Oil lamp flashes on and off

I have a leon 2000 but the other day the oil lamp came on so checked the oil level and i topped it up OVER the max line [about 15mm].
The light still keeps flashing on and off!
Is because I have filled too much or maybe something else?
Would the light stop flashing if I took that extra oil out? [its driving absolutly mad]

Thanks

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
Isnt that related to oil pump? How does the car drive? when was it last serviced?
Have it scan on vag

truCido

Race Lupo in progress...
Dec 11, 2003
Bristol
www.vagowners.co.uk
you shouldnt really fill your car over the MAX line as that can have even worse effects e.g. oil overflowing into places you really dont want it!!

But as for it flashing on and off it could be your oil pump playing up / possibly losing oil pressure temporarily which is bad....

Thanks guys
So would the light come on if the oil is overfilled?
Has that happenned to anyone or is it just the sensor...
thanks

NickT

Mar 29, 2004
LB, Beds
This is what the owners manual says:
"If the lamp flashes although the oil level is in order, DO NOT DRIVE. Do not even run engine at idling speed - call in expert assistance."
It also says that the oil pressure warning lamp is not an oil level indicator. (I know indirectly low oil would lead to low pressure).
As mentioned earlier, until you get a VAG diagnostic done ASAP, you won't know whether it's a dodgy sensor or oil pump, and you don't want to find it's the latter the hard way.

NickT

Mar 29, 2004
LB, Beds
Weird, mine's an 01 LC as well...an early one mind (X reg).
As you said they must have changed the Owner's Manual, there's not an obvious publication date on mine except a "...we reserve the right to alter at any time..." statement inside the back cover dated 1999 Seat S.A. :shrug:

update
I wish I was a mechanic now

Went to a garage yesterday and the guy said i can change the oil but cannot guarantee the light is going to stop as only seat dealers can check the electronic side of it.

So went to seat dealer and he said its just because its overfilled and the pressure its not how it should be when oil is overfilled or below minimum.

So he just changed the oil [up to max line this time] and he said off you go now...[£72 squid for 5 min]

I drove for about 2 miles and it started again.
Went back there and he said the pressure switch has got oil over it when it overfilled so he cleaned it.. Drove for another 3 miles and seems allright at the moment

Mechanic said it might come on again for a bit until its fully dry from oil

So there you go
Whatever you do don't overfill that freaking oil

and thanks for the replies

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.