oil consumption fix possibility?

lawrieIbizaMk4

Team Boc!
Aug 31, 2009
Milngavie, Glasgow
www.bebo.com
Just checked my oil to see none on the dip stick. Stuck about 2 litres in, which brings it back up. No bloody light on or anything, I only checked the oil a week ago.

Will I have done any damage or would I know?!

Sent from my fingers using Muscle power HD

A lot of people don't realise, there is NO oil level sensor in these cars, only an oil pressure sensor. Kind of silly considering...just make weekly checks a habit. Mine has used 1/2 litre in 2 weeks :S

Waiting a while to take it in because if it needs a new engine I would much rather have the one out the facelift Cupra :p

TDI ste

Jul 7, 2009
Sunny Manchester
Just thought Id have my 2p's worth on this thread.
My mate has a 2011 Fabia VRS and it has the oil issue.... Been back to skoda numerous times and they couldnt get to the bottom of it.
Its had compression tests and everythig. In November 2012 thw dealership took the car for about 2 weeks and did 300 miles in it tp see how much oil it used.... It did indeed use quite alot so they did this Breathing mod thingy and told my mate this would cure it. Well it hasnt and the car is going back to the Skoda dealership and I reckon its going to be a new engine as they mentioned this possibility lasy year.

Baxterlad

Jan 24, 2013
Drove the car today and now think I can hear a ticking noise when I'm inside the car. Maybe I'm imagining it, but could that have due to low oil?

lucifer666

Dec 17, 2006
Cardiff
yes and no luck, also my radiator broke the day after warrenty ended. No luck with that either, hence my engine rebuild. I would do a pcv bypass to stop your engine sucking in oil as i know thats how most cars are drinking oil. But thats because crank preassures are too high and thats down to the rings being crap which also causes some oil to be consumed.

I think the whole breather upgrade is a joke. Vw know that people know about these oil consumption problems, which are a sign of piston ring wear which means a new engine once invstigated. If they can slow consumption through a breather mod, less people would notice the consumption so less people would take their car in and by the time the oil consumption is noticed its out of warrenty. Cleaver by vw but I will NEVER buy off them again.

I have had an ibiza and 3 golfs before this car. They have been boycotted and have lost a loyal customer.

Baxterlad

Jan 24, 2013
I did mate. Check the last page re level! Lol

Beazy

Sep 21, 2011
My car has now done 4L in 9.5k... Service time soon so might see about a cheeky consumption test to chance my luck :shrug:

WRC555

Feb 18, 2005
Slovenia
www.seat.gostovanje.ws
yes and no luck, also my radiator broke the day after warrenty ended. No luck with that either, hence my engine rebuild. I would do a pcv bypass to stop your engine sucking in oil as i know thats how most cars are drinking oil. But thats because crank preassures are too high and thats down to the rings being crap which also causes some oil to be consumed.

I think the whole breather upgrade is a joke. Vw know that people know about these oil consumption problems, which are a sign of piston ring wear which means a new engine once invstigated. If they can slow consumption through a breather mod, less people would notice the consumption so less people would take their car in and by the time the oil consumption is noticed its out of warrenty. Cleaver by vw but I will NEVER buy off them again.

I have had an ibiza and 3 golfs before this car. They have been boycotted and have lost a loyal customer.

Thanks for the reply. My turbo also whistles at high RPM. I'm so angry on Seat that i don't want another one!!!!

As for oil consumption, I will see what it can be done. I'm waiting for them to reply tomorrow. You paid yourself??

Baxterlad

Jan 24, 2013
If there is damage done to the engine due to the oil issue, are the obliged to fix/replace it? If it does go low and I didn't notice it for a day!?!

lucifer666

Dec 17, 2006
Cardiff
yes, sucking in oil effectively lowers the octane of the fuel you are using, and if you use low octane, say 90 ron then you have the risk of detonation which puts further stress on the fragile pistons. Think a oil catch can is a must with these engines after looking into it. Ibizaracebrake had the right idea when he fitted this during his engine rebuild

Matt17121991

Nov 2, 2010
Redditch
I am now out of warranty aswell! I can get an extended warranty so to speak, but not from SEAT dealership, is this worth it? It's £220 a year, which seems cheap to me, I'm worried I won't get parts fixed properly ect and if my engine goes bump, no back up!

Matt17121991

Nov 2, 2010
Redditch
Saying that though, My oil consumption isn't half as bad as some of the members' posts on this thread! Mine uses about half a litre every 1000miles roughly! Which I find ok to manage.

toathus

Feb 26, 2012
I've been monitoring mine since I've had it, just over a year now.

Car picked up with 5600 miles, now on just over 18,000.

In that time it has drank 3.5 litres of oil, which in is OK in comparison to some other on here.

By the way, what other 4cyl engines have a habit of burning oil? Does the Honda V-tec for example drink a significant amount?

Matt17121991

Nov 2, 2010
Redditch
I've been monitoring mine since I've had it, just over a year now.

Car picked up with 5600 miles, now on just over 18,000.

In that time it has drank 3.5 litres of oil, which in is OK in comparison to some other on here.

By the way, what other 4cyl engines have a habit of burning oil? Does the Honda V-tec for example drink a significant amount?

What year is your car mate? Sounds like a newer one

toathus

Feb 26, 2012
It's a 2011 and the engine code is 'CAVE' so not one of the new units in the facelift models. I think the oil consumption was worse last year during the summer.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise