1. Hi Guest. We've recently updated our forum rules. Please take some time to review them. You can read the new rules here
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

Oil Catch Can Fitting Guide - 1.4Tsi MK3 Leon

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Lozzy15, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Lozzy15

Lozzy15 Mods mods mods

Hi guys and gals,
    Just a quick guide today - how to fit a oil catch can for your engine. This is very simple and virtually anyone can do this with minimal tools. If you're wondering whether to bother fitting a catch can, google will explain much better than me, but essentially it helps capture oil from the air circulating from the engine back into the engine intake. Although it is only a small amount, over time it adds up and can eventually affect the performance of the engine/coke up valves & intake pipes etc etc. Since it's a relatively cheap mod to do, is simple to install and doesn't adversely affect the engine, I figured I'd fit one.

Car fitted to:
    2017 1.4Tsi ACT Engine code CZEA
    As far as I am aware, other 1.4's with/without the ACT system should have the same/similar breather connections & locations as illustrated in this guide.

What you will need:
    Oil catch can
    10mm Tubing (Around 2 meter's)
    Jubilee clips
    Cable ties
    Scissors

I acquired my whole setup from the internet, and in total it cost around £20.

First off check your tank to ensure it is sealed and won't leak once mounted, otherwise over time you'll end up with oil around where it is mounted. Some tanks may have a level indicator to make it easy to check how full they are, some also come with a drain plug. Ensure these are also correctly attached/tightened.

Once you've done that you need to select a place to mount the can itself. There is a handy location on the offside (Driver's side) next to one of the engine mounts that I found a good place to use. The engine mount also has an empty bolt hole that I used to mount it. Note that depending on which kind of tank you purchased, you may need to modify/create a mount that allows it to mount to this bolt hole. I had to slightly bend the mount provided with mine:
    [​IMG]

Next, you need to locate and remove the existing breather pipes. On this particular engine these are the 2 locations:
    Opposite the oil filler cap
    [​IMG]

Attached to the airbox
    [​IMG]

Note that my airbox isn't standard, however the breather pipe will go to this location and attach behind the original box.

Once you have removed the original pipes, which should just pull off, remove the original piping and then attach your new pipes. Measure how far they need to go to the catch can and trim accordingly. Secure them with jubilee clips:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once attached, route where the pipes are going to go and attach them to the tank. Take note whether the tank has a designated inlet/outlet and attach as required. The inlet should come from the pipe attached near the oil filler cap. The outlet should go to the airbox. My tank had no specific inlet/outlet so it didn't matter how they were connected:
    [​IMG]

Once done, cable tie the pipes to existing pipes to ensure they don't move and are kept out of the way of moving parts. Note that I have routed my pipes to ensure they don't go over the exhaust/turbo area to avoid excess heat affecting the pipes:
    [​IMG]

Now you can start the engine and check for any air leaks. Once checked, all done! Simply keep an eye on the tank over time and empty it when required.

Good luck,
    Lozzy

Jimbobcook likes this.
  2. Yern

Yern Active Member

Well presented :clap:

Lozzy15 likes this.