Oil level at 1/3 after 1000 miles

mainaman

Feb 19, 2010
London
I have been checking the dipstick regularly and yesterday i noticed that the dipstick level has gone below the middle.I checked several times today to be sure,then bought 1ltr 5W/40.

I know that a new engine can burn oil and i don't know if it was full in the first place,but so early:think:

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
Saying that I didn't check the level when I first got it. It was just below the full mark on the dip stick.

warren_cox

Back from the dead
How did you run the car in?

Gently, or

normal everyday driving style (after letting it warm up)?

How you run a car in can affect oil usage. Any cars I have pampered have used much more oil than the ones I have driven normally from the off. Motorbike engines that are run in more aggressively are supposed to seal better, but I've never found any conclusive proof as to which is the best method.

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
well iv driven mine a squillion miles and people pay me to put petrol in it :p

JOKE OBV! haha

I lose :(

How did you run the car in?

Gently, or

normal everyday driving style (after letting it warm up)?

How you run a car in can affect oil usage. Any cars I have pampered have used much more oil than the ones I have driven normally from the off. Motorbike engines that are run in more aggressively are supposed to seal better, but I've never found any conclusive proof as to which is the best method.

Sounds like you've been reading the same info as me mate :)

mainaman

Feb 19, 2010
London
I've just checked mine and its used less than half a litre in 4k miles.

How do you know it used less than a half a litre,all i see is the markings on the dipstick and mine was just above the low limit,before filling some?

What's the difference between the low and max on the markings oil quantity wise,1 litre?

Last edited:

EdHorny

Loves his Boc.
Oct 12, 2008
Burntwood
mainaman, fill the oil back up to full and see how much you used to fill it back up, that's how you know how much you were down by.

After seeing this thread I checked mine. It was very low, went to Halfords to get me some oil and after checking with techie found that the oil needed is 5w40 vw 505.01, but it was labelled for a Turbo Diesel. It's a twin turbo so can see why a 1.4TSI Super/Turbo can need such oil.

750ml was how much I needed, checked around the engine, there was some oil residue near the side of the filler, but no leaks.

£15 for a litre of Castrol GTX, I thought it was steep, but when I saw the BP logo on the back, I realised why, I think the BP logo was £5 alone. LOL

ED

Mar 13, 2010
You do realise catrol GTX isnt that great oil, for the diesel guys your wanting Mobil 1 esp, ive seen it in asda of all places for £33 for 5 litres. For petrol you want something like Fuchs supersynth or Silokene Pro S if you want the best.

As for bruning oil quick it could depend on how you drive, i would just keep an eye on it and if it keeps burning really quick then get someone to have a look at it. Its usually about a litre between min and max on the dipstick.

mainaman

Feb 19, 2010
London
I bought Shell Helix Ultra,they had 5W-40 for diesels and for non-diesels,both conformed to VW505.00(not 505.01,but i thought it should be okay for topup).15 quid for a liter.

The level was just above the minimal(the markings),so i poured almost the whole tube and now it is slightly above the markings,like1-2mm(i think it was showing above the max weeks ago as well).But the manual shows that it can be above the markings,zone A.

I am worried that MAYBE i have overfilled with up to 200 ml;overfilling can cause harm to the engine and the converters,but can 200 ml(if there is really any oil over the level) screw something like getting to the crankcase:think:

Just checked today,the narrow zone above the markings is dry,i suppose everything is ok.

Last edited:

Dannydp

Jan 26, 2007
I've used Castrol Edge Sport 0w-40 in my Cupra today is this Ok, £20 for 1ltr at my local BP :cry: Only used 1/4 ltr. Just thought I'd check my oil and it was bang on the minimum n I've only done just over 1000 miles :confused: Not got the manual to hand as I'm at my girlfriends. Liked the sound of the cars using turbo diesel oil thought as I can get that free so i'll be looking in to that one :p

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.