New Member

Hello .I have a Cupra mk2 bwj with 70.000 miles on it.What oil is good( ester) for my engine? I narrowed it to mobil 1 esp formula, motul specific'mobil 1 new life, or shell rotella t6 (hsrd to find here in romania). Thanks in advance.currently running on castrol edge ll3, but its noisy and eating it. 7k and its at minimum.
    Best regards.

Trimis de pe al meu SM-G935F folosind Tapatalk

18. MattSee

MattSee Full Member

Good morning Guy,

Looking for Opie's cheapest recommended oil & filter kit for 2 (very different) cars:

Car 1:

Make: SEAT
    Model: IBIZA 1.4
    Year: 2006
    Engine type: 1.4 Petrol DOHC 75PS
    Performance modifications: None
    Driving style: (road / off-road / track etc): Road
    Mileage: 89,000
    Required: Engine oil & filter

The jury seems to be out on whether fully synthetic or semi

Car 2:

Make: SEAT
    Model: IBIZA CUPRA TDi
    Year: 2006
    Engine type: 1.9 Diesel 158PS
    Performance modifications: Darkside Developments intake manifold (no turbo or intercooler mods)
    Driving style: Road
    Mileage: 85,000
    Required: Engine oil, filter

Thanks

19. oilman

oilman Forum Sponsor

Hi

These are for the 1.4

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-2355-l...:0,219533:0,220325:0,262735:0&yearFilter=2006

And these for the diesel

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-2355-l...3~255324,262767:255323~255324&yearFilter=2006

If you want to save some money, just select the filter for each car (diesel - https://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-2701-l...:0,212106:0,212942:0,213216:0&yearFilter=2006, petrol - https://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-2701-l...12,213480:0,213297:0,213216:0&yearFilter=2006) and then you can use other suitable oils.

Something like the Fuchs Supersyn is fine for the petrol one.

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-984-fu...h-performance-fully-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx

And the Millers trident longlife is a good cheaper option for the diesel.

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-115290...onglife-5w-40-fully-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx

Despite what some think, there isn't really a debate over synthetic and semi. A synthetic is best for a relatively new car, and actually most classics as well, you just need to pick the right oil. The only real advantage with a semi is that it's cheap. In a worn engine a semi can make it a bit quieter, but picking the right synthetic will do that as well, and give better protection.

Cheers

Tim

#739 oilman, Mar 8, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  20. unclebob

unclebob Full Member

i have a seat altea - 05 plate, manual 2.tdi bkd engine, and standard(no mods). has 130,000 miles on it, but i dont believe it has had gearbox oil changed. Please can you tell me what spec it needs and possibly how much if you know?