Oil Catch Can fitted - EGR Valve Gasket

and looking back at your pictures, have you actually fitted the catch can to the breather tube rather than the exit tube with the PCV valve in it?

Tell me altea-ego, where is this supposed PCV valve on the 2.0 BKD Engine? The documentation you have shown is for a Corvette V6/V8 not a VAG TDI engine.

I have searched through ETKA and cannot find any PVC Valve fitted or a breather pipe that comes from the crankcase and enters the Air intake/FMIC pipework. I have tried following the Air intake ducting on my BKD engine and cannot find any other PCV/Oil breather pipe entering the Air Intake pipe work.

Your explanation maybe worthy of a mention but seems totally irrelevant in this case.

If you have read several threads in this Altea Forum, there are a number of guys reporting Oily FMICs this is due to Oil from the Rocker cover being sucked into the Air intake via this pipe.

When I check my own intake from the breather pipe entry point and put my finger into the inlet of the Air intake pipework to feel there was considerable oil on the inside of this inlet. Thus the reason for fitting an OCC here.

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
Tell me altea-ego, where is this supposed PCV valve on the 2.0 BKD Engine? .
I think it's "welded" into the cam cover, if I'm not mistaken:) A very good article with lots of food for thought and basis for much discussion, altho' I may have already said enough(no critisism was implied) p.s. I think you should check your pipe run before getting ratty with other people:shrug:

altea-ego

Dec 7, 2004
Toxic, good to see you have done your homework, like I said before its a good article. It was a question, not a critism by the way.

I posted the article link for its content regarding the different types of catch tanks, not for its fitment guide on the corvette. It may put other members off buying a cheap one from ebay.

The pcv comment in the article, reminded me of other engines (ford xflow) where the crank fumes go to the inlet manifold (via a simple catch can, that drained to the sump) and the rocker breather goes to the air filter housing. On the altea its impossible to see anything at the bottom, hence my question.

Yeah tbh have read quite a few articles myself and most say they either vent to air (older engines) or just have a breather pipe (common in Diesels) but the PCV system seems to be more common in Petrol turbo engines. where the pressure could blow back into the engine if the vent is direct to the air intake.

even with older cars I always pulled most of the breather pipes off when doing an oil change just to check and clean them if they go bunged up.

Anyway googies had posted his findings on the 1.9 tdi Toledo from Breather pipe and it looks like a major fault with all VAG TDIs. the breather pipe has no filtration on it at all and it need to have one to stop the intake/fmic being filled up with nasty back oil

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
Toxic - does your catch can remove the majority of oil or is the intake still oily?
I'm still amazed by the amount of oil my basic, free venting one catches.

it catches quite a bit of oil. the intake is still oily due to the oil is also smokey and oil traces line the inside of the intake. you will never have a totally dry intake unless venting to air and clean all intake pipe work first.

should be cleaning my oil catch can out again weekend after next. I usually clean it out with paraffin, which is brilliant for lifting all the sludge.

Wizardtm

Nice mod ! Not only good looking but also better for the engine.

Does anybody know if this mod can also be done on a commonrail diesel ? And if it is usefull to do on a commonrail diesel ?

Apr 4, 2011
woodford green
Toxic this looks very good how often do you have to clean it out ?

& could you post a piccie where it connects to the existing pipework so I can see what to do

Thanks

Mm

Toxic this looks very good how often do you have to clean it out ?

& could you post a piccie where it connects to the existing pipework so I can see what to do

Thanks

Mm

about every 3 months i clean it. definatelly no longer than that. the amount of oil is not excessive but it collects oild vapour and condensation that turns to what could only be described as Black Gunge ;)

as for a picture this image should show where:

IMG_0291.JPG

Click on top of image to enlarge it.

top pipe on the Catch can goes to the Breather outlet on top of the rocker cover.

Bottom Pipe on Catch Can goes to the Air Intake pipe (intercooler)

does that help?

Apr 4, 2011
woodford green
about every 3 months i clean it. definatelly no longer than that. the amount of oil is not excessive but it collects oild vapour and condensation that turns to what could only be described as Black Gunge ;)

does that help?

thats fab simon when i get a chance will sort it out too

thanks a bunch

mm

rich

MWG

Oct 6, 2008
Hertfordshire
I have a cheap anodised aluminium one that i got from HERE, if you vent to atmosphere like i do you might also want a breather filter from them. If you get that one you'll also need some pipe, i bought 2m of 12.5mm ID EPDM that i got from hoseworld

The issue with these tanks is that they have no internal baffling or restriction so i made some from a piece of stainless sheet and one of those breather filters. I made up a mounting bracket from some steel to mount it in the same place Toxic has his. I also made an adaptor to connect it to the breather and a bung to block off the intake pipe out of some aluminium. That way i can remove the tank and everything goes back to standard without leaving any traces :D

Joec1

Feb 9, 2010
Wiltshire
MWG - Do you notice reduced Oil in the induction system and intercooler?

any chance you could post a few pictures of your system? or direct me to them?

cheers.

MWG

Oct 6, 2008
Hertfordshire
I haven't checked the inter-cooler piping since i installed it, judging by the amount that i'm seeing in the tank its definitely made an improvement.

You can't really tell but the outlet runs down between the body and washer bottle and under the car with a breather filter stuck on the end, i do get a bit of visible smoke when sitting at lights which was a bit disconcerting the first time i saw it

5860782260_6c96e37ee0_z.jpg

Here's the bung and adaptor i made from aluminium

5860781662_43406615f2_z.jpg

and with the cover installed

5860228279_87f7a324e5_z.jpg

Haven't got any photos of the inside, never took any when i made it all and last time i tried to clean it i couldn't get the bottom off. On my list of things to sort out since i figured out how to do it with out doing irreversible damage

I've also just realised how filthy my engine bay is :redface:

Wizardtm

Looks very nice and when I read the postings you can prevent a lot of oil / dirt getting back into the engine.

Has anybody done this mod on a common rail TDI already ? Is it usefull on a common rail ?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.