Oil change

teeth2k

Feb 8, 2003
sussex
Visit site
Do people recommend using oil extraction pumps for oil changes to save the hassle of jacking the car up, removing the under tray, removing the sump bolt?

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
yes but with any "first time" it's a good idea to do it both ways suck then remove the plug to see if you've done a good job some cars even with an experienced operator will leave too much in there

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
I do an oil change every 6 months using an extraction pump for 3 changes then drain via the sump.

By playing with the extraction pipe I can move it around to keep finding little pockets of oil, even sucking out inside the oil filter housing. Some of that will never completely drop to the sump so would be missed in the normal drain method.

Getting a magnetic sump plug (Opie do them here) helps with keeping any nasties out of the system.

Last edited:

Bigals

Aug 31, 2018
I use a electronically powered suction pump and get the engine nice and hot first then let it sit for 20mins to let the oil drain back but once I have extracted all the dirty oil that I can I then pour about 750ml of fresh oil in and Wait until it works its way to the sump and extract that along with any more dirty oil been pushed into the sump by the fresh cold oil. this way you definitely remove more of the dirty oil and as i always have part of the 5lt can left from the last change its just using oil that wont get used up.
but even if i take the sump plug out always run some fresh oil through to purge whats in the sump. but in all honesty taking the sump plug off is better for removing more oil but as i always change the oil early prior to it getting to dirty having a few hundred ml left in is not much of a concern

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members