Oil in the coolant tank

Mar 23, 2019
Hi looking for some advice. I have a seat leon 2.0 tdi 140bhp this morning jumped in on way to work. Noticed there was no heat with blowers on full and turned to hi. Next I get the engine temp flashing pulls over and checked the water full of oil I got the car home its been sitting there all day and there is oil all under the car and the engine is now empty. The oil seems to be at the back of the engine. But it is all over the place. I was thinking it was head gasket but does this sound like an oil cooler has gone? Thanks for any help.

Reactions: John Wilkinson
Feb 16, 2020
Having this same problem. Last night my "check oil level" light came on, being dark and cold i poured around 2L in and continued on. About an hour or so later my "coolant level" light came on pulled over to a garage to put some water in and when the car cooled a little and i started opening to coolant expanison bottle there was oil everywhere! Nursed it all the way home and still now the expanion tank is full off oil! Engine seems to have oil too? If you find any siluations could you please keep me posted?

I drive a 2014 1.6 tdi seat leon with a 113k so hoping it is not the head gasket

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
I'm not up with the very latest diesels but on the slightly older models there was an Oil/Water intercooler where the oil filter was fitted. if the inside of this device ruptured - not unknown - you ended up with exactly this problem. Jolly good fun trying to then subsequently clear all the emulsified oil from the cooling system - that is if the engine wasn't terminally damaged by the experience!

Mar 23, 2019
Having this same problem. Last night my "check oil level" light came on, being dark and cold i poured around 2L in and continued on. About an hour or so later my "coolant level" light came on pulled over to a garage to put some water in and when the car cooled a little and i started opening to coolant expanison bottle there was oil everywhere! Nursed it all the way home and still now the expanion tank is full off oil! Engine seems to have oil too? If you find any siluations could you please keep me posted?

I drive a 2014 1.6 tdi seat leon with a 113k so hoping it is not the head gasket
Mine was the oil cooler. I changed the cooler oil new filter and flushed the engine with warm water while the engine ran. Got alot out but still residue in the system. The new coolent is still bringing oil to the top so I keep emptying the expansion tank and toping up with coolent it's getting better slowly. hope this helps.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise