oil consumption fix possibility?

Jun 17, 2011
Grimsby/Birmingham
My dealer just rang and said that Seat "have a fix' for the oil consumption by having a breather part which they've ordered for me and going to be put on next week along with a software update so hopefully that will stop the oil issue and allow me to continue with my engine mods!!! Fingers crossed this works and will put a stop to this problem and let us enjoy the car!

Nov 23, 2010
Dunfermline, Fife
Fingers crossed eh ? I just called seat to inform them of my new oil issues, and he said they know about the oil breather 'fix' but parts for it are are hard to get right now. Its going in on wednesday for other problems so i'll let him dip the oil and see its gone lol.

matthab

Jun 16, 2010
West Midlands
My dealer told me I cant have it unless it fails a consumption test.

Which I think is bonkers if this fixes it before I have issues. Currently waiting for Seat to catch up with me.

Nov 23, 2010
Dunfermline, Fife
Thing is by the time all these issues are sorted and we can all finally enjoy the cars, we will all be long gone to other cars outwith the seat brand possibilly.
I'm even now looking at other cars as i've almost had my fill of the engine issue.
Got my eye on a nice Lexus IS 250 f sport.... nice lol

Aug 3, 2011
I asked before but the breather pipe is literally the pipe from the intake to the engine block isnt it? How can that fix the issues

Jay

lucifer666

Dec 17, 2006
Cardiff
This is actually not good for us. The piston rings were responsible for oil consumption problem and people have been having these changed under warrenty now along with new forged pistons.

These engines consume oil anyway without problems and this breather is a solution for that oil consumption. This new part has come from the revised 1.4tsi engine which has a different engine code and kept on the quiet by vw.

Many parts different with this new one inc pistons, rings, oil seperator, crank barings, breather pipes and even the additon of an oil cooler

I can see them fobbing people off with the breather pipes as a solution to serious ring problems not good. I would do anything for one of those new engines

Last edited:

matthab

Jun 16, 2010
West Midlands
I asked before but the breather pipe is literally the pipe from the intake to the engine block isnt it? How can that fix the issues

Jay
Read here:

Consensus on the MK 1 forum is that this is caused by a cylinder bore and piston ring wear occasioned over rich mixture caused by one or a combination of the following factors:-

1). Faulty fuel injectors which leak raw petrol into the cylinder bores when the engine is switched off.
2). Faulty Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve.
3) Blocked crankcase breather, giving rise to increased crankcase gas pressure and oil being forced by the oil control rings and burnt in the cylinders.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2010
May have to see if i can get ones of these sorted, anyone got a part number or what it actually changes?

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK

Jay

I can only assume that some of the oil use is caused by increased crank case pressure forcing oil passed the rings.

the new breather will probably be designed to reduce crank case pressure build up and if set up correctly it will even produce negative pressure ( slight vacuum )

EDIT - matthab beat me to it !!

Last edited:

lucifer666

Dec 17, 2006
Cardiff
Read here:

Increased crank pressure wouldnt be much of a problem if the rings were in tact. air leaking passed the rings from cylinders will make this worse.

I have personal experience with the crank ventilation system. My PCV valve got blown off and the pipe leading to it was split. Due to such high crank pressure. the valve couldnt pass enough air to relieve it so the tube split and the valve got blown off. I tried blowing through it too afterwards and couldnt so i think its knackered. Ive just vented this pipe to the atmosphere with a tiny filter at the end of it.

Do you have a link for this mk1 forum. Would be interested to talk to some people on there

cheers

LukeWS

Jun 13, 2012
Leicester
My dealer just rang and said that Seat "have a fix' for the oil consumption by having a breather part which they've ordered for me and going to be put on next week along with a software update so hopefully that will stop the oil issue and allow me to continue with my engine mods!!! Fingers crossed this works and will put a stop to this problem and let us enjoy the car!

What dealer is this? As mine where "looking" for a solution from other dealers last time i checked so i suppose any info will help :)

The Pielander

May 2, 2007
West Midlands
I had the call today too to bring the car in for a software update. No mention of a breather pipe but as the new engine was fitted last week maybe it already has it. Here's hoping ;)

Jun 17, 2011
Grimsby/Birmingham
My dealer is in Grimsby as that's where I live...said that I'm the first to have the oil consumption. They said they got the info from Seat HQ and mentioned the breather pipe then my dealer went and ordered me one ready to fit next tues.

Last edited:

LukeWS

Jun 13, 2012
Leicester
My dealer is in Grimsby as that's where I live...said that I'm the first to have the oil consumption. They said they got the info from Seat HQ and mentioned the breather pipe then my dealer went and ordered me one ready to fit next tues.

Cheers mate ill let them know when i take mine in will be nice if this fixs it :)

G3K

3 points and counting...
Aug 14, 2010
Hatfield, Herts
Thing is by the time all these issues are sorted and we can all finally enjoy the cars, we will all be long gone to other cars outwith the seat brand possibilly.
I'm even now looking at other cars as i've almost had my fill of the engine issue.
Got my eye on a nice Lexus IS 250 f sport.... nice lol

Do it mate. You won't look back.

I'm loving my IS200 and the forum is good too

G3K

3 points and counting...
Aug 14, 2010
Hatfield, Herts
Loads of car for £15k My only concern is the RWD, :rofl:

If you're feeling brave take the TCS off and have some fun! They aren't anywhere near as fast as the Boc's but to be honest when you're driving it you don't want to thrash it, just a nice smooth drive and the engine sound...can't beat it!

Nov 23, 2010
Dunfermline, Fife
If you're feeling brave take the TCS off and have some fun! They aren't anywhere near as fast as the Boc's but to be honest when you're driving it you don't want to thrash it, just a nice smooth drive and the engine sound...can't beat it!

also saw a new focus st in the flesh and liked it some also. This was on the way back from dropping the boc off again. See what that brings. Will update this once i get info from them.
s